The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Parking spinoff: Entitled parkers

Just because you have a new pickup truck/ferrari etc., doesn't mean that you are entitled to park diagonally across four spaces to protect your investment from door dings.

5 members found this post helpful.

Just because you have children in car seats doesn't mean that you are entitled to repeatedly butt-slam your car door into the neighbouring car while removing or installing said children into said seats.

And just because you actually own the parking lot doesn't mean that you should paint the lines so close together to cram more cars in, that there's barely 6 inches between cars. And no hope for a spot for a pickup truck!

Parking lot etiquette, is what I call it (or lack thereof).

I just got into my car, started it and put it into reverse, but then you decide to swing open all of the doors on your sedan to load yourself and children. The doors are practically touching my car so I cannot back out without hitting you or your car. You really couldn't have waited 5 seconds? Instead you take your sweet ass time. If I see someone about to back out, I wait, or get into my vehicle quickly. If I have stuff to load, I'll just wait behind or next to my car on the other side. It's a small thing that perhaps shouldn't bother me, but it's one of those "unwritten rules" IMO.

I did see someone park their vehicle in such a manner that it took up 4 spaces or so. Then another person parked their car correctly in a parking spot that happened to make the 4 space parker virtually blocked in. But really, you parked like a tool, and they parked properly. What are you gonna do? Say I parked incorrectly and they parked correctly, how dare they?

For the most part, I park toward the back in space. I don't mind the extra walk and certainly would never park in a handicapped spot/reserved for families with children spot.

Quote Originally Posted by draftdriver View Post
    And just because you actually own the parking lot doesn't mean that you should paint the lines so close together to cram more cars in, that there's barely 6 inches between cars. And no hope for a spot for a pickup truck!
    You must be speaking of Lowes and Home Depot... Home improvement stores where a compact barely fits in the space. I take up 4 space with my truck because I don't fit in less.

1 members found this post helpful.

People are jerks, what can I say. From a study on parking/territorial behavior:

Three studies showed that drivers leaving a public parking space are territorial even when such behavior is contrary to their goal of leaving. In Study 1 (observations of 200 departing cars), intruded-upon drivers took longer to leave than nonintruded-upon drivers. In Study 2, an experiment involving 240 drivers in which level of intrusion and status of intruder were manipulated, drivers took longer to leave when another car was present and when the intruder honked. Males left significantly sooner when intruded upon by a higher rather than lower status car, whereas females' departure times did not differ as a function of the status of the car.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...-for-it/71439/

I remember when my daughter was back in high school, we were shopping for shoes for her Junior Prom. We were sitting in the car, in the mall parking lot, looking through the phone book (pre smart phones) to find some more local shoe stores. A woman decided that she had to have our parking space...started blowing her horn and yelling.

I took a good look at her car and saw the school bumper sticker...same school my daughter attended, one with only 600 students from PreK through 12. I nicely rolled down the window, said that I was going to be a while and that I would see her in the car pool line. She was suitably embarrassed.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

4 members found this post helpful.

I always wanted to do this to someone I saw parked across multiple spots. I should start carrying sidewalk chalk with me...

http://www.kulfoto.com/funny-picture...t-just-for-you
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

Quote Originally Posted by draftdriver View Post
    Just because you have a new pickup truck/ferrari etc., doesn't mean that you are entitled to park diagonally across four spaces to protect your investment from door dings.
    I see you are Canadian, so you probably don't have the requisite "revenge software" pre-installed. Down here that sort of thing is tantamount to putting up a sign asking others to please add racing stripes to their car with their keys.

2 members found this post helpful.

Might I suggest these notepads for such parking incidents?

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/station...09_28904147529

Bonus: you can use the back of the note to write what you REALLY want to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Where'sMyWhite View Post
    You must be speaking of Lowes and Home Depot... Home improvement stores where a compact barely fits in the space. I take up 4 space with my truck because I don't fit in less.
    Oh, don't get me started at Lowes and Home Depot. Nothing irks me more than capable mean (or women, but usually men) parking in the loading zone under the canopy, walking into the store and SHOPPING!!! What is up with that? I've watched, they let their vehicles sit there for 20 minutes or more, and folks who need to load cannot because there are four vehicles in the loading zone with NO people in them! Man, I hate that. We asked an employee about this and he just shook his head and said the manager is reluctant to say anything for fear of losing the contractor business. Please.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

There's a perfectly good, empty parking lot right over there; why do you think it's ok to just block the road with your car while you go into the dry cleaner's place?

