The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Anyone else griped about the start of football season?

I hate football. I understand the rules perfectly well and can follow a game, but I hate the "football culture". People who are perfectly normal for most of a year turn into frothing foaming rabid jackasses during football season. This goes for both college and the pros. I live in SEC country, plus my city has just been through the "we're going to move if you make us pay for our new stadium with our own money" fight with the pro team's ownership.

That, plus there is some unwritten rule that says whatever pro game preceding "60 Minutes" HAS to go into at least one overtime.

11 members found this post helpful.

Sorry, but I can't support you here because I LOVE football season. Between my alma mater (USC) and my very local pro team (49ers) I have all kinds of football to look forward to!

I can't commiserate with you, but I do hope you survive!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

6 members found this post helpful.

So agree with you, Mara. Just another sign of how screwed up our priorities are in this country. I'm in 49ers country, too, and I don't care. Spending billions just to build a stupid new stadium when our schools and roads and parks and police are being devastated?

Can you imagine what a world it would be if all of those people putting all of that effort into a stupid sport put it into helping kids, cleaning up our environment, and trying to do things to improve the world and support each other instead of glorifying brutality?

11 members found this post helpful.

I dont love, but I do like football season. It adds a nice neutral (other than good natured ribbing) topic to talk about with my coworkers.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes, I hate football season too, not because I hate football but because I can't get husband to do 'anything' until it's over. Help in the barn is determined by whether it is half time or not. And now, it is PRESEASON football which is 'leaking' out earlier and earlier extending the season.

I LOVE football season, esp. college ball, but if I still lived in SEC country I'd probably agree with the OP. It's ridiculous down there, and the SEC has never made a secret of not caring in the least about getting any of these guys even a rudimentary education. I'm not fanatical about football, but I do love it. On the NFL level, however, the increasing violence of the game turns me off more each year. Too many brutal injuries.

This is my first year with a hi-def tv, though. Oh, my! What a difference!! Lovely, lovely.

And of course whenever I hear people say that they or their boys won't ever take English riding lessons "because of those tight pants," I say, I guess you don't play football either.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    That, plus there is some unwritten rule that says whatever pro game preceding "60 Minutes" HAS to go into at least one overtime.
    Absolutely!

Don't hate football - father graduated from Notre Dame, so we were raised to watch the games, and it did give us something to do together. Also enjoy an occasional game with others.

But you're right about its place in our list of priorities. Also hate many jocks' attitudes about women. Was a shock to me my first day of college to walk past the football fraternity (an Ivy League school in the SEC), with several members seated in chairs along the sidewalk, to hear them call out ratings.

And sadder still that the attitude has NOT changed all these years later.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I grew up with parents who were rabid Bills fans and have no interest whatsoever in football. It's just too stop and start for me--I prefer the fast-paced blood and gore of hockey. But my husband loves it. I actually don't mind it, because there's something comforting about the Sunday afternoon football game on, and I kinda wish I could get into actually watching it. But Sunday is our usual date day, so I settle for just occasionally making chili or a dip and reading on the couch while he swears at the Bills or the Vikings or whatever.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

I LOVE football and take offense about the "education" comment regarding the SEC. Excuse me - many of the Alabama players have actually completed their studies and graduated before finishing their football career and are taking Masters classes. They have an extremely high graduation rate. They are mostly good kids. Trent Richardson, a star player, took a high school girl who was disabled to her prom because she was a big fan and was a perfect gentleman. Just because we love football, doesn't make us ignorant or redneck, we just enjoy it and I love the adrenalin rush of seeing the Crimson and White hit the field. If you don't like it, don't watch, but don't make comments that show YOUR ignorance! ROLL TIDE!
    PennyG

Oh yeah, Coach Saban has raised MILLIONS for the "Nick's Kids" organization for kids that need help.

8 members found this post helpful.

I love football too. I love that we can get totally caught up in something that really doesn't mean anything. Sort of like safe danger to give you an adrenaline rush without actually putting you in harms way.

GO 49ers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I'm with you, OP.

I don't like any team sports, to be honest. But football is the worst. Basketball comes in just above.

The worst part? Students who come to my 4pm classes and say "Teach, we need out early because such-and-such game is on at 6!" Um -- first, I don't care. Second, I can't let you out an hour early. Third, if you choose to leave, that's your business, but I'm probably going to give out 100 bonus points to anyone who stays.

Edited to Add: I just found a team sport I can get behind -- Reliant Robin Football (Soccer)! I would PAY to watch that again. Anyone want to start a league here in the US?
    Last edited by Alex and Bodie's Mom; Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:48 AM.

7 members found this post helpful.

Alex, if you taught something cool like Accounting I would miss the first half for that
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

As usual, follow the money. Look at Detroit. They've found the money to pay a new sports stadium but are planning to stiff the retirees on their pensions (and those retirees are not eligible for Social Security).

Then there are college sports. It seems that colleges have forgotten their purpose...to educate.

We are one screwed up country, that's for sure.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

7 members found this post helpful.

I LOVE football but I totally get what you said about the rabid jackasses. I'll talk a little smack with friends but it's always good natured. And I much prefer to watch my teams (NYG and Clemson) in the comfort of my own home to avoid the drunken idiots at the bars.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

The only sporting events I like to attend are horse racing and DD's ice skating competitions. I truly do not understand the fascination with following sports. I also dislike large, noisy, inebriated crowds. I am perfectly content to read a book while DH and the kids watch a game, or let DH take the kids to a Rockies game. I did get in a bit of trouble for turning down free Broncos tix without consulting DH. Locally, you would swear we live in TX, so much emphasis is placed on football. DH has already said that DS will not be allowed to play until middle school. A good friend of ours coaches the local team and every time he sees DS, you can tell he is sizing him up to play. DH went to college on a football scholarship, but I really hope DS never plays
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

My husband loves the start of football season. It coincides withe the start of fox hunting season. Win, win. He watches games and I'm not here to nag him.

I don't have the football gene and find it silly to watch grown men run and tackle each other.

Roll Tide

That is all

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

And Ole Miss beat Vandy for the first time in a couple of years.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I hate sports. When I was a kid I sat quietly and behaved while dad played softball, baseball, basketball, golf, bowling. And if it wasnt that, it was all of that on TV. So essentially I spent my childhood watching my dad have fun. Did I mention I hate sports? To even here a game on TV or the radio sets me off big time. I have a wonderful DH that doesnt care for them either. Aint I lucky?

3 members found this post helpful.