The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

That sucks big time. YB I have enjoyed reading your posts over the years. I hope you get well soon.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Hugs and prayers to YB!
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Default hardware

Although it's certainly too early to think about hardware removal, I ditto a previous poster who said get it removed (or something to that effect). My horse ran me over after a seemingly innocuous fall, and my ankle did not survive it well. About a year after, my ankle was killing me, and my ortho suggested getting the plate removed. After that, I was amazed at how much better my ankle was. I assumed the pain was from having been broken, but it was from the plate. (I did leave some screws in....one particular one had to come out before I could start bearing weight, so in all, I had 3 surgeries, and have a couple screws left in there.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie8 View Post
    YB, that combo where you fell was a menace (angled huge bench to angled huge & skinny bench)...hell, Loudoun was a bit of a menace yesterday. A friend was a couple of horses ahead of you (she also fell off), and said she walked that line a bazillion times and it kept coming up at 2 1/2...going downhill....off a turn.

We hung around after walking the training course because we wanted to see how it rode. Ryan came through, after having ridden it at least 3 times, and it was STILL rough. The photographer AND the jump judge said that it was riding best (but not pretty) when people were shoving three in there. But really, because it was angled AND down hill, it wasn't really three...it was still 2 and a half. MAYBE 2 and 3/4 stride. IMO, it was kindof a crappy question. Or at the very best, it was a difficult question to answer, and even if you answered it "correctly", what you taught your horse was not worth the effort.

Here's what I don't understand- if you/your friend thought that it was not a good line, why didn't you say something? If you see a question on a course that you a) don't understand or b) think is bad/dangerous... SAY SOMETHING. That is WHY we have rider reps, and your CDs and other officials are usually more than happy to address concerns, whether it be explaining why something is laid out the way it is, or changing something if it really is not a good question (yes, that happens!). I hate when an accident occurs and people are so quick to condemn the design. Are there bad questions out there? Absolutely. Did this question caused YB's fall? No.

For that combination, it was measured (multiple times, by multiple people) at 49 1/2 ft center to center, and not a single person complained to the rider rep or officials about the distance or terrain after the course opened. The combination was the first real question on the course, and was designed to ask the horse and rider to ride balanced and accurately- center to center in an off set line. I do think the bench A element could have been replaced with a table or roll top to soften the question some. I agree with Divine Comedy about benches in general, they are not my favorite.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    Back in 92', I broke both lower leg bones and fractured my ankle. It was in, I kid you not 19 pieces. I sobbed when I saw the x-ray.

Got plates, screws, the whole nine yards. My surgeon, who played polo, understood my sport. He gave me a choice. He said "You can either wear heels again, or I can fix it so you'll still be able to get your heel down to ride.

No question which one I picked. Every 10 days, I went back. Each time, he carefully recast my leg, each time raising my toes up and stretching that tendon a little bit more. No, I couldn't get my jeans on over it, but all these years later, I can still put my right heel down like a Big Eq girl, it flexes so well. Can't wear more than an inch high heel, but I really don't care. A good bit of the time, I still have a slight limp, but they thought I'd have a big limp and probably not walk without a cane.

Follow all medical advice. I didn't, six weeks after the cast came off, I was back grooming/training Standardbreds. For what it's worth, it was when I discovered that ice boots, ultrasound and Bute work really well.....

Good luck, while it doesn't seem like it now, you will be just fine.
    Ah, the things we horse folk know about major injuries and ERs.

I was waiting in pre-op for my set of plates and screws (I had three breaks) and despite one heck of a day and drugs kicking in, I insisted 1. I be given drugs so I didn't get queasy from the anesthetic 2. That they not leave a scar (a friend got a NASTY scar from a Dr that I think thought he was on the battlefield rather than a hospital and 3. SET MY ANKLE HEEL DOWN!!!! Dr. said that I would lose the prone (is that right) flexion and mentioned heels and I was like, who the heck cares?? Asked him if I looked like a ballerina. I also had them set my boot that way. To be honest, I didn't lose too much of either flexion, but heels are out....

Of course, all this reminiscing and such doesn't help YB right now. Sending healing thoughts.

I also got "stopped up" by the pain killers. But keep on top of the pain. That stuff they give you in the hospital is so good (I did love my button) that it can be a bit of a shock to be on your own.
    "Fool! Don't you see now that I could have poisoned you a hundred times had I been able to live without you." Cleopatra VII

I would agree that the courses at Loudoun this year for whatever reason did not ride well: the intermediate had a ton of issues and the prelim had some questions that did not work particularly well in practice, or were measured oddly (the bench combo at 49.5 feet is a good example, particularly coming down the hill, I think it was a mistake to set it at that distance and not to have a roll top or something a bit more forgiving going in, particularly that early in the course). However, I don't think those issues were the reason for this fall (nor would I blame the bench itself or the dog that barked about ten strides out).

But all of that is besides the point. YB is looking at what sounds like a long and painful recovery. Whatever the cause of the fall, I know I am not alone in sending her my wishes for the best possible recovery. Hitting the deck is no fun at all, worse when it results in serious injury. Take care of yourself, A.

5 members found this post helpful.

Major jingles for you YB, Gryhrs and I have our own sets of orthopedic hardware! Hope you have a speedy recovery and some good drugs!

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpots View Post
    I would agree that the courses at Loudoun this year for whatever reason did not ride well: the intermediate had a ton of issues and the prelim had some questions that did not work particularly well in practice, or were measured oddly .....
    I am not a fan of Loudoun HT II and have not and would not compete above Training Level there. The terrain is not forgiving and the footing is questionable. It's not worth the risk, IMHO.

