The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    From South Louisiana and now in Lower Alabama

Talking Horse made me feel stupid - Any similar stories so I can feel better?

My old man (23 year old retired OTTB) became very lame last Thursday. He is always on and off (arthritic, thin soles, osselets, etc) but this was worse than normal. He is prone to abscesses so I start soaking.

Fast forward to Monday. After no improvement over the weekend, I go check on him before I leave for work. I can't find him in the pasture! Finally see a lump out in the back in the tall grass. I immediately run out there to check on him. In my mind, the calcification in his nasty fetlock was breaking apart, bones were crumbling, he couldn't walk, this was the end. I get out to him and he sits up, eats a few bites, lays back down. Grunting the whole time. Does this pattern over and over.

I go to work and was sick to my stomach thinking I was going to have to put him down. I called the LSU Vet School to make an appt and went home to get him. I am thinking about how am I going to get him on the trailer and everything else. He's up...only a slight limp. Well, appt was made so we were going!

Bring my lame horse to the vet school, he comes off trailer w/ barely a limp. Paces back and forth in the stall while waiting. I was definitely feeling relieved by this point and also feeling stupid for bringing a lame horse that wasn't really lame anymore!

Speak w/ the vet and he says it sounds like an abscess...which it does. I just had lost all ability to think straight and had convinced myself otherwise! By this point, my horse has decided it was time to show off. When they jogged him, he gave this beautiful floaty, moving out trot that I don't know if he ever gave me under saddle in his prime! The vet says "oh he has a lovely trot!" and I'm just shaking my head in disbelief.

So he takes a look, finds the abscess and digs it out. They soak it and wrap it and send me home. They were wonderful in helping me out and my bill was ridiculously small.

So all that stress and thinking I was going to have to say goodbye to my sweetheart and partner of 16 years FOR JUST AN ABSCESS! I've never been happier to have an abscess, that's for sure. Boy I felt stupid but so relieved. Better safe than sorry!!

Has anyone else had any moments like that? I really think he just wanted to go on a field trip since he stays at home while my greenie gets to go play at shows!

16 members found this post helpful.

I am glad it ended well! My first horse gave me a scare sort of like that. When he was young and I was competing him, I turned him out with a younger horse and they were playing. As I was watching, the young horse kicked out and got him square in the hock. I heard a sickening crack and my guy is immediately on 3 legs. I immediately go into panic mode, thinking his leg is broken and that is it. As someone went to call for help, I am doing nothing useful but standing there crying. Before anyone can get there, he manages to walk it off and is perfectly fine again. Don't feel stupid; you are just being a good mom. When you are emotionally attached and they get hurt, sometimes you just don't think clearly.

4 members found this post helpful.

Lol when I worked at a horse hospital one of the vets brought her horse in because he was acting colicky. Later that day the owner also a vet brought in his horse for the same thing, ADR mildly uncomfortable but not flopping. Both horses miraculously returned to normal the moment they got in their stalls...nice piles of manure, urine flowing, LOUD gut sounds in all quadrants etc. We spent the day teasing the vets that they should have told everyone it was bring your horse to work day

In a small animal hospital I worked at an owner called frantic about a rash on her puppies belly. She was worried it was contagious because she had a rash too. So we squeezed them in. Did the exam asked where the rash was and the owner pointed to the dogs nipples! When we told the owner that, she was surprised that dogs actually have nipples. The vet and I both tried not to laugh when we explained that yes, dogs do have nipples and that is where puppies eat from. Owner was shocked, completely surprised lol

7 members found this post helpful.

They have a way of making us feel stupid at times.
    There was a rider at our barn last week that kept saying her horse felt off. Numerous people watched, nothing could be seen. Same numerous people looked at legs and feet for swelling, soreness, etc.
    None of these people happened to notice that he was missing a shoe.
    He had just had his feet done, shoe pulled off cleanly, foot just looked nicely trimmed.
    Horse was going out to paddock and a non-horsey parent asks why he was going out with a missing shoe.

I will say this, my grandpaw also thought he was dying when he fed the horses this weekend! So I wasn't the only one...but that probably exacerbated my freak out.

I'm sick of these over-dramatic abscesses. My 'baby' (only in relation to the 23 y.o...he's 7!) had a dramatic abscess a couple of weeks ago too...he was about to go on the trailer as well but it popped out his coronary by the time I got home. They have been some big ol' babies this summer!

