The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I don't have anything to add, that hasn't already been said, except .....Coreene, nice to see you back Hope you're doing well!

My now DH had knee replacement last summer, and is doing great.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

2 members found this post helpful.

On the flip side if you own a business of strip mall with businesses, can you please get proper sign-age or maintain the paint on the parking lot to designate those handicapped spots?
    I parked, 2 decades ago, at the PO in the small town I lived in for a short while. As I am standing in line an irate redneck comes in spewing how the car with NY plates is in the handicapped spot.... don't they have laws against that in NY?
    :eyeroll:
    It was a very uncomfortable situation, since that's not something I would do [take a handicapped spot!], and being the outsider and having EVERY pair of eyes glaring at me... while it was pretty clear that the markings indicating it was a handicapped spot had worn off the parking lot.

Good Lord the assumption that it was intentional, and the speed at which these people pulled out their pitchforks and flaming torches! Impressive!
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

1 members found this post helpful.

Coreene is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    I don't have anything to add, that hasn't already been said, except .....Coreene, nice to see you back Hope you're doing well!

My now DH had knee replacement last summer, and is doing great.
    Good news, he must be so relieved!

I'm doing pretty well, no complaints. Sometimes I can barely walk, most of the time it's okay, and I have no complaints. Just grateful for what I have
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    There are stickers and there are stickers. My state had handicapped license plates and hang tags, permanent & temporary. So get a permanent hang tag, not a plate with the wheelchair dude. Use it on your bad days, leave it in the glovebox on the good days. Don't expect the rest of us to magically know that there is reason you feel special enough to break the law.
    Truly.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

5 members found this post helpful.

You are so right, Coreene! I've had friends who were handicapped, spinal myeilia, I did not spell that correctly, brain tumor, etc., and they all did not want to use handicapped stickers when we would leave work and go out to lunch. I'd have to drop them off at the mall, and then park. Otherwise they would walk the distance from the parking lot, rather than park in handicapped spaces. Finally when one guy, the one with spinal "m" had to go to a wheelchair, he would let me park in handicapped spots.

I understand that sometimes we cannot "see" a handicap. When one friend was dying of a cancerous brain tumor and wore a cap to hide the orange markings for radiation and his hair loss, people would tell him to take off his cap in restaurants. He did and they would gasp. So I don't jump people who park in handicapped spots. But they should have a sticker if they are really handicapped. My mother is old, but she still parks down in lots and walks to the grocery store and other stores, because she doesn't want a pass for being old and slow but still healthy.

Sic em girl! I think the handicapped should be able to give out tickets for illegal parking or be able to apply corporal punishment to violators.

If you have a plaque, regardless of how healthy you look, I won't say word one. If you don't have one and park in the handicapped spot, hellz yeah I'm going to take you to task.

If you truly need a sticker/plaque/license plate, then get one. Don't keep breaking the law just because you feel entitled and think people should be mind readers.
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

6 members found this post helpful.

I have been offered a handicap parking permit three times in my life by doctors, and used it only once.

I never used it for my back injury because I was so tired of being bed-bound, that when I did get to go to my doctor appointments, I just wanted to walk.

I never used it for my migraines/vertigo because I simply do not drive when those occur.

I DID use it for a very rare disorder during my one and only pregnancy. I walked like a penguin, and if my legs were separated just inches apart, I would trip and be in danger of falling. I didn't need the permit long because I was bed-bound shortly after tripping on the sidewalk to my office.

I would never EVER think to park in a handicapped space regardless of my need for a space. It infuriates me when I see people do that sans permit (hanger or license). Heck, unless my son is with me, I won't even use the "family parking" at IKEA!
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Speaking of parking............

http://www.957kjr.com/pages/luciana.html

I'm astounded at the number of people who think it is their place to judge whether or not someone with a handicapped tag is "legitimately" handicapped enough to use a handicapped space. Really? Fortunately for you, someone ELSE is in charge of that decision, and you need not take it upon yourself to police those who do have handicapped tags. Further, for the OP, who suggested that if someone with a handicapped tag "feels good" on a particular day, then they should use a regular spot - well, honestly, again...it's a bit presumptuous of you to suggest that just because someone appears "fine" or even feels "fine" on a particular day, that they don't still need to use the handicapped spot.

