The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Compliments" your senior horse has received - mine "goes around like an old grandpa"

A did a little "day at the barn" with a friend's daughter yesterday who got sucked in by "The Saddle Club" and wanted to hang out at a barn. I'm always excited to get a kid addicted to horses, so I was happy to do it.

I used my 26 year old, mostly-retired Trakehner gelding, Sergio. We went over safety. She learned how to groom, and spent about an hour doing it. She watched me longe, to understand the different gaits. We tacked up. She had a short lesson, maybe 20-25 minutes. We untacked and groomed again. We ate lunch, and looked at pictures of different breeds of horses. She cleaned tack. She groomed my other horse, Signy. It was a good time.

I pretty much enjoyed everything about the day, but I think my favorite part was when she said "I want to ride Signy next time - Sergio goes around like an old grandpa!"

"Going around like an old grandpa" was probably the best compliment I could have received about that horse - he adjusts to his rider, and sometimes channels his inner three-year-old with more experienced riders. The comment is still making me smile.

What are your favorite "compliments" that your senior horses have received?

1 members found this post helpful.

"Your filly is beautiful." And "Callie has perfect conformation. You couldn't have picked her out yourself. Someone else must have."

Callie was about 20 at the time of the 2 above compliments, both by experienced horse people. Nothing like a hot and spirited ottb mare.

For years, no matter who came see the horses, their compliments were always for our paint, even when he was 30 years old.
    He was beautiful, always fat, clean looking, shiny and stood out.
    He was really well built also and rode like a dream.

The first time or two, it caught me by surprise, trying to figure who they were saying how "pretty" that horse was, since some of the others were outstanding horses in their own plain wrapper way.

Sounds like you had a great time with that kid and gave her a day to remember for long.

My best compliment I could ever want for my horse? "Wow, what a nice school horse." Or, as I put it, "My Old Lady Horse." Neither meaning that my mare's a dud, but that she performs for an accomplished rider, but fills in to whatever extent she needs to for a newer rider. That is perfection, IMHO! :-)

Mine always gets "OMG! I can't believe he's 28 (or 27 or 26, etc). He IS an Arab, but is ridden and groomed 5X/week, is in great shape, and has a cute baby face.

From the vet, during her yearly exam "She looks like she's 15, not 28."
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I regularly get "great prospect" comments, "nice horse but green" etc. for my 15 year old mare. No, she's not a senior, but really almost no one believes she's "middle aged." Including her.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I think one of the best ones was when some folks approached us at a Pony Club Rally, wanting to buy the Old Girl. They came up and made some comments about son the rider, getting SO tall, and wondered if the Old Girl would be coming up for sale? They loved how well she went for him, always so responsive and doing exactly what was needed to get the job done. They had also seen how nice she was to handle in the stall and NEVER got excited with things happening around her.

I was rather surprised at them asking, listened to their remarks and said that "You do know she is an older horse?" They said they didn't care, they wanted the SAFEST horse possible for their small daughter. The Old Girl was consistant, reliable in all situations they had seen her in at a couple Rallies, just the kind of horse they thought would be best to own. I asked them how old they thought she was? They answered 19yrs, and I had to say they missed her age by 10 years, she was 29yrs at that Eventing Rally.

And I also had to say how sorry I was, but the Old Girl was not for sale, never would be. I had raised her from a foal, she was Family! THANK YOU for the lovely compliments about her though!! They left with the little girl crying, but the Old Girl had my young daughter at home to train as a rider. That was her last PC Rally, but she taught my daughter a great many things, got greatly enjoyed, before we lost the old horse at age 35yrs. She was about the best gift horse ever, did anything and everything I ever wanted to try, and did it well. She made me and the kids look darn good over the years!

4 members found this post helpful.

"He's super and he'll be even better when his brain matures some more"

"...He's 22"

As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

5 members found this post helpful.

Best compliment my 21 year old who was still undersaddle got was that he seemed distinguished, like he should be wearing a smoking jacket and smoking a Cuban cigar in a library somewhere. I about died laughing.

