The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The White Eye

Do you think that white around the eye indicates nutty horse? My friend loved the pics of my often mare until she then saw her in person and made an offhand comment about it. Mare is in your pocket sweet level headed so far

In the western world, that used to be said of "walleyed" horses with any degree of white showing.
    I expect there were some lines that were flighty that had those and so all with those eyes were being considered flighty.
    Cause and effect are not always what we assume, are they.

You also heard that saying about one white foot, ok, two look him over good, three, beware and four, "feed it to the crows".

With so many paints out there today, that have much more white showing in their eyes, people today are getting used to that just being part of otherwise normal horses.

My QH Sonny had just a little bit of white always showing. It gave him a slightly startled look. He was a good solid citizen. Was used as a lesson horse for beginners. He had virtually no spook in him and was really lazy in the ring.

So no I know it does not indicate a nutty horse.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    My QH Sonny had just a little bit of white always showing. It gave him a slightly startled look. He was a good solid citizen. Was used as a lesson horse for beginners. He had virtually no spook in him and was really lazy in the ring.

So no I know it does not indicate a nutty horse.
    If that Sonny goes back to Sonny Dee Bar, yes, those have old paint lines back there and many show white around the eyes.
    Could not find nicer, less reactive, puppy dog personalities, showing us that no, white showing is not flighty in itself.

I heard that same for years and still today, if a horse has more than most white around the eyes, I double check, to be sure it is not flighty.
    Old habits are hard to break.

My trainer does not particularly care for wall-eyed horses and really does not like if they have one blue and one brown eye. I cannot recall if two blue eyes are alright with her. It is all bias based on personal experience.

I love looking at threads asking about conformation and try to see what other people note in pictures, but what makes me laugh is the comment 'he has a really kind eye'. What does that even mean? I bet my crazy mare has a really kind eye...I should take a confo shot of her and see if I get that comment at all.

I know a horse with tons of white around his eyes (he has brown eyes). He is probably the chillest, calmest, sweetest horse ever born! He always looks kind of surprised or worried, though, but that is only because of his eyes, since he is totally relaxed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Wall eyes bother some people due to how they look. They tend to look more "human" and less animal since we rarely see pets/animals eyes with white that shows. And that can freak people out.
    The "wall eyes are crazy" probably started due to a horse being spooked will widen it's eyes and some white may then show. Possibly people assumed a wall eye was always spooky, who knows?
    Others agree with the showing whites being crazy because they have issues winning arguments with Appaloosas, LOL!

Wall eyes don't bother me. Neither do watch eyes (one blue eye) or blue eyes horses. Although I would probably pass on a blue eyed horse if they had pink surrounding the eyes instead of darker skin.

Many of the old sayings are old wives' tales. And some we still say as more of a joke...like beware the chestnut mare! And like Bluey said, used to be thought that 3-4 white feet on a horse meant it will have weak feet and go lame.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

One of my current horses will show white when alert and he is a little reactive at times.
    I don't think that he shows white is a sign that he may be reactive, just that when he is reactive, his white in the eye shows more.
    Another equally reactive horse with less white we would not notice anything different.

Mine has a wild, white, evil eye. From what I've heard she always a was a kind of wild, not sure if I would term her nuts. She does have one or two mean bones in her, and hates being still. A head shot was enough to convince one of my coworkers that his austic 6 yro didn't need to ride her (he'd hinted/asked several times before)

The other one has a "kind eye" Never.Again. Sweet on the ground, but massive *itch if you want her to work. This is the one that worries, too. Sweet is highly overrated.

More mythical nonsense it's a conformation of eye nothing else....personally I will choose that eye over another in a horse....gives them character...

2 members found this post helpful.

My guy has white around each eye and one is brown and the other is blue. I may be a bit biased, but I'm pretty sure he's the best horse in the world . He's a solid citizen for beginners and a blast to ride in general.

Brown eye: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Blue eye: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Blue eyes sorta freak me out but I try not to let that prejudice me against the animal.

Goat's eyes bother me, too. Although I think goats themselves are cute, cute, cute, I just can't look into those eyes!

A breeder of Davenport Arabians once told me that the Arabs considered the all-brown eye the "angel eye" and one with white showing the "man eye".

Quote Originally Posted by altermetoday View Post
    Do you think that white around the eye indicates nutty horse? My friend loved the pics of my often mare until she then saw her in person and made an offhand comment about it. Mare is in your pocket sweet level headed so far
    Appys have white around the eye, they are smart and they don't take a lot of Sh*t before they start fighting back so there is my theory of where the saying got started.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

It doesn't make them crazy, it makes them not as attractive (to some).
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

People ask me all the time if my horse is blind in his blue eye. I typically point to my own blue eyes and say my eyes are blue, but I'm not blind
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

After owning an Appaloosa for as long as I did, it took me forever to get used to seeing them WITHOUT a white sclera! I actually like the look.

I think it's just that, to those who have dark-scleraed horses, the horse with white sclera looks flighty b/c the only time they usually see it is when other horses ARE being flighty. (I hope that makes sense).
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    One of my current horses will show white when alert and he is a little reactive at times.
    I don't think that he shows white is a sign that he may be reactive, just that when he is reactive, his white in the eye shows more.
    Mine is just like this. It's pretty common in Morgans, and for the "hotter" types of classes (e.g. park saddle, park harness, in-hand) is considered a plus.

But at the same time, many people have told me that she has a "kind eye." She's pretty awesome no matter what her eyes look like.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

My young guy (hann) has one where the white sclera shows, complete with white eyelashes and a blaze that goes over the top.....I think he's the cutest thing ever AND he's completely sane and level headed (been on stall rest for almost 2 mths with NO drugs whatsoever) and for riding he's just amazingly zen about everything!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

I was taught that a walleye is specifically white or blue in the iris. I think the OP is talking about horses that have sclera showing around the typically brown part.

FTR my horse does have some sclera showing most of the time. It gives him a bit of a worried look but believe me, he's a far cry from nutty. Good solid guy that can take a joke. He has to be able to take a joke, he has me as a rider.

Quote Originally Posted by JBCool View Post
    After owning an Appaloosa for as long as I did, it took me forever to get used to seeing them WITHOUT a white sclera! I actually like the look.

I think it's just that, to those who have dark-scleraed horses, the horse with white sclera looks flighty b/c the only time they usually see it is when other horses ARE being flighty. (I hope that makes sense).
    Makes perfect sense to me.