Frankly, there have been a number of times in my life where I probably should have gotten a temporary handicapped tag, but did not. For example, when I had lung surgery. I walked some LONG distances post surgery, including in downpours when I was not permitted to run at ALL...so just had to plod along in a downpour. Someone looking at me would have assumed I was fine post lung-surgery, but I definitely was not.

Coreene is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    I'm astounded at the number of people who think it is their place to judge whether or not someone with a handicapped tag is "legitimately" handicapped enough to use a handicapped space. Really? Fortunately for you, someone ELSE is in charge of that decision, and you need not take it upon yourself to police those who do have handicapped tags. Further, for the OP, who suggested that if someone with a handicapped tag "feels good" on a particular day, then they should use a regular spot - well, honestly, again...it's a bit presumptuous of you to suggest that just because someone appears "fine" or even feels "fine" on a particular day, that they don't still need to use the handicapped spot.

Frankly, there have been a number of times in my life where I probably should have gotten a temporary handicapped tag, but did not. For example, when I had lung surgery. I walked some LONG distances post surgery, including in downpours when I was not permitted to run at ALL...so just had to plod along in a downpour. Someone looking at me would have assumed I was fine post lung-surgery, but I definitely was not.
    Sorry, that was not what my last post meant. It was specifically addressed at people who did not get the permit but used the handicapped space on bad days. As in, get the permit for those days, no one is saying you have to use it all the time.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Further, for the OP, who suggested that if someone with a handicapped tag "feels good" on a particular day, then they should use a regular spot - well, honestly, again...it's a bit presumptuous of you to suggest that just because someone appears "fine" or even feels "fine" on a particular day, that they don't still need to use the handicapped spot.
    Coreen was responding to this post:
    Quote Originally Posted by flashwhitelock View Post
    I have to agree and disagree. I totally agree if you have a disability you need to park there and those that don't shouldn't. However, I do have to disagree on how angry some posters are about people parking without a sticker. I turned down a sticker because in my mind I wasn't permanently disabled. Too many times I've watched friends and family misuse their sticker just to get better parking. In my case, I should have taken it. Between the spinal fusion and the knee surgery there are still days that I can't walk even 25 feet. Yes, on those days I park in the handicap spot and I do not have a sticker. Will I eventually get a sticker? Maybe.

I've also had times where I've been injured that day and had to use the handicapped spot. No one who watched me go into the store questioned my need as they all asked if they could help me but I've had other times where without knowing the situation I've been hassled. I've had a store manager in NH shout and call the police to ticket me as I sat in the car waiting for my daughter to help me out of the car. Needless to say, I told the manager please do and the officer was very understanding and worried that I was even driving with my leg looking like it did. He suggested it was better for my learners permit daughter to break the law and drive illegally. The store manager still insisted the car should be moved, how dare I not have a permit.

Like those that have hidden disabilities, you need to make sure you have the facts before you make sweeping judgements.
    Because there is NO shame in having a permit and not using the space if you don't need it, but you're not above the law even if you're obviously disabled and do NOT have a permit. Just get the stupid thing and be legal.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

5 members found this post helpful.

Both of my parents are disabled, but they don't look it. My mom has RA and my dad has had 2 back surgeries. We get dirty looks on occasions of parking in handicapped places, but we ignore it. We have all the proper plates and hanging tags. I have both of their hanging tags in my car, and never use them when neither of them are with me.

We took my girls to Disneyland last year, and the first day was brutal for both of my parents, it was hard for them standing in the lines. We found out about the handicap pass, and both of them got them. We got some dirty looks for that too, because neither of them are wheelchair bound. But it made it so my parents could enjoy themselves, and not have extremely painful feet (my mom) and a seized up back (my dad).

I agree that people who just park there because they are douchelords are jerks, though. But it's also not fun to get the judge-y looks people get. No one has commented yet, but plenty of dirty looks.

I have RA, and walking feels like my shoes are lined with broken glass. I have a handicapped parking permit. I always use it at work, because even from the handicapped spaces, it's a long, long way into the building. Even if I happen to be having a better day (rare), I never know which version of my body is going to leave the office that night.