When I had my recently sold Excursion I often took up more than one space. However I did it to make sure I could get in and out of the truck without bumping into something and I always parked FAR out in the boonies where there were plenty of spots. I had no problem taking up more than one spot when there were another hundred to choose from.

Recently however I parked my KIA Sorento at the Richmond airport. Parked neatly, even on both sides, parallel to the lines.

Some a$$$$0 in a new Mercedes parked next to me so crookedly that I could not squeeze into the driver's side door. I had to get in on the other side and climb over the console. At 5'4" I had trouble. Six foot tall Mr P couldn't have done it.

If I had a lipstick the driver would have found a nasty note on his windshield
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I recently stayed at a Days Inn in AZ. Coming back to the motel after a long stressful day at an event, there was a corvette taking up 3 spots, and a flat bed tow truck that took up about 8 parking spots. I had a room near the front, and both of these a-holes were in front. Since I was in such a good mood already I went to the front desk and proceeded to go off on the clerk. Poor girl. I'm sure the vette belonged to an employee 'cause it was moved after I got back from dinner. I parked my big ass dually right next to it. I was tempted to park so close that I would have had to crawl out the passenger side, but I didn't.

Can you believe that I was actually able to park my truck in one space, in between the lines
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by starhorse View Post
    Might I suggest these notepads for such parking incidents?

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/station...09_28904147529

Bonus: you can use the back of the note to write what you REALLY want to say.

Love it!

There's a picture floating around with a passive aggressive note saying "The way you pulled in makes me wish your dad had pulled out". Makes me giggle every time
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

6 members found this post helpful.

Here, one store has spots for large vehicles like large vans and farmers' trucks.....inevitably there will be a moron or 10 with smart cars and other sub compacts using those stalls because they are closer to the door. People with small retail outlets in small towns come in with full sized vans and cram them full with stock from said store and they really don't like pushing the big wagon all the way to the end of the lot and neither do farmers who, particularly at this time of year get two large carts full of groceries to get them through harvest. But nope, the idiots with bitty cars MUST take the marked spots despite the signs
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

People can't park or drive through parking lots.

At the grocery store I park way in the back of the lot on purpose. Usually there are all empty spots around my truck, I park back there because I have a full size pickup with extended cab and long bed. It fits between the lines of a parking stall, but not the length. Too much truck bed sticks out into the lane. So I park in no-man's land so I can take up a front and back spot without bothering other people.

In 8 years my truck has been hit 3 freaking times in that parking lot. Because people don't want to drive up and down the lanes but fly across them. And misjudge going around my truck. I gave up having the dents repaired, they stopped hitting it. For now.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I had to park my truck and two-horse at a hotel I was staying in (I wasn't at my final destination yet, so I had no choice). I parked in the far corner of the lot with the truck's nose facing some curbing (left a little gap for myself) with the entire rig perpendicular to the striped lines. It was the best I could do, honest! Some ding-dong just had to park right behind the back of the trailer to make some kind of point (what, that I should have parked the trailer in my hotel room??). But, the look on his face as I creeped and creeped my rig backwards to within centimeters of his vehicle's side so I could swing out more conveniently was worth it .
    "And now . . .off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums."

I live in an apartment complex with pretty tight parking. I have an F-250 in addition to my daily vehicle (Toyota Venza crossover). I HATE when people try to park their big trucks right next to the building. I'm considerate and park my truck pretty far away where there is more room. My BF ended up with a huge dent in his door from some asshat trying to squeeze a chevy 2500 into a tiny spot. Grrrr
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by ThoroughbredFancy View Post
    I did see someone park their vehicle in such a manner that it took up 4 spaces or so. Then another person parked their car correctly in a parking spot that happened to make the 4 space parker virtually blocked in. But really, you parked like a tool, and they parked properly. What are you gonna do? Say I parked incorrectly and they parked correctly, how dare they?
    I so do stuff like this if the idiot driver isn't parked in the back forty. I drive junk. Go ahead, dent my door- I probably wouldn't even notice!

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    I so do stuff like this if the idiot driver isn't parked in the back forty. I drive junk. Go ahead, dent my door- I probably wouldn't even notice!
    Yep, if I'm in the farm truck, I seriously don't care. It has stood up to the TC44H, do you really think your 'yota or Honda is going to do much?

I HATE HATE HATE when people park crooked after I am in a spot. Can I tell you how much fun it is to try and get an infant carrier over the forward facing car seat because I can't get my passenger door open?
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"