The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tell me about horsekeeping in and around Orlando/Melbourne

What's the horse scene like around the Cape Canaveral/Orlando/Melbourne area of Florida? What's a ballpark price for basic board? Any chance of buying horse property? Vets/farriers easy to come by? I have two horses and have a h/j background but am mostly pleasure riding and doing a bit of dressage currently.
    Last edited by SkipHiLad4me; Mar. 29, 2013 at 09:32 AM.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Central florida resident here - though I live on the northwest side of town. I have found that board is all over the map, depending on your wants/needs. There are a number of farms in the Oviedo-Chuluota are that take boarders, and I don't think land is outlandishly expensive, though again, it depends on what you want. I'm paying $850 for full board, covered arena, great (sprinklered) pastures, trainer access, trailer parking and excellent care. You can board a retired horse either pasture board or w/ stall for $300 -$400. Unlike the horror stories of costs down Wellington way, this area is not materially different than what I paid in N/E Ohio. If you want to contact some people in the Oviedo-Chuluota area, pm me. There are a number of good general practice vets, and an EXCELLENT mobile diagnostic vet with state of the art equipment. Farriers pretty easy to find as well.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Thanks 2tempe! Appreciate the info.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Quote Originally Posted by SkipHiLad4me View Post
    What's the horse scene like around the Cape Canaveral/Orlando/Melbourne area of Florida? Whats the cost or board like? Any chance of buying horse property? Vets/farriers easy to come by? I have two horses and have a h/j background but am mostly pleasure riding and doing a bit of dressage currently.
    First off, Orlando might as well be a different country if you live "in Brevard" as the residents from Titusville to probably Palm Bay call it. Really, it's amazing but the county has its own vibe and style and considers itself NOT Orlando (I didn't understand until I moved here after being in Orlando for two years. I still work in Orlando and people gasp at the commute !!)

Even so, there's the whole gamut from top-shelf to call-the-animal-rescue facilities. Take a good look at maps: there's west of the river, east of the river, but west of the ocean, and then the ocean. Both prices and temperatures vary a lot. There are "professionals" I think shouldn't even be on a horse much less teaching to the likes of Ann Gribbons (in Oviedo/Chuluota). Facilities from broken down boards and loose barbed wire to palatial. Barefoot proponents to high-tech shoers. Backyard vets to a new clinic that routinely does stem cell therapy (including lab work) and MRIs.

There is lots of horse-possible property in communities like Canaveral Groves and Melbourne at what I would consider to be reasonable prices, but I haven't investigated carefully. I'm happy boarding.

My horse is currently in full board at a dressage barn in Cocoa. Excellent instruction/training, very good care at what I consider to be a fair price (but I moved here from the San Francisco Bay Area). I think for the area it's kind of top-shelf, but I'm working with one of the best trainers ever (in my experience/life).

Last year while a horse was recuperating from surgery, she lived at a basic place with limited trail access, a couple arenas, and decent hay/feed. Full board was about $550. I've been to a basic, safe place in Port St. John, which is probably also in that price range, and I've been to a gorgeous facility (something) Oaks where the trailer-in fee is $20 (well worth it for the lovely jump arena and very sweet x-c). Wickham Park is public and has very nice trails.

PM me if you want the name of a high-end-ish horsey realtor who can give you more than just impressions.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

Thanks AllWeather! I checked out the GOHJA site upon advice found in an old thread to see some of the local farms advertised there and it looks like there are some very nice farms in the area. Coming from my area (which I consider an ampit of the horse world. haha) , I would think I was in heaven to have access to so many farms with such great amenities in such a localized area.

I found this thread and wanted to get some more information. I am possibly relocating to the Melbourne area in the near future and I need to find a good barn in the area. I am willing to pay around $700 month for full board. I could use some advice on the best barns in the area.

I mostly ride lower level dressage and I prefer a place with decent arenas to ride in, preferably a covered, lighted one with mirrors. My horse LOVES turnout and I prefer to have him outside for at least 8 hours a day but when the weather is right (not too hot) he is fine outside for longer. I would also love a place with access to some trails. I also prefer a cross discipline barn with access to a variety of trainers.

