The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Boobs are all good!!!!

So, because I am adopted, my PCP decided to begin mammograms for me when I was 35. I am now 39, and have had tons of mammograms due to fibrous and cystic boobs. I'm talking at least every six months since the very first one and sometimes more, with ultrasound for fun!

I had my most recent one a couple of Fridays ago, and after having FOUR call-backs to re-do the smashing of the girls, they did an ultrasound and discovered its NOT cancer but rather tiny little cysts!

I cannot tell you how weird it felt, laying there, thinking "I wonder what chemo will feel like?" and "how long will it take for my hair to grow out?". I wasn't afraid, just trying to wrap my mind around what I thought was inevitable - and then - in an instant, my life is not altered, and I don't have to receive chemo or lose my hair. I was so grateful, but then I felt sad. So many of us were waiting for news that day. So many of us were there for our precious boobs - statistically, 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed, and there were more than 8 of us in the little curtained cubicles that day.

I write this out of relief for me and as hope that all of you who have been told to get mammograms will do-so. For those who have been diagnosed with breast cancer, please know you are not alone and I am praying for you.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

8 members found this post helpful.

Good news! Now relax and enjoy life. And we hope your husband is doing well also.

1 members found this post helpful.

This deserves an expose'. Anyone interested should go to breastcanceraction.org and find out how much of the stuff these imaging technologies "diagnose" in younger women is NOT invasive cancer at all. At least half of what pumps up their "cure" rate is NOT "cancer," but very tiny calcium deposits that occur as a variant of normal in close to half of all women in their 30's and 40's.

"Fibrocystic" breasts are not "diseased." It's a "finding," not a problem, and can be mitigated monumentally by certain dietary changes.

A shame the "health" profession keeps this information carefully out of reach, replaced by scary propaganda.

3 members found this post helpful.

Huge congrats! What a relief it must be.

I'm headed in for a genetic counseling appt. in about a month, as both my mother and aunt have both had breast cancer. I'm not terribly attached to mine, so if they should come off, off they'll go! I saw a great shirt that said "Yes they are fake. The real ones were trying to kill me!"

It's very brave of you to write this, and I hope it urges those maybe afraid to get a mammogram or further testing to go forth and conquer!

Again, congrats and
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

2 members found this post helpful.

Good news is always welcomed here on OTD. Glad to hear you are OK.

I had my first mammo earlier this year. And I got one call back also for a small cyst.
    I liked how this radiology place did the follow-up. First they were digital mammograms. The first one mammogram got read later by a radiologist and hence the call back.
    When I came back for the second mammogram and the ultrasound they scheduled it when the radiologist was on site.
    I got a second mammogram and the radiologist read that while I got the ultrasound. She then came in and looked at the ultrasound pictures done by the tech and ultrasounded the area in question herself.
    It was nice to actually talk to the doctor and not have another call back or two after that. They want to see me in 6 months just because I did not have a baseline but if nothing has changed then I will go to a once a year schedule.
    Glad everything is good for OP.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    I had my first mammo earlier this year. And I got one call back also for a small cyst.
    I liked how this radiology place did the follow-up. First they were digital mammograms. The first one mammogram got read later by a radiologist and hence the call back.
    When I came back for the second mammogram and the ultrasound they scheduled it when the radiologist was on site.
    I got a second mammogram and the radiologist read that while I got the ultrasound. She then came in and looked at the ultrasound pictures done by the tech and ultrasounded the area in question herself.
    It was nice to actually talk to the doctor and not have another call back or two after that. They want to see me in 6 months just because I did not have a baseline but if nothing has changed then I will go to a once a year schedule.
    Glad everything is good for OP.
    That's an awful lot of medical procedures for a healthy person.

“If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
    ? Rumi

I'm very glad you are healthy.
    “If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
    ? Rumi

I would be very concerned about all the radiation and compression of so many mammograms. Studies have shown that repeated exposure to mammograms over many years actually causes breast cancer. There are much better diagnostic equipment available that is not harmful the way mammograms are, especially the new 3D ones (2-3x the radiation). The misdiagnosis of mammograms is appalling! But hey mammograms are great money makers! Everyone should do their own research first.

Quote Originally Posted by WildandWickedWarmbloods View Post
    Good news! Now relax and enjoy life. And we hope your husband is doing well also.
    He is! Thank you for asking! He no longer has to have the PETs, CTs or MRIs, but he gets bloodwork done pretty regularly at the hospital.
    W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    This deserves an expose'. Anyone interested should go to breastcanceraction.org and find out how much of the stuff these imaging technologies "diagnose" in younger women is NOT invasive cancer at all. At least half of what pumps up their "cure" rate is NOT "cancer," but very tiny calcium deposits that occur as a variant of normal in close to half of all women in their 30's and 40's.

"Fibrocystic" breasts are not "diseased." It's a "finding," not a problem, and can be mitigated monumentally by certain dietary changes.

