The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Males left significantly sooner when intruded upon by a higher rather than lower status car
    LOL. Now I feel like renting some kind of high-status car for a day, and trolling parking lots to chase away all the low-status men
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

1 members found this post helpful.

One day at work I parked diagonally across two spots where not many people parked. I had one of those glass companies that replace the windshields in your parking lot coming out to fix the side back window on my Jeep Gr. Wagoneer. Darned if somebody didn't park parallel to me on that side just to make a point. So of course I had to go find them to move it. She had a cute little Miata, the only one in a company of 150 people.

She knew what I drove and knew I didn't normally park that way so really the black plastic over the window wasn't an additional clue that maybe there was a reason I was parked that way for a change?

I hauled a horse a few years ago and ran into Arby's for a pee break and lunch. Darned it when I came out somebody had parked directly in the slot in front of my truck. I was way away from the door and there were at least 10 slots closer. It was 3 pm for crying out loud. I think they parked there on purpose.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I park in what I like to call the "new car lot" at work. It's the farthest lot from the building so the only ones who park there are either ones with new cars or ones who (like me when I first started parking there) want the extra forced exercise every day.

Those of us in the "new car lot" seem to have become extra-territorial! For us (and we all park between the lines, by the way), our own parking space isn't enough. We also expect to command the spaces next to us on both sides of our cars!

It's become an unspoken agreement among us, so you see this nicely sized though not huge parking lot with cars scattered here and there.

I had to laugh at myself one afternoon. I came out to find that someone (a white Volvo no less!) had parked RIGHT NEXT TO ME!

Of course there was plenty of room - no risk of dinged doors or anything of the sort. But I was actually really annoyed! How dare they when there was a perfectly good spot (translate to mean three empty spots in a row so they could've had the middle one easily) just one space down.

Fortunately, after a week or two of this egregiously bad behavior, the Volvo's driver seems to have been assimilated by our hive mind and now parks like everyone else, aka not next to another car. All is good in our universe again.
    Only one cat - must not be totally crazy yet!

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFv_PAVQqVo

Karma.

I laughed so hard I was crying by the end of this. It is SO satisfying.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

I'm also annoyed by people with a passel of small children who take their sweet time strapping them in, all doors wide open, while someone else is waiting to pull into/out of the spot next to them or to get in/out of their car in said spot. I understand loading children takes time, but it would be considerate to load one, step to the side and close the door so someone can exit their vehicle or pull out, and then load the next one. It's especially annoying when the child is in the car seat and the parent then stands there looking for their toys or handing them a snack. Get in your car and then hand them the toy!

Obviously having to load kids takes time, but please do it as quickly as possible!

Quote Originally Posted by HenryisBlaisin' View Post
    I'm also annoyed by people with a passel of small children who take their sweet time strapping them in, all doors wide open, while someone else is waiting to pull into/out of the spot next to them or to get in/out of their car in said spot. I understand loading children takes time, but it would be considerate to load one, step to the side and close the door so someone can exit their vehicle or pull out, and then load the next one. It's especially annoying when the child is in the car seat and the parent then stands there looking for their toys or handing them a snack. Get in your car and then hand them the toy!

Obviously having to load kids takes time, but please do it as quickly as possible!
    I really try to be considerate of this, usually I park away from other cars both because of my kids and because I am a magnet for door dings, no matter how well I park, so I trust no one.

BUT. In the summer, if you have more than one young kid requiring a 5 point harness... it is nearly impossible to not have one door open. Young kids cannot be in parking lots safely without watching them like a hawk. I let my oldest slide through to the other side to get in her seat while I strap the youngest in. In hot months I then walk around to oldest's side, open that door, then open driver's door to start engine and AC. Then I'm back to oldest to strap her in.

I don't give snacks until I'm in the car though