The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spinoff -- The Difference in College Football in the North and the South

Just saw this online and would love to know, from some actual football fans, how accurate this is!

The Difference In Football
    Between the North and South

WOMEN'S ATTIRE
    Up North: Chapstick in their back pocket and a $20 bill in their front pocket.
    Down South: Louis Vuitton duffel with two lipsticks, powder, mascara (waterproof), concealer, and a fifth of bourbon. Wallet not necessary, that's what dates are for.

STADIUM SIZE
    Up North: College football stadiums hold 20,000.
    Down South: High School football stadiums hold 20,000.

FATHERS
    Up North: Expect their daughter to understand Sylvia Plath.
    Down South: Expect their daughters to understand pass interference.

ATTIRE
    Up North: Male and female alike: woolly sweater or sweatshirt and jeans.
    Down South: Male - press khakis, oxford shirt, cap with frat logo, Justin Ropers. Female - ankle-length skirt, coordinated cardigan, flat riding boots, oxford shirt.

ALUMNI
    Up North: Take prospects on sailing trips before they join the law firm.
    Down South: Take prospects on fishing trip so they don't leave for the NFL their senior year.

CAMPUS DECOR
    Up North: Statues of founding fathers.
    Down South: Statues of Heisman Trophy winners.

HOMECOMING QUEEN
    Up North: Also a Physics Major
    Down South: Also Miss USA.

HEROES
    Up North: Mario Cuomo
    Down South: "Bear" Bryant

GETTING TICKETS
    Up North: 5 minutes before the game you walk into the ticket office on campus and still purchase tickets.
    Down South: 5 months before the game you walk into the ticket office on campus and still be placed on the waiting list for tickets.

FRIDAY CLASSES AFTER A THURSDAY NIGHT GAME
    Up North: Students and Teachers are not sure if they are going because they have class on Friday.
    Down south: Teachers cancel class on Friday because they don't want to see the few hungover students that might actually make it to class on Friday.

PARKING
    Up North: An hour before game time the University opens the campus for game parking.
    Down South: RV's sporting their school flags begin arriving on Wednesday for the weekend festivities. The real faithful begin arriving on Tuesday.

GAME DAY
    Up North: A few students party in the dorm and watch ESPN on TV.
    Down South: Every student wakes up, has a beer for breakfast, and rushes over to where ESPN is broadcasting on Game Day "live" to get on camera and wave to the idiots up North who wonder why game day is never broadcast from their campus.

TAILGATING
    Up North: Raw meat on a grill, beer with lime in it, listening to local radio station with truck tailgate down.
    Down South: 30-foot custom pig-shaped smoker fires up at dawn. Cooking accompanied by live performance by Jerry Jeff Walker, who comes over during breaks and ask for a hit off your bottle of bourbon.

GETTING TO THE STADIUM
    Up North: You ask "Where's the stadium?" When you find it, you walk right in with no line.
    Down South: When your near it, you'll hear it. On game day, it becomes the state's third largest city.

CONCESSIONS
    Up North: Drinks served in a paper cup filled to the top with soda.
    Down South: Drinks served in a plastic cup with the home team's mascot--filled less than halfway to ensure enough room for bourbon.

WHEN NATIONAL ANTHEM IS PLAYED
    Up North: Stands are less than half full.
    Down South: 100,000 fans sing along in perfect 3-part harmony.

THE SMELL IN THE AIR AFTER THE FIRST SCORE
    Up North: Nothing Changes!
    Down South: Fireworks with a twist of bourbon.

COMMENTARY (MALE)
    Up North: "Nice Play."
    Down South: "Dammit you slow sumbitch - tackle him and break his legs!!!"

COMMENTARY (FEMALE)
    Up North: "My, this is a violent sport."
    Down South: "Dammit you slow sumbitch - tackle him and break his legs!!!"

ANNOUNCERS
    Up North: Paid.
    Down South: Announcer harmonizes with the crowd in the fight song, with a tear in his eye because he is so proud of his team.

AFTER THE GAME
    Up North: The stadium is empty way before the game ends.
    Down South: Another rack of ribs on the smoker. While somebody goes to the nearest package store for more bourbon, planning begins for next week's game.
    RoanPonyMare

Default Another One

FANS THAT DON'T HAVE TICKETS:
    Up North: May watch the game on TV at home
    Down South: Must watch the game on TV at the RV after tailgating ALL DAY with the other fans that could not get tickets but are on a waiting list.

Down here the tailgating is sometimes better than the actual game!

2 members found this post helpful.

As a recent Pennsylvanian new to TN, this is very true! It blew my mind when I found out I was expected to be in a dress for a football game, and campus blocked off half of student parking lots the night before a Thursday game.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Nobody in CO could figure out why I asked what to wear to a CSU game. I was born and raised an hour and a half from UVA. And the answer is no, you don't wear dresses to a CSU game! Although my sister, a UW grad, suggested brown and gold!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saddle View Post
    Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by kateh View Post
    As a recent Pennsylvanian new to TN, this is very true! It blew my mind when I found out I was expected to be in a dress for a football game, and campus blocked off half of student parking lots the night before a Thursday game.
    Y'all are STILL expected to wear dresses? Good grief, that is one of the main things that put me off at my first college football game decades ago! I "had" to dress as if for church! Would I still be expected to wear a dress if I went to an SEC game? (Kinda sorta hope I won't be invited .... I will watch on TV but would rather not go to the actual stadium city ... )
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Its funny, I started watching the TV show Friday Night Lights on Netflix a few months ago and could not believe how serious they were about HIGH SCHOOL football. When I found out that is what it is actually like in the south I couldn't believe it!
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

