The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation DON'T park in a handicapped space if you don't have a permit!

Don't be one of those self-absorbed, entitled POS douchebags who make permit holders hike halfway across a huge parking lot because you think the rule doesn't apply to you.

And if you do and someone reams you a new one, please do not attempt any form of excuse. Because there isn't one. Not a single excuse that could possibly give you more of a reason to park there than the lame person with the permit. Not. A. Single. One.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

28 members found this post helpful.

I'll add to that and say, "Don't use your friend or relative's permit when you are able-bodied and they aren't with you." I broke my leg the beginning of December and parking for Christmas shopping was an eye-opener. *Every* single handicap spot taken, with permits hanging in the windshield, and lots of people easily managing their way around while I'm on crutches.

12 members found this post helpful.

Hear hear!

PS don't use your Auntie's permit either, that's not only uncool, but illegal.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

3 members found this post helpful.

Default Here's a good one for someone who thought they deserved to park there

" iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

4 members found this post helpful.

Well, I had little guilt driving the permitted car with my cousin in it. It wasn't her permit, but she needed it. Bone on bone knees, she's waiting to turn 65 for the surgery and really suffers - I had so much touristing I wanted to do with her and we ended up doing drive bys instead. I felt so badly for her, we could sit and talk but we couldn't really go anywhere. I can't recall if her car had a permit or not but both my mom's cars do. Have only permit parked by myself when doing pickups, and mostly for those I pull right up to the entrance.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

On the flip side, I HATE when people assume that because you can walk without a limp, then you don't need a handicapped permit. Towards the end of my Mom's life she needed to park closely to buildings because she had heart and lung problems in addition to very painful skin problems exacerbated by exposure to the outside. People would make snide comments and confront her about using the handicapped spots.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

37 members found this post helpful.

Thank you for this thread! I am disabled and it seems in the last few years, the number of entitled young people has increased by leaps and bounds. Last week, one you lady tried to turn it around and blame me for being the handicap police She refused to take responsibility for her crappy behavior while her young daughter looked on. Way to be a role model...
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    On the flip side, I HATE when people assume that because you can walk without a limp, then you don't need a handicapped permit. Towards the end of my Mom's life she needed to park closely to buildings because she had heart and lung problems in addition to very painful skin problems exacerbated by exposure to the outside. People would make snide comments and confront her about using the handicapped spots.
    I was just about to say this.

Just because someone "looks fine" or seems to "walk fine" doesn't mean they don't need the permit.

I turned down the permit I should have had my senior year of college after a horse fall. I damaged my sacroiliac joint and would walk fine for awhile... And then that leg would go numb and start to buckle and I'd drag it to my car. I refused because I'd been confronted in the past for using one while driving my grandmother places and hated confrontation.

According to the jerks who yelled at me, I should drop disabled (and moderately demented grandma) off in front of the store alone, park in the back, and hike up to grandma (hoping she was still there!) so as to leave the handicap spot for someone who needed it and who was driving alone.

Looking at a person doesn't reveal all health issues.

12 members found this post helpful.

Amen. My dad was a quadriplegic and NEEDED those spots! Also, allow me to remind you that that the barred-out areas next to the handicapped spaces are NOT parking spots either; they're for vans, so that people in wheelchairs (like my dad) have the extra room they need to get out of the vehicle!
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tikihorse2 View Post
    Amen. My dad was a quadriplegic and NEEDED those spots! Also, allow me to remind you that that the barred-out areas next to the handicapped spaces are NOT parking spots either; they're for vans, so that people in wheelchairs (like my dad) have the extra room they need to get out of the vehicle!
    THANK YOU for pointing that out.
    I cannot tell you how many times I walk past those, thinking 'yeah, didn't know mentally handicapped people were allowed to drive' especially when they have to squeeze a really long vehicle in the spot, effectively blocking half the thorough fair....
    A friend of mine has to have that room for her husband to get in and out of the van. Even parking in the very back of the parking lot she got blocked in....people...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

When I had my broken hip and was awaiting replacement surgery (the femoral neck was snapped in two - we aren't talking hairline fracture), I had a temporary permit to use while I was on crutches. (ETA - yes, it was the left hip that was broken. I would sink into the seat, lift the bad leg into the car with both hands, and then was all set to drive).

I was good with crutches and generally figured a bit of extra exercise wouldn't do me any harm, so I didn't always use the permit. But if the weather was bad, I did.

It was December, and I had a hair appointment at a salon at the mall. We'd had a rare bout of snow and ice and roads were still bad; parking lots were somewhat worse since they weren't "public rights-of-way". I thought the permit would be useful to minimize the risk of slipping, as ice and crutches are not an ideal combo.