A shame the "health" profession keeps this information carefully out of reach, replaced by scary propaganda.
    My PCP and GYN were on opposing sides of this issue. I truly understood where each were coming from. However, due to my lack of familial medical history, I chose to follow my PCP's advice. Sometimes I am glad, and other times I wish I hadn't.
    W. C. Fields

That is scary! I can say that without a doubt, IF I had been diagnosed with a suspicious finding, I would have sought out at least one other "second opinion", if not more. My experience with Hopkins medicine in general is that they are quite conservative regrading diagnosing issues. I did not like hang my girls squished, and perhaps the radiation was dangerous, but I suppose it's better than not knowing if something bad was growing. It really sucks being faced with choices like this.
    W. C. Fields

I had my first mammo this year. The first one came back with suspicious findings and I had to get another. After that, I had ultrasound to confirm the presence of "something". I then had biopsies at two sites, all to confirm that I had fibrocystic masses. I then had another mammo to confirm that they biopsied the right spots. I disagree with Lady E, and I suggest you look at the other thread on this OTD about a young woman diagnosed with breast cancer at an early age. All tests have risks and it's up to the patient to determine the risks they want to be exposed to. The scientific evidence is pretty solid, though, that the earlier breast cancer is diagnosed, the greater the odds of full recovery. Non-cancerous cysts or calcium deposits do not figure into the "cure rate", Lady E. Confirmed cancer and remission of that cancer figures into the "cure rate". I had a friend who died of breast cancer at 32, and she was an extremely active and healthy person. Too young, way too young.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

I am so glad to hear that you received good news. The older I get the more I look around and wonder how long it will be until someone dear to me will have to ask themselves those same questions.

Glad you got good news. I was one of the 8 women that did not get good news many years ago. Mind you, a mammogram did not find the lump. I did and then had the mammogram.. and the u/s... and the fine needle biopsy... actually, in Oct. 98... result: nothing to worry about... Same story in May 99... but then there was something to worry about.
    Last June... again... the pain in my breast made me suspicious... mammo... u/s... biopsy...inconclusive... removal... bingo..
    I am glad I went through all the medical tests and did not stop at the first mammo. I am glad my GP was thorough and kept asking for more tests until we had a dx...
    I have had a mammogram every year now since 99 and now, I get to have an u/s every year too. And I am thankful for all these tests.
    OP, you are lucky. Enjoy... but do keep up with the annual check ups.

Congrats! Dont worry bout the radiation, cause in that case id be radioactive by now!
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

So happy for you, Eye in the Sky--must be such a relief. It's amazing how your life literally does flash before your eyes when you're fearing the worst. Just beginning my journey and terrified so reading this gives me hope. Doesn't it make you wonder what we're eating or drinking or exposed to that's giving so many of us thyroid issues and BC? I'm a vegetarian, don't smoke or drink and exercise every day so go figure. Good health wishes to everyone here

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    That's an awful lot of medical procedures for a healthy person.
    As someone who has had no testing, checkups, etc for years and years, I gotta say I agree. I know a few folks who gave up on testing after some bad experiences that yielded nothing. When one friend realized she was in for a D+C evertime she had a funky pap smear, she quit on that.

I think some people like the attention they get from doctors, tests, etc. Others just need reassurance regularly that they are not dying.

I see this A LOT with the horses also. Whether or not a horse 'needs' a vet has more to do with who their owner is, than if they are actually sick or injured. The vet (chiro, acupuncturist, saddle fitter, psychic, voodoo doc, etc) get their business based on what the owner needs, not the horse.

My biggest health risk is riding horses 6 days/week and riding a motorcycle to work 5 days/week. Neither cause of death is preventable with medical testing. (Presuming you discount psychiatric tesing, of course....)

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post
    So, because I am adopted, my PCP decided to begin mammograms for me when I was 35. I am now 39, and have had tons of mammograms due to fibrous and cystic boobs. I'm talking at least every six months since the very first one and sometimes more, with ultrasound for fun!

I had my most recent one a couple of Fridays ago, and after having FOUR call-backs to re-do the smashing of the girls, they did an ultrasound and discovered its NOT cancer but rather tiny little cysts!

I cannot tell you how weird it felt, laying there, thinking "I wonder what chemo will feel like?" and "how long will it take for my hair to grow out?". I wasn't afraid, just trying to wrap my mind around what I thought was inevitable - and then - in an instant, my life is not altered, and I don't have to receive chemo or lose my hair. I was so grateful, but then I felt sad. So many of us were waiting for news that day. So many of us were there for our precious boobs - statistically, 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed, and there were more than 8 of us in the little curtained cubicles that day.

I write this out of relief for me and as hope that all of you who have been told to get mammograms will do-so. For those who have been diagnosed with breast cancer, please know you are not alone and I am praying for you.
    I'm glad this made you happy, but it sounds like you are very much a victim of something called Type II Malpractice--having something done very, very well, even to the point of overkill, that never needed to be done AT ALL since you never had anything wrong with you to begin with.

I realize this is a buzzkill to those who believe in the talismanic value of m-grams, but in terms of outcome-based medicine what was done to you is astonishing!

Who knew "being adopted" was a killer risk factor???? WOW.