The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Drvmb1ggl3 View Post
    I've been told by several vets that the majority of horses that test positive would likely live healthy normal lives (i.e they are asymptomatic). It's just the fact that they can spread it to other horses that is problem. It's especially a problem for pregnant mares as it will generally cause them to abort foals.
    So it is more the possible economic impact that causes horses to be euthanised.
    In that respects it is similar to Foot and Mouth in cattle. Most cattle infected wiht FMD would recover in weeks or monts, but the economic impact of cows not bearing milk, calves being aborted, beef cattle losing weight, is why they go to such drastic measures and you see hundreds of thouands of cattle slaughtered to prevent it's spread when there is an outbreak.
    I don't know how to do the multiquote thing so I just did another post. Its not true that EIA causes mares to abort foals. My dad bought a QH broodmare that came from down in South Louisiana. The mare was positive for EIA but we didn't know it at the time because it wasn't common to test at that time. She had several foals and never lost one. Her foals all tested positive probably because they got the antibodies from their mom's milk. I've been told that if you wean the foal at 3 months they won't develop antibodies to the disease and won't test positive.

All this was about 45-50 years ago (man, I'm ancient). I was a kid. My dad had gotten a stud colt from a friend of his in Houston. The colt developed the disease but recovered and went on to be a herd sire. At that time vets treated the disease with quinine and B12. I had a colt out of this stud that developed the acute phase of the disease and had to be put down. Horses with the acute form develop high fever, anorexia, severe anemia, and swelling of the lower legs and abdoment.

I almost bought a Chincoteague pony who tested positive.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Way back in the late 70's my dad bought an Arabian mare at auction who had a negative test but was actually positive. We lost 26 horses. It was heartbreaking. What made it worse was learning they knew the mare was positive but making $2500 was more important than doing the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by EcstaticLady View Post
    Way back in the late 70's my dad bought an Arabian mare at auction who had a negative test but was actually positive. We lost 26 horses. It was heartbreaking. What made it worse was learning they knew the mare was positive but making $2500 was more important than doing the right thing.
    I am surprised that they could even move the horse.
    Since they started testing, when a horse tests positive, the state steps in and you can't do other than quarantine according to their requirements or euthanize.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernYankee View Post
    Has anyone ever known of a horse to test 'positive' on their Coggins test?
    Yes about 6-7 yrs ago in the next town over. Horse was boarded at a huge kid-friendly low-key boarding facility that hosted a lot of local type shows. Barn was quarantined and all horses tested again. The one horse came back positive again and was euthanized. All the other horses thankfully were fine. The quarantine was eventually lifted.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

A portion of the herd of Chincoteague ponies is positive for EIA. They seem to be doing fine and producing foals.

The Coggins test tests for antibodies... thus a horse that is full of EIA virus and producing few or no antibodies can test negative and it's possible a healthy horse that has fought it off with antibodies will test positive.

If there were an EIA vaccine, and it worked, it would make your horse test positive... and you'd be obligated to euthanize by federal law.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinestone_cowgirl View Post
    The Coggins test also isn't 100% accurate. You could have your vet pull the blood (which would test negative) and when you put your horse back out in the paddock 5 minutes later or the next day, it could contract EIA (Very unlikely, but a possibility).
    That does not constitute inaccuracy in the test.
    The horse had no antibodies to EIA virus at the time the sample was drawn.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

There is a sanctuary in Florida for EIA-positive horses who are asymptomatic. People can sponsor a horse and they can visit, groom, and ride "their" horse. It's almost like a lease except that the horses can never leave the property.

1 members found this post helpful.

The nutjob written about in this article had a barnful of EIA positive horses for years and years.

http://www.telegram.com/article/2010...WS/100829740/0

I first knew of them in the late 70's. He was located near other farms but maybe not close enough for the flies to transmit disease? I was always told that he did not believe the horses transmitted the disease and there were always rumors that he turned out EIA positive horses.

He recently had his herd of mini's taken away for severe neglect.

He has always been an awful person on so many levels.

I remember going into barn his several times as a kid and thinking that there were plenty of flies and I wondered how the disease was not spread. But in all those years I never heard of a person or horse getting sick.

I had friends that ran a "dude" ranch mid 90's. When they decided to disperse they had all horses Coggin tested for sale purposes. One tested positive. They ran the test again to be sure. They owned that horse for 10 years, running with the herd the whole time. She was tattooed and taken to Texas by the state? Really unclear about that...