I've gotten comments from people (people who actually know me--astounding) at how "lucky" I am to park so close. Ummmm...I would gladly have to park a half mile away every single time if I could just have my old abilities back.

And no, I don't look disabled. I take pride in trying NOT to limp. Not only can it make one a target for muggers and the like, it can also set up other problems.

Rebecca

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    Sorry, that was not what my last post meant. It was specifically addressed at people who did not get the permit but used the handicapped space on bad days. As in, get the permit for those days, no one is saying you have to use it all the time.
    Ah, got it. That makes sense.

1 members found this post helpful.

I was just ranting about this the other day!

What's with people parking in the no parking zones around handicapped spots? Those are there to get wheelchair vans extra room! Just because your car fits in them does not make them a valid parking spot!

No handicap tag/license plate = no parking in handicap spots. If you have a permit, I won't comment on your need of it, but I want to smack people who use handicap spots that they don't need. If you're that lazy, why bother even leaving the house?

I've been handicapped. It sucks when you can't find a parking spot. And frankly, even when I was handicapped and had a permit, I rarely used it once I was able to walk halfway decently. Unless it was really hot or raining or I was having a bad leg day, I parked like a normal person and skipped the handicap spot.

I really wish they would patrol the Walmart parking lots and start towing people who park in handicap spots without permits, or park in the no parking zones.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

I got the stinkeye from some woman when I parked legally in a handicapped space. Some days I limp badly, some days I don't. I can't walk any kind of long distance or I am stuck in bed for days. No one has had the nerve to say anything yet, but I can see their nasty looks. I don't really give a &$/@.

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    On the flip side, I HATE when people assume that because you can walk without a limp, then you don't need a handicapped permit. Towards the end of my Mom's life she needed to park closely to buildings because she had heart and lung problems in addition to very painful skin problems exacerbated by exposure to the outside. People would make snide comments and confront her about using the handicapped spots.
    You are what you dare.

A little public peer pressure can sometimes do the trick. There's this young guy in the next building over at my apt complex. He comes home late in the evening and the available parking is down a ways. So he parks in the handi spot with no permit, outside my window, looks all around to see if anyone sees him, then saunters to his building. He did this A LOT. I hung a note on the back of his car one morning, down where he wouldn't see it backing up that said something to the effect of 'I'm a lazy arsehole who parks in handicap spots, please tow my car'. That was the last time he did that!

Another lady in my building, who also had no permit, started parking over the hash blue lines and moved to full on parking in the handi spot. I did the note thing a few times, then reported her. A few weeks ago, her car got booted This time, she hasn't done it again. I don't put up with stupid well anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    However, it is difficult to get a handicapped permit quickly when you need it. I had a friend who broke her leg in a riding accident. She was not able to get to wherever you go to get the permit, so she parked in handicapped anyway. Cast, crutches, etc. She got away with it most of the time, but got a ticket at the local Walmart. She showed up in court with cast and crutches and got it dismissed.
    I'm sorry your friend had difficulty. I broke my leg (I won't go into the gory details) on a Saturday and my dad was able to pick up a handicapped parking tag on Monday without issue - just the forms from the doctors.

Unfortunately I know of at least two people who are in possession of the tags, did need them at one time, but no longer do. Yet they continue to use the tags if it's convenient. How do I know? Because one brags about how much she's healed and how much she loves to shop and spend all day at the mall "now that I'm not in pain like I used to be." The other one routinely parks in the only handicapped space at my office (the rest of us pay to park, or else park farther away and walk), and then he bypasses the elevator and walks up 3 flights of stairs to get to his office.

I also know of at least 3 other people who regularly use their disabled relatives' tags, even though they themselves are perfectly healthy. (Despicable, but healthy.)

So unfortunately, I don't believe every "disabled tag" that I see.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

DH has a handicap hang tag from his hip problem/THR. He rarely uses it. I won't let him. Oh for Christ's sake, you're well enough to walk!

When we do use it, I tell him to 'limp' but it's usually me who has stiffened up in the car, can't straighten up and hobble into the stores. Particularly peculiar when I'm in my breeches!
    Ride like you mean it.