The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Our ceiling vents do not let sun in. They are built so they just pull airflow. I can open them front or backwards when it rains. I do love my drop down windows. I can slide them open or drop them and have sliding windows at rear. I did get a ramp with Dutch doors that I love because I can travel with the doors open up to for more air.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I love my insulated ceiling - stops the drips in winter, stays cooler longer in the summer, deadens sound. Mine actually is just yellow foam sprayed on.
    I think that is the one thing I would not go without.

I also have good outside lights along the side because we often are tacking up I the dark.

I wish I had ordered (but did not) is a vent or a screened window in the door, in the tack room. There have been times when we could have slept in it, but would have suffocated!
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I also would suggest big back up lights for those nights when parking in the dark.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    Those ceiling vents, are they worth it? I have a sunroof on my car (Subaru forester), and I fry in stalled traffic in the summer. Stupid sunroof seems to break the insulation effect of the rest of the roof, it gets hot to the touch (car is dark color too).
    They direct air down when the trailer is in motion. They don't do much in stalled traffic.

As far as color goes, I stuck with white on the LQ. Not much I could do about the smaller trailer, it is all aluminum of the usual aluminum color. I can never believe it when I see people buying dark colored horse trailers, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    They direct air down when the trailer is in motion. They don't do much in stalled traffic.

As far as color goes, I stuck with white on the LQ. Not much I could do about the smaller trailer, it is all aluminum of the usual aluminum color. I can never believe it when I see people buying dark colored horse trailers, myself.
    21 yrs ago I purchased the demo Bison TB size trailer at the Congress. It was a dark brown with insulated roof. (I only just in the last month sold that trailer for a new one.) I never had a problem with heat because of the dark color. I do live in Ohio so maybe never as hot in the southern states. I really liked that trailer as it pulled so nice and the horses seem to love it too as I never had a horse refuse to get in---in fact they all acted like the family dog--- She hooked the trailer up!! Let's see who can get in first!! That trailer had front vents plus sliding side windows and sliding back windows.
    My definate "must have" in my new trailer was: Step up and full size front escape doors (as opposed to those little half doors that used to be so common in the 70-80's. Over the years I have hauled sooo many young first time in the trailer horses that the ability to step right out the front with minumn fuss is very important to me. Where my old trailer had only one full length escape door my new one has a full lenght door on both sides. Some people like to walk straight through to the dressing/tack room but that was an option that I really didn't want. Easy enough to step out of main part and open door to dressing room. The dressing room has a crank up roof vent and a sliding window in the door which so far seems to keep the area cool enough though I might look into a fan to add to the roof vent!

I went cheap and I have a Ryobi fan from Home Depot that runs off the same batteries as our power drills. It has a bunch of hooks that you can use to attach it different ways. It moves a fair amount of air and no wiring required-- so I can just move it into the dressing room or outside or whatever and then hook it back up for the trip home. It runs on Hi for about six hours on one of the batteries but throwing a spare one into the dressing room is no big deal.

My new trailer will have stock sides behind the dressing room doors, so no issues there with ventilation.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    I went cheap and I have a Ryobi fan from Home Depot that runs off the same batteries as our power drills. It has a bunch of hooks that you can use to attach it different ways. It moves a fair amount of air and no wiring required-- so I can just move it into the dressing room or outside or whatever and then hook it back up for the trip home. It runs on Hi for about six hours on one of the batteries but throwing a spare one into the dressing room is no big deal.

My new trailer will have stock sides behind the dressing room doors, so no issues there with ventilation.
    Thank you for the tip on the Ryobi fan! I will look into one.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DressageFancy View Post
    Thank you for the tip on the Ryobi fan! I will look into one.
    it's this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-One...7#.Uhp6MGRASg8

more cost effective if you already have the batteries or have a need for a drill, but I like that I can hook it in different places depending on where I need airflow. I once bungeed it to some slats on a stock trailer. And when I'm really hot, I can pick it up and hold it in front of my face!

I have one of those wire grid organizers in the front of my trailer (www.organizedbarn.com I think...) and I got a basket that it fits in-- so I just clip the top hook with a double ended snap to make sure it's upright, and leave it in that when the trailer is moving.

1 members found this post helpful.

soloud ... thanks for the links!
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

I have a Trails West Classic 2h. I bought it because it was the biggest warmblood size I could find. My only complaint is that it its not a GN with living quarters otherwise its been an awesome trailer. Things I couldn't live without: dropdown windows. My previous trailer didn't have them, would never buy one without again. Also, swing out saddle racks. Great for haul in shows and make packing super easy. Lastly we got the 50gal water tank. I didn't use it for years... Then took my horse to a show and he refused to drink their water and started behaving colicky. Don't go anywhere without a tank if farm water now just in case and I'm so glad I have that thing!

I love my front ramp and the openness of my new Eclipse trailer.http://www.eclipsealuminumtrailers.c...ht-loads/st-sr My non loader now loads. It also has lots of windows, roof vents and fans. I didn't put a dressing room wall in so in a pinch I could haul a third (small) horse.

I keep a luggable loo handy, either in the front of the trailer or the pickup
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

For a slant load... Back drop-downs are a must have for the summer heat. Stuck in traffic? Open the fronts & back and it's like a run-in shed. Even at high noon crawling forward! The horses elicit smiles from passing drivers as they nod to them. (I do pull over after the jam to close the fronts again)

I love the Ryobi fan, thanks soloud! And the orange traffic cones. I'm new to trailer owning, so I love hearing from all you experienced haulers.

My state requires either flares or safety triangles. I have safety triangles.
    You could use the triangles in place of the cones to keep people from parking too close at shows/trail heads. They take up less room in the dressing room or under a truck seat than the cones do since they fold up and store in a box.
    http://www.autosportcatalog.com/road...angles-kit.cfm
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)