Can anyone make some recommendations on barns that fit that bill? Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by connieg10 View Post
    I found this thread and wanted to get some more information. I am possibly relocating to the Melbourne area in the near future and I need to find a good barn in the area. I am willing to pay around $700 month for full board. I could use some advice on the best barns in the area.

I mostly ride lower level dressage and I prefer a place with decent arenas to ride in, preferably a covered, lighted one with mirrors. My horse LOVES turnout and I prefer to have him outside for at least 8 hours a day but when the weather is right (not too hot) he is fine outside for longer. I would also love a place with access to some trails. I also prefer a cross discipline barn with access to a variety of trainers.

Can anyone make some recommendations on barns that fit that bill? Thanks!!!

PM sent!
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

I hate Orlando. Every trip anywhere near there reminds how much I dislike the place. There is something about too many people, from too many different states/countries, crammed together in a place that specializes in hospitality at their workplace. it must be depressing to live in a permanent vacation city. At least, that's why I am guessing the folks there tend to be so.....surly when they aren't at work with a Mickey Mouse smile.

Can't speak about the other two cities mentioned, but Orlando could be very disappointing for you. You might want to spend some quality time in each city and get a feel for them.
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    I hate Orlando. Every trip anywhere near there reminds how much I dislike the place. There is something about too many people, from too many different states/countries, crammed together in a place that specializes in hospitality at their workplace. it must be depressing to live in a permanent vacation city. At least, that's why I am guessing the folks there tend to be so.....surly when they aren't at work with a Mickey Mouse smile.

Can't speak about the other two cities mentioned, but Orlando could be very disappointing for you. You might want to spend some quality time in each city and get a feel for them.

Microbovine- from your post I take it you have not actually spent time in actual Orlando- but rather in the area of Disney-which is not Orlando- part of it is in a whole other county.

Before making a horrible, uneducated response about a city- I would suggest you actually go there.

Orlando is actually a great place with old historic houses, lakes, brick streets, big spanish moss. To actually be in Orlando you would of visited Thornton Park, College Park, a trip into the town of Winter Park, along with Lake Eola and the amazing restaurants and culture that you can find. (top James Beard award winning restaurants, micro brews along with many other great offerings). Disney and the areas surrounding it are not Orlando.

Along with the fact that most people who live in Orlando do not work in hospitality or at a resort- those who do work in those fields tend to live a short distance from the resorts(again- not ORLANDO). Those who live in Orlando tend not go drive past I-Drive as that is where all the tourists are and you are out of Orlando proper.

I also feel bad that you are so closed minded when it comes to a diverse culture. Having the ability to learn about all different cultures is amazing. Their is a great hispanic culture, a vietnamese town along with almost anything else you can look for- it really creates a vibrant place to live that is rooted in historic presence.

Please learn where you are visiting before making a negligent statement about a city.

3 members found this post helpful.

I spent very little time at Disney. I am not fond of Orlando. There might be some nice people there, but I have had too many bad experiences. It's on my list of places I dislike. (Hate was probably too strong a word; my apologies).

War veteran

Don't worry about saying what you feel about Orlando, Microbovine. I live in Winter Park. I hate Orlando. I moved here from a wonderful life in the countrysides of Pa and West Virginia. Although it was culture shock at the time, at least Orlando wasn't bad. Over the years though, as the population has increased, so has the traffic and crime. While Winter Park is a nice town, all of the wonderful old historic homes are being demolished for mcmansions. There are still some cool areas, like the Mills 50 district with all its oriental restaurants and shops, Thornton Park and Lake Eola. But so much is being developed, the county wants to bulldoze every tree and pollute our gems of waterways. It is really sad to see how much has been cemented and concreted over. Farms are further and further out.
    If I could, I would leave...in a heartbeat! Unfortunately, hubby is self-employed and moving is not an option.
    I agree about the vast differences of boarding facilities. There are, in my opinion, a lot of people who have no business boarding horses. But any experienced horse person will figure out the bad from the good places!
    Last edited by Lori T; Jul. 30, 2013 at 07:52 AM.
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

1 members found this post helpful.