Quote Originally Posted by Chachie View Post
    Lol when I worked at a horse hospital one of the vets brought her horse in because he was acting colicky. Later that day the owner also a vet brought in his horse for the same thing, ADR mildly uncomfortable but not flopping. Both horses miraculously returned to normal the moment they got in their stalls...nice piles of manure, urine flowing, LOUD gut sounds in all quadrants etc. We spent the day teasing the vets that they should have told everyone it was bring your horse to work day

In a small animal hospital I worked at an owner called frantic about a rash on her puppies belly. She was worried it was contagious because she had a rash too. So we squeezed them in. Did the exam asked where the rash was and the owner pointed to the dogs nipples! When we told the owner that, she was surprised that dogs actually have nipples. The vet and I both tried not to laugh when we explained that yes, dogs do have nipples and that is where puppies eat from. Owner was shocked, completely surprised lol
    Along the same lines, when I was in college (yes college!) I freaked out one day when grooming my horse because I found a "tumor" underneath her belly.

I went running to my trainer OMGing. She examined it, then smacked me on the back of my head and said "That's your horse's BELLY BUTTON you moron!"

Yeah, I'm special.

8 members found this post helpful.

A woman I knew some years ago ( a medical doctor!) had an older Norwegian Elkhound. She came home from work one day, dog couldn't get up. She picked him up, rushed him to vet, prepared for the worst. Vet rooted around through all his fur, wiggled something and dog stood up. He had gotten his dewclaw caught in one of the holes on his collar...........
    Yes they can all make us feel stupid.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm sure we all know of the Concerned Individual rushing up to the barn or house to tell you all about your Dead Horse - the one lying flat out in the sun, blissfully asleep - oh, THAT dead horse . . .
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Thanks, everyone, for making me feel better. I know it happens to all of us!

Here's a pic of him telling me "OMG I'M DYING!!! j/k, it's an abscess."

http://s687.photobucket.com/user/BBM...7c123.jpg.html

And here's a picture of his chart at the vet school. He's been a few times over the years LOL

http://s687.photobucket.com/user/BBM...8dacb.jpg.html

Hey! I know you

And my horse makes me feel stupid every day. He's much smarter than me.

1 members found this post helpful.

I was lying in bed this morning just waking up, local radio going as usual...

I hear "A chestnut and a bay horse have just been found wandering in Silver Creek. XYZ has them in her pasture."

Talk about out of bed and down the stairs in 3 seconds... To two horses, a chestnut and a bay, peering at me out of their pasture going "What? What's up, mom?"

I have one horse who takes his afternoon naps very seriously. So much so that more than one BO/BM have gone out in a panic thinking he was dead.

My mare gave me a scare just last week. Came out of her stall 4/5 lame after being sound the night before. No heat or swelling anywhere, foot sensitive in one quarter On that alone, I'm thinking abscess. I call my vet; he agrees, it's an abscess, so soak, etc. That was Tuesday. By Thursday morning when I arrive to feed, mare has swelling above the fetlock with perhaps a tick of heat. Great, so now I'm thinking tendon.

Called the vet. Vet still thinks it's an abscess, but says to cold hose and poultice tendon in addition to soaking the foot. Sure enough, by Thursday night, I could see the abscess bulging at the coronary band. By Friday morning, it had burst,mare was almost completely sound, swelling in the tendon sheath was markedly better. By Monday, mare looks like she was never lame at all, tendon is cold and hard, abscess is draining away. I knew an abscess COULD cause swelling of the tendon sheath, etc...but I hadn't seen it before. I think my vet secretly thinks I'm a spaz...

Quote Originally Posted by Chachie View Post
    So did she show you her rash too
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

Quote Originally Posted by HenryisBlaisin' View Post
    I have one horse who takes his afternoon naps very seriously. So much so that more than one BO/BM have gone out in a panic thinking he was dead.

My mare gave me a scare just last week. Came out of her stall 4/5 lame after being sound the night before. No heat or swelling anywhere, foot sensitive in one quarter On that alone, I'm thinking abscess. I call my vet; he agrees, it's an abscess, so soak, etc. That was Tuesday. By Thursday morning when I arrive to feed, mare has swelling above the fetlock with perhaps a tick of heat. Great, so now I'm thinking tendon.

Called the vet. Vet still thinks it's an abscess, but says to cold hose and poultice tendon in addition to soaking the foot. Sure enough, by Thursday night, I could see the abscess bulging at the coronary band. By Friday morning, it had burst,mare was almost completely sound, swelling in the tendon sheath was markedly better. By Monday, mare looks like she was never lame at all, tendon is cold and hard, abscess is draining away. I knew an abscess COULD cause swelling of the tendon sheath, etc...but I hadn't seen it before. I think my vet secretly thinks I'm a spaz...
    This is what my other one did a few weeks ago! I'd never seen swelling like that for an abscess before in the many that my old man had. During the day, I decide on a plan of attack only to get him and have an abscess popped out the coronary band. Perfectly sound a couple days later.