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    I had friends that ran a "dude" ranch mid 90's. When they decided to disperse they had all horses Coggin tested for sale purposes. One tested positive. They ran the test again to be sure. They owned that horse for 10 years, running with the herd the whole time. She was tattooed and taken to Texas by the state? Really unclear about that...
    Horses that have EIA and live in a sanctuary or in isolation are freeze branded so they can be identified as EIA positive

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernYankee View Post
    I'm not even going there... the OP is from California
    Um, what's that supposed to mean?
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

2 members found this post helpful.

FWIW, about 30 years ago one of the horses at the farm I worked at became listless, lost it's balance and fractured it's pelvis: lots of neurologic symptoms in hindsight, but I'd never seem them before. Vet came out, drew bloods and found the horse to be anemic. Now this horse and many of those on the property shipped to Florida every winter, and they and the rest of the horses on the property always were Coggins negative. After being stumped for a bit, the vet drew a "current" Coggins and the horse was positive. Retesting the whole herd revealed 3 more Coggins positive horses. But the kicker was that the "index" case, the horse that introduced EIA into this herd turned out to be an imported horse that became listless and anemic every autumn. It never tested positive by the traditional Coggins test used at the time, but a new test that was being developed by a vet school (can't remember which one) found that horse to be EIA positive.

Short answer, I've seen Coggins positive horses and horses actually ill with EIA. And I think I've heard anecdotally of the occasional horse testing positive somewhere in New England in much more recent history. So there must be a reservoir of EIA somewhere.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

My first horse came from a horse dealer who had a positive EIA test on the farm about a year prior. This was back in the 90s-- I was just a kid. She came with no paperwork. I remember being SO scared when the vet drew the Coggins that it was going to come back positive and someone would take her away from me!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

When I bought Jet back in 2000, he was at a TB breeding farm with about 300 horses. The barn was on quarantine because 2 mares from KY that came in tested positive. They QT'd the property and would retest all of the horses every 60 days, and would get another positive, so stayed under QT. Jet was a 2 yr old colt then, and had been being fed as if in race training, yet locked in a stall for 6 mo with no handling. He was nuts.
    I had to have the NM State vet come out, do a Coggins test, and when they got the result overnight, then have him seal trailer jet was transported in, follow me to new barn, where he was QT'd 250 ft (or something like that) away from any other horse for another 45 days, then retested, then released from QT.
    So EIA is around.

When I was a kid, there was another younger girl who showed in the same classes as me and our families were friendly. Horse was a backyard, much loved older TWH gelding. They had a coggins pulled to go to 4-H show at the county fair and lo and behold, it came back positive. State came in and family had to relinquish horse to euthanize. It was heartbreaking.

Yes, I have tested horses for EIA and had positive results which were verified through the State regulations/process since it is a reportable disease. Yes, I have run into symptomatic cases of EIA as well. There are multiple reservoirs for the disease located around the US. We have one here in our state that no one can do a thing about because it's [a herd] on one of the Indian reservations.

There is much misinformation being shared here regarding the testing process, regulations and requirements (which do differ state-to-state) and prognosis if one tests positive. If you seriously want to understand the disease, I suggest researching valid sources and then you can determine for yourself if you think the testing requirements and current methods of handling those who simply test positive versus those which are truly diseased animals are appropriate.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Unfortunately, there won't be a vaccine developed because there is not a need.

The coggins is done, and wham, if positive, horse is euth'd.

Vaccines are not developed unless the drug companies think they can make money. they don't do it for altruistic reasons
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

exvet, can you link some sites regarding EIA?

My colt, Brevelyn came from a farm in Alberta through foalquest. A herdmate of his had tested positive for EIA. He and the others from his herd were isolated, and retested. The filly tested positive again, and was immediately euth'd. The remaining foals were put in isolation at another dairy farm and had to be re-tested 30 days later, and were negative.
    The filly who tested positive most likely had her maternal antibodies, and therefore positive from that. If given the time, per the vet, she may have tested negative, but no one had the time for that filly. That is what the provincial vet told me.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    I had to have the NM State vet come out, do a Coggins test, and when they got the result overnight, then have him seal trailer jet was transported in, follow me to new barn, where he was QT'd 250 ft (or something like that) away from any other horse for another 45 days, then retested, then released from QT. So EIA is around.
    I read that the distance was 200 yards (which would be 2 football fields) and that this was considered outside the range that a horsefly would fly from an infected horse to an uninfected horse.