The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Experience with Soft Ride boots for laminitis?

Wondering what experience anyone has with the soft rides and orthotics?
    I am going to put my new/used ones on my guy today. I rec'd a turquoise
    pair as well as a dual/density.

My ?'s-
    Did you shave the frog ridges down?
    What inserts did you use and how did you choose?

I'll prob use the turq ones as that is what the vet and the trimmer suggested.

(my horse is dealing with 60% rotation on his RF-"mechanical" laminitis due to old injury-LF ok.)

Thanks!

I left the frog platform in tact.
    I"ve used them on several different horse in the past 7 yrs or so (worked as tech, BM, floater, etc.) Cant' recall which got the dual density, which got whatever colors available and I cant' recall/ wasn't privy to rotation, etc. in each case.

I will say it's very VERY important to remove those boots 2x daily to take out any debris that accumulates and to check for rubs. You'll find over time the velcro craps out irreparably. Also, if they're poorly fit they *can* change the shape of the new growth -- literally. The upper portion squashes or ruptures and the subsequent wear/ pressure isn't good.

It's best IMHO to use them for several hours a day when the horse is going to be on firmer surfaces. When in his stall in deep bedding, I'd take 'em off.

Saved my mares life! She has chronic mechanical laminitis in the left front (diagnosed at the vet hospital last fall) - major flare up back in the spring in that one foot (all blood work came back normal so not a metabolic problem). My vet came right out and we did icing, bute, heavy bedded stall rest, etc. I was on the verge of having my girl put down but my vet told me to see how she does in the boots which she had overnighted to her office. She had the boots put on on afternoon and by the following night she was full weight-bearing on her bad foot. My vet couldn't believe the turnaround!

The boots come with the standard inserts but we also got the ones made for laminitis so she stayed in those for awhile. She is now in the standard inserts and only for turnout (I would not recommend you turn out with the boots as they aren't designed for it - my mare is in a small area and not her huge field). We did not alter the frog support at all. My farrier is very happy with how the foot is doing and actually has plenty of clients who use the boots. I do remove the boots nightly and she does fine.

Make sure you measure the feet really well so you get the correct size boot. The only issue I've had with them is the nylon sides being worn down. No issues with the Velcro or rubs. I do clean mine regularly (and have a backup pair if one set needs to dry out). I do add generic Gold Bond powder to them daily - helps a ton with the smell which can get pretty bad!

Definitely worth the price !
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

We got them for a friend's mare who had foundered pretty badly. The boots come standard w/the turquoise pads, but we also ordered the purple/turquoise "laminitis/founder" orthotics for the mare, and that's the set we used (probably would have eventually moved her into the turquoise pads, but the mare's Cushings was way out of control & we ended up putting her down). And, yes, we did shave the frog pads down with a hoof knife.
    The difference in this mare's comfort was night & day--she went from lying down a large amount of the time to meandering around the farm. She was by NO means sounds, but certainly much, much more comfortable.
    Topline Leather -- Unique woven crystal & gemstone browbands

Topline Leather's Etsy Shop

Don't even question the boots, just order them. I learned about them from eventgroupie2. Her thread about Willie is on Coth. The boots are instant relief for laminitis and for white line after resectioning, etc. Worth it to buy them. Some people use them for trailering to shows; some for stall rest, etc.

When I recommended them to everyone over at the farrier forum website, I was accused of being a rep for soft-ride, LOL. I just bought a tiny pair for a pony I know, not mine, but he needed the boots.

Buy them. With the regular insoles that come with them. The other inserts might be what a vet or farrier advises for a specific problem. My vet now recommends them to everyone based on my getting them years ago when I needed them for my horse. They are not like any other hoof boot. I wish they could be worn for riding. Keep them on 24/7. You are supposed to take them off once every 24 hours and take out shavings, etc. I found that in deep bedding, very little shavings get into the boot. And no manure. They are made to be worn in stalls 24/7. I called and talked to the nice lady at soft-ride before I bought the boots. She gave me all the info necessary and overnighted my boots to me. Great service, great boots.

I love these responses! Thanks so much! I found a pair of used 6L's which fit him perfectly. However, one is WAY more used and seems almost defective, as the 6L on the back is crooked and it seems the velcro is sewn on crooked too. Did get it to work, tho will keep an eye on over the next few days.

I am thinking to duct tape the gap between the rubber and the velcro.
    Meanwhile, he has the turquoise orthos in and seems happy as can be!

I am happy to see my guy so happy. Heck, cushy as all get out! He doesn't even limp at the walk despite such extreme rotation.

He is confined in a soft arena till we get him through "crisis" mode.

We are so lucky to live in a time that values horses enough to create such amazing boots and inserts! I really hope and pray we can get through this-
    thanks everyone.