The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Must-Have Features for Your Horse Trailer

I like my Featherlite 2-horse PB straight-load with tack room just fine. It's big enough for my horse and horses slightly larger, as well. I got a great deal on it.

But it's hotter than stink here in Florida and one of my horse-riding friends insists that I need fans. Another has had trailer mishaps and swears that a trailer without camera is disaster waiting to happen.

I got screens to install in the windows but haven't done it yet. Bars are being recommended ... and the seals on the windows could use replacing anyway, so it's not a crazy idea ... but ...

What say you all? What are your favorite "extras" and did your trailer come equipped or did you have installed afterwards?

Thanks!!!
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

I had fans put on our new merhow. Love them. After a hot show or trail ride they put out some good extra air flowing in the trailer. Also will help if we ever get stuck in traffic. We have the trailer eyes camera system that we use in the barn so we can see the boys here at the house since my one guy got stall cast. On longer rides we can use it easily in the trailer because it's pretty simple to move around. Most of our rides are close to home but we have not had them for the past 14 years and have never had a problem. Usually you can feel if a horse falls from the drivers seat so I don't think they are a must have.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I won't buy another trailer without a drop down window on the head of the front slot again, that is for certain. I consider it my 4Star's main shortcoming. I'd prefer drop downs on the tail too but those are hard to find.

Am considering fans for the 4Star, but I did a lot of upgrades on both trailers this year so that's on the to-do list if I do it.

fans are pretty cheap especially if you can do the wiring yourself. I had fans and drop down windows put in my Merhow (along with alot of other nice to have goodies, since it will probably be the last trailer I buy).

The drop down windows with bars are fantastic, on short trips, I can leave the windows down, on long trips, I just leave them up and window open with the screens on. The fans were inexpensive (compared to the other goodies) and provide fantastic airflow especially if you have to leave the taildoors closed.

One other cheap must have item that I found out the hard way, get those velcro trailer ties. I forgot to unclip my horse before unloading. I should have known something was wrong when she looked at me funny before I asked her to unload. She unloaded anyways, like I asked and the velcro clip just unvelcroed and she came off the trailer fine. It was worth every penny of the $16 that I paid for it !!.

2 members found this post helpful.

I custom ordered a Hawk trailer earlier this year and am out here in northern CA where it can get pretty darn hot in the summers so I opted for roof vents, fans and screened sliding bus windows with bars on the outside to allow for plenty of air flow and ventilation. Number one reason I went with a Hawk though was for the fiberglass roof though which seems to keep the interior temps down much better than my friends trailers with all aluminum roofs. I may end up with an after market camera eventually as well as I think that could be beneficial on longer hauls.

Where did you get the fans, Rocky? I just might jump on that...

Saw some 12 volt fans yesterday at the Napa Auto Parts store, not expensive and designed for automotive electric systems. I think they were around $25, but I could be wrong. Almost bought one.

How much do the fans drain truck batteries? I'd love to put a couple in the tack room and possibly in the horse area for the occasional times a horse has to stand on the trailer. But it would not be fun or worthwhile if I went to start the truck and didn't have enough juice.

My trailer came with a corner water tank but I added a pump to it which makes a huge difference. I love that I can easily rinse my horse off if I'm some place that doesn't have wash racks.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

1 members found this post helpful.

Good floors, lights, 7 feet or taller and good airflow. Everything else is gravy

I have a fan in the dressing room, too. Makes a huge difference. Ordered that when I ordered the trailer. Also have the outlets in the dressing room for "travel" accessories...a small refrigerator/cooler, hair dryer, and the like. When I show out of my trailer, just tying up for the day, I use the outlets a lot.

Tie rings on both sides of the trailer in case you have to tie them all on one side. I came back to my trailer one time and someone had parked so close we had to tie all the horses on one side. Now I carry orange traffic cones and mark the no park zone. Non-horsey people don't realize how much room to give a truck and trailer, I guess.

3 members found this post helpful.

Saddleup: I love the orange cone idea. I have a side ramp and I am often appalled at how close people park. Sometimes I can't load or unload my horse.

I have an insulated trailer (Shadow). I was in a field in >100 degree heat for an event. I brought a small generator. I used the water from my water tank to keep the horse washed off. I used the trailer fans plus a few extra fans to keep him comfortable. He did great. Cool as a cucumber.

So, insulated trailer, water tank, and fans. I wish I had a fan in the dressing room. That is a good idea.

If you camp with your horse, a Hi-Tie system is fabulous. It costs $250-$300 but, for me, the convenience makes it so worth it compared to erecting electric or collapsible corrals (I've done both). Swing the Hi-Tie rod out, attach your lead-rope and you're done.
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    How much do the fans drain truck batteries? I'd love to put a couple in the tack room and possibly in the horse area for the occasional times a horse has to stand on the trailer. But it would not be fun or worthwhile if I went to start the truck and didn't have enough juice.

You get a battery for the trailer, for which you get a charger which you can plug in when you get home, or charge from the truck.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    You get a battery for the trailer, for which you get a charger which you can plug in when you get home, or charge from the truck.
    Big deep-cycle I'm guessing? Do you have an estimated running time for say, 2 small fans before re-charge?

I agree with the ceiling vents. I had a short rack of hooks welded in to attach my muck bucket to so it would not slide around.

Quote Originally Posted by deacon's mom View Post
    Saddleup: I love the orange cone idea. I have a side ramp and I am often appalled at how close people park. Sometimes I can't load or unload my horse.

I have an insulated trailer (Shadow). I was in a field in >100 degree heat for an event. I brought a small generator. I used the water from my water tank to keep the horse washed off. I used the trailer fans plus a few extra fans to keep him comfortable. He did great. Cool as a cucumber.

So, insulated trailer, water tank, and fans. I wish I had a fan in the dressing room. That is a good idea.
    I have a portable generator myself but it's noisy. A quiet one that is hardwired is on the wish list of possible-maybes for the future.

Thanks for great ideas. I'll investigate the fans. The tack room opens into the trailer so I could leverage fans.

The trailer does have a vent on top but I'm not sure it moves enough air. There are drop downs on either side of the fronts and screened bus windows along the sides and in the back. Not a problem to travel with the back top doors open, though.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

Those ceiling vents, are they worth it? I have a sunroof on my car (Subaru forester), and I fry in stalled traffic in the summer. Stupid sunroof seems to break the insulation effect of the rest of the roof, it gets hot to the touch (car is dark color too).

if you want to get really fancy, you can get the ceiling vents with the fans built in. I saw them in a dressing room of a Exiss trailer at Equine Affaire. It uses the square hole (vs the retangular hole that most 2 way vents have) but the guy there said it can be put in any trailer, you just have to have a hole cut into the roof and taped up.

I wish I ordered my trailer with a water tank under the gooseneck with small waterpump. But, now I am looking to have it installed. Something like this except maybe in 25 gallon tank. I have to measure the gooseneck area and see what will fit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Gallon-Fr...item2a24c612d2