The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Awesome tuxedo cat who thinks he's a dog - indoor or indoor/outdoor home (Balto. MD)

Lenny is... well... a character. He showed up in my tiny city backyard suddenly a couple of months ago, when the weather was still nice enough that people had their windows open. He would sit on my fence and meow for me to come out and pet him, which my rowhouse neighbors surely did not appreciate, so I very quickly snatched him up and took him off to get fixed.

He has a very BIG personality though and wasn't doing well in a crate, and was kind of a pain in the butt to my other cats, so I started letting him go outside again. I think he would be perfectly happy indoors, though... mostly he just wants to be where YOU are. He would probably love to accompany you out to feed in the morning and then come right back in the house. Unlike my other "yard feral," he very rarely leaves the yard. He mostly sits at the back door so I trip over him every time I go outside!

He is rambunctious, and while he gets along OK with other cats, he plays rough and intimidates more timid kitties. I think he would do fine with a cat or cats that are more assertive, though. He's never aggressive, just playful. He will also sometimes grab my ankle as I walk by, and will attack the hose when I'm watering the plants. Like I said, he has a BIG personality... lol!

Now, the one caveat with him is that so far, he does not get along very well with dogs. (UPDATE: see more recent posts, he has learned to get along. ) He beats them up, basically. I *think* he might be OK in a situation where everyone has their own space (and escape routes) but my house is tiny as is my yard, and I have to make sure he and the dog are never in the same space, because my 50 lb. pit bull will get his butt handed to him. If you have dogs who need to be taught to respect cats, he'd be great! But really, he might be a great substitute for someone who wants the company of a dog, but the more laid-back nature of a cat.

Lenny is now neutered, vaccinated for rabies and distemper, FIV/FELV negative, and microchipped. He is probably about 2 or 3 years old. He is very talkative, and has a whole repertoire of chirps and trills. (Fortunately he doesn't *usually* "talk" at full volume!) He's a rough-and-tumble kind of guy, so probably wouldn't be a good match for someone with small kids around, but otherwise he's pretty friendly and outgoing. He does need SOME kind of activity that will drain some of his energy, whether it's outdoor time or indoor playtime. Although I think he'd do well in an indoor/outdoor situation, he probably doesn't want to be solely a barn cat... he likes humans too much and is going to follow you home and want to come inside.

He also has this endearing habit of lying in the grass froggy style... see photo below!

I'm happy to deliver him within two hours of Baltimore. He's a great cat, just needs the right sort of home where he can get his energy out, but still have lots of people time! Oh and he LOVES to sit in your lap. He's almost too big to fit, but he squeezes himself right in there!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1116082_10151811555511399_13027616_o.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	38704   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-94.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	38705  
    Last edited by Erin; Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:11 PM.

Erin is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Forgot to add, I'm not so great about remembering to check back here for responses, so feel free to email me at eharty@gmail.com.

Original Poster

Giving Lenny a bump! He's still not very fond of dogs, so unless he's going to someone who's really committed to slow integration and doing the work necessary to help him trust a dog, he's probably better off in a dog-free home.

He's still spending a good portion of his time outside, but 95 percent of the time he's just lounging in my yard. He also loves to snuggle in bed. He's a really, really great cat and I'd really like to find him an appropriate home soon -- I don't like him being outside in the city.

Do you still have him?
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Original Poster

I do still have him, he really needs a home! Anyone interested, please send me an email, since I don't check here that often: eharty at gmail.

Original Poster

Still looking for a home for Lenny! He is, actually, getting a BIT more tolerant of dogs. The dogs are also getting better at learning to stay out of his way. My pittie refuses to get off the couch if he's in the living room. So he could, potentially, be OK with dogs, as long as you are OK with the fact that your dogs will get whapped on the nose a good amount until Lenny establishes his supremacy.

This cat is seriously awesome! He loves to cuddle in bed, and will usually snuggle up right on my pillow, in the crook of my neck. He would be a great indoor/outdoor kitty for someone with a backyard barn.

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

This is EXACTLY the kind of cat I want for my new horse facility... unfortunately in San Diego though. Funny thing is that I grew up 30 min west of Baltimore though (Mt. Airy). Hope you find a great home for this great-sounding kitty
    ~Living the life I imagined~

Original Poster

If I get desperate enough, I could buy him a plane ticket...

He is seriously a riot. It really amuses me how different cats can be when they are neutered late... not that I would want to encourage anyone to wait to neuter, buut if you should happen to come across an ex-tomcat, they are so awesome! They have HUGE personalities and are so much fun.

I have discovered Lenny can be kind of territorial around other male cats, so may do best with females. He is continuing to do better with the dogs. He seems most interested in people, though.

Original Poster

So, Lenny is still looking for a home... sigh.

He is now fine with the dogs. He'll still get up in their faces if they don't respect his space, but they almost always do. So he should be fine with cat-friendly dogs as long as you give them time to adjust.

He IS territorial outside toward other cats, and will usually chase them off. (Which may be a benefit, if you want to keep stray kitties away.) He leaves my one female kitty who likes to sit outside on my patio alone, but he chases the other indoor/outdoor male cat.

He LOVES to snuggle in bed. He sleeps half on my pillow, with his face snuggled up next to my neck. He actually sleeps on the bed NEXT TO the dog, so obviously they've come to a truce.

This guy would really love a "house" home where he can just go outside with his people occasionally, but would be OK as a barn cat too. I really would like to find him a home soon!