EVERY handicapped space was taken, most by inconsiderate a$$hole holiday shoppers who did NOT have the tags or appropriate permits. I ended up parked a considerable distance away. I vented my anger on the doors of someone's un-permitted BMW SUV with one of my crutches; I'm not proud of that but I've never felt guilty about it either.
    Last edited by Mara; Sep. 1, 2013 at 11:40 PM.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post

I use my college's super cool gym 3 to 4 days a week. Cycling is a low impact method that release endorphins which help to control my pain. Sure beats drugs. Anyway, I parked in the handicapped spot and a faculty member stopped and said snidely," You really need that spot, don't you?" It took me almost 2 years to be able to walk upright after my accident and I have good days, and I have bad days. Well, I got pissed off and followed her to where she parked. First, she refused to get out of her car and then she wouldn't tell me who she was until I copied down the faculty parking tag on her window. Come to find out, she was a Phd. in the family & consumer dept. Long story short, I wrote a letter to the president of the university who forwarded it to the chair of this woman's dept. I see her occasionally and she never looks my way.
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon

10 members found this post helpful.

However, it is difficult to get a handicapped permit quickly when you need it. I had a friend who broke her leg in a riding accident. She was not able to get to wherever you go to get the permit, so she parked in handicapped anyway. Cast, crutches, etc. She got away with it most of the time, but got a ticket at the local Walmart. She showed up in court with cast and crutches and got it dismissed.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

1 members found this post helpful.

Coreene is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

PSA: you can designate someone to collect it on your behalf, and AAA has them if you can't make it to the DMV. You can get them in both places on the same day if you have the form.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    However, it is difficult to get a handicapped permit quickly when you need it. I had a friend who broke her leg in a riding accident. She was not able to get to wherever you go to get the permit, so she parked in handicapped anyway. Cast, crutches, etc. She got away with it most of the time, but got a ticket at the local Walmart. She showed up in court with cast and crutches and got it dismissed.
    I had someone confront me last spring about a similar situation. My husband had been in ICU then the cardiac step down floor after having a heart attack as they were putting in a defibrillator. He is also Type I diabetic and they released us right before he needed to eat.

I did park in the handicap so I could help him inside a sub shop to eat. The parking lot was packed and he really did not have the energy to walk further.

A man came up and started to ream me one and I responded politely and walked away.

He did come over as we finished eating and apologized. I guess he really could see that we needed that spot that day.

We now have a permit and sometimes use it, other times not. Depends on how he feels that day. Most days you could not look at him and tell if it was valid or not but he does need it.

I hate nasty glares i get, i have a permit, uncontrolled RA, yes 95% i have a limp but sometimes i feel ok, its hard to walk long distances

But being 23 and looking younger people think i dont need it because my disability isnt always visable. Get least issues at school cause i walk with a cane there. Honestly thinking of bringing it when i shop or drs appt!!

Bonus found a butterfly cane !!
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

3 members found this post helpful.

Wanted to add you must not have harsh enough fines, here its not a big issue since its minimum $500 and up and possible demerits and licence suspensions plus court

Its not hard to take a plate number down then call police or bylaw(city)
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

Quote Originally Posted by tikihorse2 View Post
    I was going to add this. My nephew is handicapped. I was shocked at how many times my sister has had to back the van out of the space to get my nephew in the van. So many people will park over the line or even too close so she has to back out before she can get him in. You are a jerk if you do this!!!

I really hate misuse of handicapped stickers. Just the other day I watch a big pick-up truck properly tagged pull into a handicapped space. A teenager hops out of the truck and jogs into the store to pick some things up. Meanwhile, the proper recipient of the handicap sticker I presume, sits in the idling truck waiting.

I wouldn't call that the proper use of a handicap sticker. Actions like that are why people will give someone who appears able bodied the hairy eyeball from time to time.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

11 members found this post helpful.

Default handicapped but without sticker

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    Don't be one of those self-absorbed, entitled POS douchebags who make permit holders hike halfway across a huge parking lot because you think the rule doesn't apply to you.

And if you do and someone reams you a new one, please do not attempt any form of excuse. Because there isn't one. Not a single excuse that could possibly give you more of a reason to park there than the lame person with the permit. Not. A. Single. One.
    I have to agree and disagree. I totally agree if you have a disability you need to park there and those that don't shouldn't. However, I do have to disagree on how angry some posters are about people parking without a sticker. I turned down a sticker because in my mind I wasn't permanently disabled. Too many times I've watched friends and family misuse their sticker just to get better parking. In my case, I should have taken it. Between the spinal fusion and the knee surgery there are still days that I can't walk even 25 feet. Yes, on those days I park in the handicap spot and I do not have a sticker. Will I eventually get a sticker? Maybe.

I've also had times where I've been injured that day and had to use the handicapped spot. No one who watched me go into the store questioned my need as they all asked if they could help me but I've had other times where without knowing the situation I've been hassled. I've had a store manager in NH shout and call the police to ticket me as I sat in the car waiting for my daughter to help me out of the car. Needless to say, I told the manager please do and the officer was very understanding and worried that I was even driving with my leg looking like it did. He suggested it was better for my learners permit daughter to break the law and drive illegally. The store manager still insisted the car should be moved, how dare I not have a permit.

Like those that have hidden disabilities, you need to make sure you have the facts before you make sweeping judgements.