Except for the dress code this is OU to a T, except when the RV's arrive early they park in the Walmart parking lot and tailgating starts there on tuesday. We ride our bikes to the stadium, you would never get a parking space. The homes around the stadium rent out spaces in their front yards! Best games ever, love going.
    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    Y'all are STILL expected to wear dresses? Good grief, that is one of the main things that put me off at my first college football game decades ago! I "had" to dress as if for church! Would I still be expected to wear a dress if I went to an SEC game? (Kinda sorta hope I won't be invited .... I will watch on TV but would rather not go to the actual stadium city ... )
    I see some girls in jeans and appropriately-themed t-shirts, but a good proportion of girls are in a sundress and cowboy boots. At Pitt (where football is taken seriously in the Northern way ), people would assume you'd never been to a game before and weren't a serious fan. But then, we had to wear 4 layers to make it through a late October night game
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JFCeventer View Post
    Its funny, I started watching the TV show Friday Night Lights on Netflix a few months ago and could not believe how serious they were about HIGH SCHOOL football. When I found out that is what it is actually like in the south I couldn't believe it!
    Frisco Tx is building 22,000 seat domed stadium; the district we are in over by Ft Worth spend 48M building a stadium with one of the first large screen LED score boards ($1M) but Denton spent 96M building their combined high school stadium

3 members found this post helpful.

Fairly accurate. Only part is they missed the camping for tickets and students that hold spots as they go back and forth to class.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    You don't have to wear a dress but some people do.

At Carolina games they bring the silver, crystal, and china for the tailgate parties.

I went to Clemson so it's definitely a southern football school. The frat guys/sorority girls wore LOTS of seersucker in orange and purple. I didn't participate in that so I went it jeans with a team t-shirt/jersey. Tailgating would usually begin around 8am. They would close parking lots on thursday and we had to move our cars off campus, but my dorm was right next to the stadium. There was LOTS of booze and BBQ. Tailgates were awesome but nothing like when the team offloaded the busses and ran down the hill.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Well, I don't know about North vs. South, but I'll tell you what college football is like at my alma mater in the Lower Midwest.

Tickets are almost always sold out well before game day. You can buy from scalpers on Craigslist for double the price, if you really want to...

Wednesday before the game is when the RVs for the die hard tailgaters start showing up.

If the game is on Friday, professors almost always cancel classes.

Student tailgate lots open exactly 5 hours before kick off. If you want to get a group of vehicles into a prime lot? Better start a line at the gate at least two hours before that.

Don't have tickets? You can see the jumbotron from the tailgate lot across the street - turn your truck radio on for commentary.

Attire is most decidedly casual.

Run out of food or alcohol? Wander up to random tailgates, holler a specific pro-team word, enjoy offers of food and beer.

I went to a school with a notoriously die hard fanbase though, so your experience may vary within the same region.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

http://elbertchs.sharpschool.net/dep..._granite_bowl/

That is our high school stadium. We are only an AA school most years.

My cousin from Birmingham tells me it really, really matters in the social stratus which team you are supporting. What if you don't like football? Then, when you are asked this really, really important question, what in the world do you say? I guess if you are going to run with the popular crowd, then you must like football, or pretend to?

I would say a lot of what is in the OP is correct. I would just like to add that while I am sure the long skirts are lovely at southern football games, it gets pretty darn cold up here for anyone to last long in that attire!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

That's about right for KY. Our HS shares the stadium with the little college in town, and for years it was the Bengals training camp, so . . . We don't dress up though.

You can tell the UK game days because scads of people are driving around with those little car top banners that you stick in your door. Can't get anywhere near the stadium, and here in KY, if you think football is bad, wait till Basketball season, OMG.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

As girl who went to OU for undergrad and Alabama for grad, I would say that is spot on! Boomer Sooner and Roll Tide!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sandsarita View Post
    As girl who went to OU for undergrad and Alabama for grad, I would say that is spot on! Boomer Sooner and Roll Tide!!!!
    Boomer!

I was at game day in Norman yesterday, and wore a dress and cute sandals. I was freaking miserable. 105 degrees with little wind...the sweat was just rolling. I lasted tailgating from 2:00 until our 6:00 kickoff...and then only made it through the first possession in the stadium... Walked with a friend to the mont and had a swirl. Wonderful decision!

I feel like most of the list is true... I LOVE college football season!

Quote Originally Posted by eventerdiva View Post
    Boomer!

I was at game day in Norman yesterday, and wore a dress and cute sandals. I was freaking miserable. 105 degrees with little wind...the sweat was just rolling. I lasted tailgating from 2:00 until our 6:00 kickoff...and then only made it through the first possession in the stadium... Walked with a friend to the mont and had a swirl. Wonderful decision!

I feel like most of the list is true... I LOVE college football season!
    Sooner!!!

Oh, the Mont. Haven't been there in years. Brings back memories. Need to get back down to Norman soon. And to think I had tickets this weekend but had to travel. Horsies got in the way. Boo.

rustbreeches, LOL! Just wear green and gold ANYTHING. (Go RAMS!)

People dress up for football games? I haven't been to one down here or up north so I had no idea. The only football games I ever went to were Colorado State games out west. We wore t-shirts or sweatshirts, depending on the weather.
    “Time and time again he bears us on his shoulders. No one can strip us of the dignity bestowed upon us by this boundless and unfailing love.".

-Pope Francis