It's been a dramatic abscess month for me! lol

Their job is to make us feel dumb and humble. One day I trailered my horse 40 minutes to a jump lesson. Fantastic ride, good boy, we both came away totally pleased, ready to take on anything. After the lesson, I loaded him up, took him home, took him off the trailer to find him on 3 legs. LH completely broken, non-weight-bearing...Surely I will have to put him down TODAY, he was so crippled. Called my vet who is also my best friend who also bred and raised the horse till she gave him to me as a 3 year old. She dropped everything and came immediately, dragging her new intern along with her. I pulled the poor-soon-to- be-dead-beast from his stall and hobbled him out to the driveway. I jogged him 3 steps. They shouted OK OK OK, STOP!! As I was walking back toward them, Vet said to Intern, "So, do you think that nail sticking out of his heel could have anything to do with his being so lame?" Good grief, I nearly died...
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

3 members found this post helpful.

Many years ago I moved my gelding to a roughboard situation, my first time boarding out 24/7. When we arrived at the place and unloaded him, the BO indicated that I could turn him out on a 20 acre patch with a group of 5 mares. He thought he'd died and went to heaven and forgot who I was settling in immediately.

7am next morning I get a (less panicked than one would typically think) call from the BO that my horse is down in the back of the paddock and isn't showing any inclination of getting up for breakfast despite being called a few times. I flew directly from my bed to my truck, didn't even put shoes on, and literally left a rubber mark on the driveway I peeled out so fast.

Get to the barn (5 min) and see my horse down waaaaaay at the far back corner of the pasture with all the other mares standing around him.. I RAN for all I was worth screaming my horse's name, stepping barefoot in mud and manure piles, boyfriend trailing behind. Tears starting to stream down my cheeks, EVERY conceivable horror scene flashing in my mind, fully expecting I'd be putting my beloved heart-horse down this morning.

I get to my horse. He is laying flat out. Sits up a bit when I get down and start touching him, but never does get up. I check him from nose to tail but can't find anything at all wrong. I keep going over and over him looking for ANY reason why this horse is laying down and refusing to get up. He just sits there looking totally comfortable with this "what are you doing mom?" look on his face.

I put my (slimy gross) foot on his rump and jiggle him, saying "get up" but he just gives me the ears back like "lady, I'm comfortable, I'm not going anywhere."

Totally puzzled, I start looking around for sign of a struggle or broken fence, anything, when I notice all the mares still hanging around ... all looking extremely sleepy and relaxed. Then my guy gives a deep chortle to the closest mare, and soft nickers are returned from the group. And it dawned on me...

I looked at my horse and said "you banged yourself to death didn't you?!?"

My boyfriend said "wha?" and I explained, my horse had stayed up all night "getting to know" his each individual of his new harem and he's just plumb exhausted.

After making completely sure there really was nothing wrong, I got to do the walk of shame back to the barn, to what had become a small crowd of barn rats and boarders (and healthy does of small children) at the gate and explain to everyone that my boy was just reeeeeeeally happy to be here and was sooo tired from getting to know his new "friends". Making a great first impression on everyone, in my pjs spattered with mud and manure.

He actually became obsessive over this harem of his, to the point of becoming a problem. The barn changed hands after only 2 months of us being there and so I took the opportunity to move. Poor boy moved only a few miles to a new barn, and stood in his new paddock, pressed against the fence, nose pointed at the old place and cried for his ladies for 3 days. I thought he'd never forgive me and I never turned him out with mares again.
    Last edited by buck22; Aug. 22, 2013 at 05:57 PM. Reason: brevity - at least I tried :P
    “Let today be the day you stop being haunted by the ghosts from your past. What happened in the past is just one chapter in your story; don’t close the book, just turn the page.”

6 members found this post helpful.

oh my gosh buck22....that's hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by King Creole View Post
    Thanks, everyone, for making me feel better. I know it happens to all of us!

Here's a pic of him telling me "OMG I'M DYING!!! j/k, it's an abscess."

http://s687.photobucket.com/user/BBM...7c123.jpg.html

And here's a picture of his chart at the vet school. He's been a few times over the years LOL

http://s687.photobucket.com/user/BBM...8dacb.jpg.html
    That first picture was awesome My gelding is a total drama queen as well.

I got a call from a trainer at the barn that I needed to come out and check on my old guy. Something was seriously wrong with him, there was swelling in the neck or head or somewhere. I made the long drive back to the barn. Put my fingers in his mouth and popped a horse cookie out of each cheek. He hides them in there like a squirrel and pops them out when he wants a snack.

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsperson View Post
    I got a call from a trainer at the barn that I needed to come out and check on my old guy. Something was seriously wrong with him, there was swelling in the neck or head or somewhere. I made the long drive back to the barn. Put my fingers in his mouth and popped a horse cookie out of each cheek. He hides them in there like a squirrel and pops them out when he wants a snack.
    LOL