The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Bathroom remodel

So our plan is to move in a year or two... one of the biggest things in our house that needs a desperate upgrade is the bathroom. We also only have one bathroom. I think we could take one of the closets in the master bedroom (it is right next to the bathroom) and put in a small half bath for the master, and make a smaller, but the space better used full bath. But the question I keep coming back to "is it worth it". I could spend a lot less money and make the full bath very nice, but I'm afraid it would be harder to sell with only 1 bath.

Its a 3bd ranch in a very good school district, if that helps.

Just wanted a general opinion

Quote Originally Posted by EventingJ View Post
    So our plan is to move in a year or two... one of the biggest things in our house that needs a desperate upgrade is the bathroom. We also only have one bathroom. I think we could take one of the closets in the master bedroom (it is right next to the bathroom) and put in a small half bath for the master, and make a smaller, but the space better used full bath. But the question I keep coming back to "is it worth it". I could spend a lot less money and make the full bath very nice, but I'm afraid it would be harder to sell with only 1 bath.

Its a 3bd ranch in a very good school district, if that helps.

Just wanted a general opinion
    I would never buy a one bath home, but I certainly would buy a 1 1/2 bath home. So there's my personal opinion.

The more potential buyers, the more likely you are to sell quickly and at a good price. Add a shower into that half bath and you've got a winner.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

Walk a couple of real estate agents through now. Have them tell you what you need to do to get the place sold. They should be able to tell you how much it will gain you selling price for a 1 bath versus 1.5 bath. Then you can decide if it is worth the money and disruption to add the half bath.

They will likely point out other things that as the homeowner you just don't see but a potential buyer will see.
    You don't need to sign on the dotted line with the agent to list now. It also gives you a chance to vet out a couple of agents without the pressure to list now.
    The agent may also have a good idea where the additional bath could go that you might not think of.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

These days 3bed, 1bath will be a difficult sell. Hell, I just got through viewing a load of condos that were 1bed, 1den (barely) but still has 2 full, inexplicable baths.
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

It is surprising with IKEA and Home Depo's how inexpensive some bathroom fixtures/cabinets can be. Heck, Costco recently had this awesome, freestanding, oval bathtub very inexpensively - would have loved it in my house.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

You don't have to spend many thousands on bathroom remodel. Get a floor model vanity, and sink combo at the big box store, replace the toilet if it's not low flow, and for conventional shower curtain tub/shower combos put in a curved shower rod. Make sure grout around the tub or shower is pristine.

I love the idea of getting a good realtor to walk through and advise you about upgrades. Some places a 1 full bath home is common, others the 1/2 bath would be a necessity, but the realtor can tell you if it will pay you to put in the half bath. However if you want to remodel the current bath, and add the half bath at the same time, and add the half bath by tiling both floors at the same time, then hire your own installer, using neutral porcelain 12 x 12 tiles, and check into a motel for a day. They can tile both baths, let it set, and on day two grout the tile, put in the toilets, and you'll be back to a functioning bathroom. Then you just have the plumbers install the sinks, and you can install wall hung mirrors (about $90 each for nice, plain oval ones). Installing a new light, and with the new faucets on the sink you'll have brand new baths for a great price. A few days before you tile, just have the plumber and electrician add the pipes, waste pipe, vent stack, and electrical light rough in. Then paint both rooms, and paint behind the sink, and toilets after the tile goes down-you just have to do it really late the first night or very early the second day-so the plumber won't get painted.

You can save a bundle buying floor models of sink/vanity combinations, and the faucets and light fixtures can be purchased on sale or clearance. The big expenses will be running the pipes, electrical, and vent pipes. I would get a professional to do the tile, if you do both baths at one time. If you install the half bath first, then you can use that while you rehab the full bath. If you use vinyl sheet flooring, then Congoleum makes some really stiff, stone look vinyl, and it's really nice. It's much higher quality than the regular vinyl, and lasts very well. It really depends on what buyers in your price range expect, and your realtor can tell you about that too.

I would suggest you look at the realtor.com listings for 3 bedrooms in your zip code, and see how many 1 bath houses are for sale in your neighborhood. If the prices seem low, look at the number of 1.5 bath ones are in your expected price point.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White