2 members found this post helpful.

"Best damn horse I ever rode"-from two pretty serious working ranch men and a couple young girls... in reference to my husband's 33 year old mare. followed closely by "she's too hot for the kids but I love to ride her" spoken by an older ranch lady this summer! LOL

"sarge is looking great" is another one when she was mistaken for another horse 15 years her junior! LOL

She's awesome, I wish we could clone her even though she scared me a little every time I rode her and she has my MIL's exact personality...

I filled in one time with my junior jumper in an Hunter in Hand division to fill the class.

While everyone else stood quietly nose to tail preened and lovely he reared , piaffed , screamed and threw me around like a ragdoll.

The judged commented on how nicely put together he was and that once he got over his toddler years and got some miles he would do very well.

He was 17....
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

after winning a championship at a Class A state vet inspectors impounded the mare for a drug screen.

she was a bay and we had three other bays that are near identical including her half sister.

The vets looked at her papers, looked at the horse then said we had switched horses on them saying the mare in front of them couldn't be older than eight

We had to bring in the show's management as they knew our horse well and could identify it for the inspectors.

She was eighteen at the time

Quote Originally Posted by Kaluna View Post
    Best compliment my 21 year old who was still undersaddle got was that he seemed distinguished, like he should be wearing a smoking jacket and smoking a Cuban cigar in a library somewhere. I about died laughing.
    Oh, I love this!

A new (and very good) vet who checked out my gelding last year guessed he was 16-18 based on his appearance, rather than the 25 that he was at the time. Less knowledgeable people often guess 10-12.

I almost feel sorry for horse people who have never had one of these vibrant oldsters to enjoy. I know a few people who won't consider anything older than 12, but to me they are just hitting their prime at that age.

As my horse blatantly solicited every gelding in sight at the first off-property trail ride of the Spring, causing the geldings in the next trailer to all but come through their trailer doors, "Wow, she's kind of a hootchie-kootchie girl, isn't she?"

She actually is a cougar. She is 23. You go, girl.

The best compliment I ever got was my 19 year old Morgan jumper passing his therapeutic riding horse "exam" and was able to be used in the program. I could not have been a prouder Mom than when I watched him take that exam (I had to watch from afar, they wouldn't let me anywhere near him) and stand quietly as beach balls were thrown at his head, hula hoops were hung around his neck, and bubbles were blown in his face, none of which he had ever experienced before. Though the bubbles did cause his eyes to widen and nose to flare a bit. When I moved out of state (taking the horse with me), all of his regular riders were in tears. It was heartbreaking.

I got my TB mare, sometimes known as "the machine," when she was 22 and had to put her down when she was 27. She was the perfect first horse and we had a wonderful time together. She was the perfect teacher, tailoring her lessons to my progress, but always took care of me (only time I came off of her was when she fell).

She was very enthusiastic about many things, but particularly cantering, galloping and jumping. Best comments were, "All the horses were racing around the field and your mare was leading the pack" (when she was 26).

A teen who borrowed her to take her to an event (pre-Novice) when she was 25 and they were coming off of cross country: "I couldn't pull her up." I have some great photos of that day. She was so thrilled to be back to eventing, she was strutting, all puffed up.

The BO: "I led her to the gate to turn her out and she was bucking on the end of the lead shank."

I loved that horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    From the vet, during her yearly exam "She looks like she's 15, not 28."
    That is what our vet used to say of our old man, "he looks half his age", which would have been 15, since he was 30.

Some oldsters, like people, just don't show their age, do they.

From the chiro: I work on 10yr olds that don't have this sound a body
    From the vet: Well....when he matures a bit, he'll get the sillies out. Oh wait....is he REALLY 20?
    From DH: I just LOVE riding this horse! Such a pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaluna View Post
    My mom's horse is 21 and for years now we've been comparing him to Agatha Christie's character, Hercule Poirot: he hates cold, must have his morning tea (warm water) and has a gourmet palate!
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"