The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Equine massage

Anyone have experience with having reiki done on your horse? Our new massage therapist came out to work on a few horses in our barn doing some minor adjustments as well as some massage work. When she got to my horse she pulled out a big stone and put it her. When I asked what she was doing, she said 'oh a bit of reiki.' She left the stone on for about 5 minutes. The rest of the treatment was massage and minor adjustments. I have no experience with reiki and probably would not have hired anyone to come do reiki on my horse. However, I like to think I am open minded to alternative treatments that may work. Anyone here had it done on their horse and did it work or next time should I just tell her to skip the reiki?

I'd be asking for an explanation of what the stone is supposed to do. If it's sounds like total BS (which, given the set up, it does) I'd be finding a new massager.

I can say that Reiki often uses stones. Reiki is based on energy movement, and your practitioner should be able to explain that in detail. Practically, if the stone is on your horse while the massage practitioner was working on your horse, at the most it can be a bonus, at the least it will do nothing while your masseuse works on your horse. But the person should be able to answer your questions and *how the treatment relates to your horse* in more detail than asking here. If your practitioner can't, find a new massage therapist.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

I do Reiki and have never heard of someone using a stone while doing it. That's a new one for me. It's mostly a hands-on modality, with the practitioner either having the hands directly on or just above the recipient.

Reiki is wonderful on animals. You can see them responding pretty quickly, and being animals, they're not judgmental (and don't ask "What's it supposed to feel like? I don't feel anything!).

I'm a Level 2 Reiki practitioner and I do incorporate that work, as well as acupressure, into some of my masages. It can be very effective and help the muscle work "take" better. Like pony baloney, above, I've never met anyone who incorporates stones as part of their Reiki practice, and neither master that I studied under did so.

I'm surprised at the apparent paucity of the practitioner's reponse, however. When a client questions me, I give a much more thorough answer (e.g., what chakra imbalance was being addressed, how the stone worked versus hands alone, etc., in the case described in the OP).
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

I had a husband and wife couple that woud come out for my horse. The husband would do acupressure and the wife would follow with Reiki. She never used stones.

Snidely hated massage, he tolerated being groomed. He LOVED this couple. He would start nickering when their Volvo started coming down the driveway. He was generally either aloof or nasty so he was not really the cuddly type. Not sure if it was the acupressure or Reiki or the combo that he liked. It worked so I was happy.

The wife would also do Reiki on the farm dog who had torn an ACL and had surgery.

Regretfully the couple kinda disappeared from the area. (Not that I remember their names anymore).
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Thanks for the replies. She did say that the stone (amethyst) was meant to help focus the healing energy and she held the stone in her hand on the wither area for about 4 or 5 minutes until my horse 'released' by yawning. She then put the stone away and continued with manual massage. She said that she thought my horse was particularly tender in that area and that she wanted to start with reiki in that spot, then the next time out she might tolerate manual manipulation in that area. She likened it to working in layers and being able to go deeper/do more with each visit.

Oh, she was probably using a chakra stone. Different colored stone for the different chakras, each represented by a certain color. I was picturing a basalt stone typically used for hot stone massage.

I highly recommend The Masterson Method--check out YouTube for how-to videos. You can do this on acupressure points/meridians and it's really effective and easy to do yourself. I bought his book and it was worth it.