There is also a water war going on and we are trying to save additional poaching of the St. John's River from Orlando, The Villages, and it's sprawl. The lakes we used to enjoy up here in northern Florida are dry. Completely dry. The springs that feed them are just a trickle. I think Florida needs to build desalination plants along the coasts so all the lakes don't disappear altogether. The impact on wildlife is staggering. More animals hit by cars because they have to travel further to find water.

Don't lecture me on diversity! It ain't about diversity. It's about a fast growing city that is contributing to the destruction of wildlife all over the state.

War veteran

In particular I am looking at Brevard County in Florida nearer to Melbourne, not Orlando.
    Two barns that looked good (from Web sites) are Half Halt and Brevard Equestrian Center, although the former was about 2x more than I wanted to spend. My biggest concern is getting a place that will take AWESOME care of my horse and has friendly easy going people. I am not a DQ and I just want to enjoy my boy and keep learning

I appreciate any good recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by connieg10 View Post
    In particular I am looking at Brevard County in Florida nearer to Melbourne, not Orlando.
    Two barns that looked good (from Web sites) are Half Halt and Brevard Equestrian Center, although the former was about 2x more than I wanted to spend. My biggest concern is getting a place that will take AWESOME care of my horse and has friendly easy going people. I am not a DQ and I just want to enjoy my boy and keep learning
    I appreciate any good recommendations.

I have several customers who board at Half Halt and also my massage therapist works on horses there. Have heard only good things about the place!
    Lori T

Try royal palm in Melbourne, was about 550 a year or so ago. No grass but decent individual paddocks, nice barn, and Cathy and Jeanne take great care of the horses. Very good independent trainer eventing, dressage and jumping.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori T View Post
    Don't worry about saying what you feel about Orlando, Microbovine. I live in Winter Park. I hate Orlando. I moved here from a wonderful life in the countrysides of Pa and West Virginia. Although it was culture shock at the time, at least Orlando wasn't bad. Over the years though, as the population has increased, so has the traffic and crime. While Winter Park is a nice town, all of the wonderful old historic homes are being demolished for mcmansions. There are still some cool areas, like the Mills 50 district with all its oriental restaurants and shops, Thornton Park and Lake Eola. But so much is being developed, the county wants to bulldoze every tree and pollute our gems of waterways. It is really sad to see how much has been cemented and concreted over. Farms are further and further out.
    If I could, I would leave...in a heartbeat! Unfortunately, hubby is self-employed and moving is not an option.
    I agree about the vast differences of boarding facilities. There are, in my opinion, a lot of people who have no business boarding horses. But any experienced horse person will figure out the bad from the good places!
    I couldn't agree more. I live in West Orange County, I would leave tomorrow if I could. Over in Lake County (the only place with actual rolling hills) they are cutting down all the trees and leveling the hills....all for the sake of building businesses. This entire area has lost it's "charm". I want out, so badly. We are working on making that happen, but that takes time...

Quote Originally Posted by OTTB_Lover View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I live in West Orange County, I would leave tomorrow if I could. Over in Lake County (the only place with actual rolling hills) they are cutting down all the trees and leveling the hills....all for the sake of building businesses. This entire area has lost it's "charm". I want out, so badly. We are working on making that happen, but that takes time...
    I remember when the area around Clermont was nothing but rolling hills covered with orange trees. The freezes of the mid 1980's killed the trees and that was the changing point, for the worse in my opinion, for Lake County. I used to want to move there so badly for the hills. Now all you see are rooftops. I do love downtown Winter Garden though. So charming and like being in Mayberry. Downtown Winter Park while still charming in its stores, is so pretentious. We tried to sell our home in Winter Park but no one wants to pay asking price right now...they want bargains. Our house needs nothing and we are not giving it away. We took it off the market, but I hope in a few years we can finally get it sole and relocate to a farm. I still love Chuluota, where my horse is. I really want to go to Sorrento, somewhat hilly, but it is too far for my husband. Even though he works from home, he still has to go into town pretty often.
    Lori T

i'll be spending the winter in Tavares on lake harris.
    i'm not bringing my horse with me, but if I feel well enough would love to half lease a horse from a friendly trail riders' barn.