But I also have several other events in Area II where I will not compete above Training Level due to lack of attention to footing and terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
    I saw the video and even before I read the comments, I thought, "A barking dog, really?! " Shouldn't be allowed .
    Well, heeeeeeres yer train wreck! Sending major jingles to you and Toby. . . a good old fashion train wreck and drugs!!!!!!! Holy barking dogs batman!

BTW totally agree with CindyCRNA.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

while it may not have been the issue here, I have never understood how a sport can set a line with a 1/2 stride in it-yes I know there is a pilot with a brain and has walked the course, but it seems inherently not in the best interest of the horse. Jumper don't do it and those fences fall down.

5 members found this post helpful.

LOUD jingles for an uncomplicated recovery! There may be times when you're frustrated and maybe even a bit depressed, but we're here on the BB for you to vent, for us to commiserate, and maybe even provide some entertainment now and again.

During some enforced "couch time" I had, I ended up reading threads I never would have otherwise, and learned lots. Some of it was about canoeing...
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by omare View Post
    while it may not have been the issue here, I have never understood how a sport can set a line with a 1/2 stride in it-yes I know there is a pilot with a brain and has walked the course, but it seems inherently not in the best interest of the horse. Jumper don't do it and those fences fall down.
    This line was not set on a 1/2 stride. It was a measured 3.

Equi-Sport Services

I didn't have a big problem with the question, other than preferring roll tops to giant benches. It seemed a doable question. Toby is likely to go off to boot camp with Stephen for awhile to see if he can figure out why Toby wants to leave strides out on occasion. He did this at his first prelim, at a roll top in the water. He also launched off a long on at a bench at Surefire. I don't know if he doesn't read these right, or what. We shall see.

waiting to see the doctor to know if I can go home today or not. We're having a hard timing managing pain adequately right now, which sucks! I appreciate all the kind thoughts. This is going to suck.

2 members found this post helpful.

Jingles and healing thoughts, yb!! I already posted on FB (she is already tiring of the "dreaded hospital food"--and who can blame her? There is talk of smuggling Chipotle and a flask into her room ) She is a plucky lass, and this won't keep her down for long. She will need help for quite some time, though: "non-weight bearing for months" were the dreaded words from the Dr.

As for the question "in question", interesting analysis by those who were there; the approach *and* the combo looked tricky just from the video clip, let alone course design that set the line on a half stride--and the damned barking dog certainly didn't help This may or may not have distracted Toby on approach, hard to say, and only Amanda would be able to tell us. Sometimes horses--and riders--get in a "zone", and sounds and other distractions are tuned out.)

STILL. Really, jump judge?? I'm with the other posters who say "don't bring a dog with you to an HT, especially when you're jump judging, and VERY especially when you don't know what the dog's reaction will be. And/or you haven't trained said dog to respond to commands, or calm itself." It's not like jump judges can leave their posts and take a badly behaving, stressed out dog someplace else to calm it down...
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    I didn't have a big problem with the question, other than preferring roll tops to giant benches. It seemed a doable question. Toby is likely to go off to boot camp with Stephen for awhile to see if he can figure out why Toby wants to leave strides out on occasion. He did this at his first prelim, at a roll top in the water. He also launched off a long on at a bench at Surefire. I don't know if he doesn't read these right, or what. We shall see.

waiting to see the doctor to know if I can go home today or not. We're having a hard timing managing pain adequately right now, which sucks! I appreciate all the kind thoughts. This is going to suck.
    Lots and lots of jingles- pain sucks Thinking about you today!

Equi-Sport Services

Adding my jingles from Ontario YB - best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery for both you and Toby.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Posted as you were posting; thanks for weighing in!

Good to hear that you have an action plan in place for him during your "downtime"

When my mare was having issues with "seeing" tables years ago, I bought some large sheets of plywood and set up a jump chute in my outdoor ring. I started by setting the plywood as a "rampy" table, with the leading edge lower, then gradually made it progressively more square--I had put hinges on the edge--and sent her through the chute several times (it had cross rail and placing rails set up so as to give her a "short two" between the X and the "table"), allowing HER tofigure out how to set herself up, jump the thing from a medium spot, and get her shoulders up. She figured it out beautifully, and we NEVER had an issue after that. Thinking outside the box a bit, but it worked for me in this case

OTOH, you have Stephen--infinitely preferable!

So sorry about your pain , Ugh. Hugs and continued jingles--hang in there! You have a great support team.
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

4 members found this post helpful.

Jingles from Indiana...so sorry YB. Hoping you heal quickly.

Jingles for a speedy recovery and better pain management!

Quote Originally Posted by omare View Post

49.5 feet is NOT "2 and a half stride" It is a solid 3 stride distance on cross country.

That being said, one of the thing that has been drummed into me in course design (both show jumping and cross country) I that a 3 stride line is one of the most difficult to RIDE correctly.

With a 2 stride line, even if your stride is a little long or short, you end up at a jumpable distance.

With a 4 stride line, if you are short strided, you can easily add a stride. If you are long strided, both horse and rider have TIME to adjust and shorten.

But with a 3 stride line you basically need to have it "right" as you land from the first fence. By the time you try to lengthen or shorten it is too late.

To answer the other comment, yes jumper course designers DO sometimes set 5.5 or 6.5 stride lines (ONLY)at the upper levels, to force the riders to make a choice (more typically described as "it's a long 5 or a short 6").
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

3 members found this post helpful.