The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I will donate this beautiful off the track 11 y.o Thoroughbred named “Malanato”

CHESTNUT THOROUGHBRED INCLUDES ALL TACK
    LOCATED ON RIVER ROAD IN NEW ORLEANS
    WITH 2 SADDLES, BRIDLE AND CLOSET OF SUPPLIES
    504-250-7115 brian.opert@gmail.com
    This is a beautiful off the track 11 y.o Thoroughbred named “Malanato”, retired from Fairgrounds at age 3. Stands 16.5 hands – he’s a big guy. He has a tattoo so papers from The Jockey Club and other pedigree info with links are below. He’s sweet and playful, obedient and willing. He's very athletic, smart and eager to work. He is gentle and easy to work with. He has very smooth transitions and is a beautiful mover. He is very intelligent, alert, and a big and beautiful horse. He is Western (neck) trained, as well as rides English. He has been custom shoed but is now barefoot. Gorgeous to watch. He has a lot to give and is just your all around dream horse! Current negative coggins, up to date on shots, wormer, teeth, and feet. Floated late last year. He stands for farrier, clips, loads and bathes well. Great appetite. Fed 14% feed and hay 3x a day. Monthly de-worming routine. Very well cared for. Selling due to my age – regretfully it’s time to hang up my spurs!
    Included is the following inventory:
    • Light brown Western Saddle by Colorado Saddlery – 16” seat – complete set-up
    • Light brown lightweight Western Saddle – leather and synthetic – 16” seat - about 25 lbs – with fleece padded seat (can be used on other saddle
    • Western bridle set
    • Rope halter
    • Fabric halter
    • Large and small synthetic saddle bags
    • Longe lead and buggy whip
    • Wheeled saddle stand
    • Insulated Air ride oversized blanket and other blanket
    • High withers support cushions
    • Treats, meds, fly-spray, shampoo and everything in the supply closet included
    • All gear in very good condition
    We are motivated! More photos available. Available for inspection by appointment anytime. Buyer to arrange for delivery. New owners will be carefully screened.

Does this ad sounds a little too good to be true, to anyone else?

2 members found this post helpful.

This is very clearly a sales ad. I'm surprised it made it past the mods and I'm reporting it.

I stopped reading when I got to 16.5 hands.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

11 members found this post helpful.

The horse is for sale elsewhere for $3500. Though I bet if you give him a Cashier's cheque he the owner will double your money, once the product...er horse...
    Is delivered...

I'm not saying it's a bogus ad, but here is a sales link: http://www.equine.com/horses-for-sal...d-2969452.html
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Never mind... I'm seeing things.

This is actually on the up and up. The owner is a NOLA radio personality. He wants to donate the horse to a non-profit therapeutic riding program. But the horse is also listed for sale elsewhere. The horse looks very nice and obviously has had the best of everything.

1 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

In that case, if he is not wedded to Louisiana, he might contact Rainbow Farms in Vicksburg, MS, which is a therapeutic riding program that does sell unsuitable horses that are donated to it. But the owner, who is a peach, always makes sure that the buyers are suitable. The owner has many, many years of working with donations, so knows well all the paperwork involved.

She's also a bit of a sucker for mini rescues, both horse and donkey, and qualified in driving for the AQHA World Show this year.

If the OP would like her contact information,

Quote Originally Posted by Weighaton View Post
    This is actually on the up and up. The owner is a NOLA radio personality. He wants to donate the horse to a non-profit therapeutic riding program. But the horse is also listed for sale elsewhere. The horse looks very nice and obviously has had the best of everything.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I saw after two months that this horse had not been placed or sold. I contacted the owner and went to see the horse. He is by far the sweetest horse I have ever met. Gentle and kind, respectful of your space which was great since he was clearly 16.3 - 17 hands. I had my daughter ride him and he was quiet and responsive. So quiet that for a bit I thought he might be on something.

He is an OTTB with a crystal clear lip tattoo. He has bounced around a lot since coming off the track. He foundered severely about 18 months ago. Thankfully the vet who treated him was very kind and forthcoming in regards to the horse. And enlightened me about many things. All good. I told the vet it didn't matter if the horse stayed sound or not.

Bottom line I offered to take him. I really do not like the boarding stables in New Orleans as there is no turnout, no grass, just dark stalls and a dirt ring. The person who currently has the horse no longer rides and this horse is just sitting. The gelding is coming here to live out his days with our other Giveaways gelding, Zippo Ringo.

This is a good forum and has helped quite a few horses land in just the right spot.

7 members found this post helpful.

Well, that's great news! We would love to see pictures!

Here is a video the owner made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6arIh8z5Bo

What a sweet boy! Congratulations. He's beautiful.

I cannot tell you how great weighaton is! She took the old quarter horse, whose full name I never knew, Zippo Ringo, when someone on Coth posted the giveaway ad for ridicule. 2jakes deserves the credit for then emailing me and telling me about Zippo. I emailed the owner, and told her about Coth. She posted the horse, although I had misgivings and had told her to euth him since she was leaving the state.

Well weighaton took him, and omg, how old is the old man now? And he had cushings, didn't he? And he's moved from north GA to hot and humid Louisiana, and he's done so well. Those pix that weighaton posted of him a while back with the kids were great!

So this horse is going to have a happy home as does Zippo Ringo!

Zippo Ringo will be 30 years old in March. He is no longer on any medication or supplements. He does not eat senior feed. He eats Strategy HE just like all the other horses. He is ridden lightly almost everyday. WT and C. He is turned out 24/7 but can come inside if he wants. He is barefoot and is trimmed regularly. He has been an awesome horse and I hope we have him for awhile longer.

This is the latest picture of him taken this summer.
    http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/...psdc3ae1ac.jpg

I think that Malanato will be happy here. He seems like a really nice horse.

He looks great!!

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate it. Also I wanted to clarify that I did not offer to buy the horse but just offered him a good home which the owner agreed might be the best thing for him. So it worked out great. I don't think that I will ever buy a horse again. There are so many out there that just need a good home. We will continue to take in one or two at a time until we can't do it anymore.

Thanks weighaton! You should be cloned. I would do the same if I had a farm.

Default He has arrived!!Pictures added

What a beautiful sweet boy. No problems loading on the trailer in NOLA on the levee!! He did great on the ride home. His owner did such a good job with him. He still needs to put on about 150lbs but he looks good.

He was eating Crossroads All Stock which just is not going to work for him. We feed Strategy HE and everyone does great on that. I need to slowly transition him. Do I need to worry about his hay intake due to his past founder issues? We feed grass hay in the winter but we feed as much as they can eat. At the stable he just left it was only twice a day. Should I be concerned? He is in a large dry paddock for now while he settles in.

Thanks for any tips.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2c7ba6e4.jpg

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/...psbf13807b.jpg

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1f2613d3.jpg

No one asked about the strange letters? What was that all about?