The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What is the Cost of Training Worth to You?

I'm stuck between a rock and hard place in regards to training. In no way is more horse too much horse for me, we consistently ride through her issues, but she does have some issues that could use the help of the professional. Or at least I'd appreciate it.

My boarding facility just joined up with a trainer who lives on site. I already pay $350 for board. Today I asked him what he would charge for say, what we agreed on was a 30 day tune up. His price, $550 for a month.

At that price he is, literally, one of the most expensive trainers I've come across, no matter where I've lived despite the discipline. I am sure that she and I can work through the issues with more riding, I've trained horses successfully in the past.

I guess it's hard for me to wrap my mind around paying $900 for a month of training. Especially on a horse anyone can already ride, and I almost always ride bareback and in her halter.

Yeah, that is spendy. I guess the difference is he doesn't have his own barn. The most I've paid for training and board was $675.00, but there is another barn here that charges $735.00 for full training and board. I recently used a guy that came to the barn and rode my horse for one hour once a week and he charged thirty bucks a ride. That would be way too expensive to do several days a week for a prolonged period. Too expensive for me, I'd look for a training barn instead.

whiskey is offline Training Level
    Original Poster

This trainer's barn is my barn! I'm hoping the price he gave me was including board and going to ask him. I'm sure my sudden departure of that's much too costly right now might have made him think and he may be used to giving quotes on how much it would be to have the horses THERE at the barn I'm at.

-- I'm hoping. Because I could afford $550 for board and training.

Oh, I see. Yes it makes sense that he was quoting the cost of board and training.

Full board and training around us runs around $850-$1050.

1 members found this post helpful.

I've always paid between $650 and 1K a month for training (total price, including board)

The $650 -$750 range were all really young or brand new guys trying to get a business started, or people who have a 9-5 job and a couple horses they work on the side. $850-1K got you more of a reputation and experience. 1K+ for specialized training with really good people.

$900 being especially expensive for training is a bit mind-blowing for me.

4 members found this post helpful.

$900 month is the cheapest I know of around here...for someone who really does know what they are doing.

2 members found this post helpful.

To me that would be on the low end and worth it if he's good. My trainer charges $800 for full training plus board, so $1600 total. My horse isn't in full training but based on the progress of her clients who are she is certainly worth every penny of that. One of her clients who is also a pro and very good but younger and less experienced charges about $500 plus board so total I believe she comes to $900 - $1050 depending on what type of board you go with. In my area for my discipline somewhere between these two is the typical charge.

You have to decide if it's really worth it for you though. The trainers I listed above work primarily with people who are what I would call "serious amateurs" - super dedicated and out to compete and do really well. If you mainly ride bareback in the halter I'm assuming you're not competing regularly/seriously so it may not be worth it. Look at what you want to get out of it and decide if your horse really does need it. If the trainer can help make your rides significantly more enjoyable I'd say it's worth it. If it'll just be giving the horse skills that you won't really take advantage of it probably isn't.

Wow, those are hefty prices!!!!

Here, monthly board and basic training is $600, special training for a discipline, showing, reining, $800, roping, cutting, because of the cattle charge, $1000+.

Yes, that is what trainers have to charge and it is tight for them as it is, none are getting rich off training, it is the sales and winning money competing that tides them over into some profit.

Full training here (5 days a week) is $950 and board is $850. You're getting a deal!

Just google any one discipline in your area, find those trainer's web pages and you can see what they charge under "services".

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    Wow, those are hefty prices!!!!
    well, 23 years ago we were paying $550 plus expenses,

I paid $1800 plus expenses for a trainer to make his reputation on my horse.

This is interesting. I had three people ask me to train their horses for them this year. The funny thing is, not only did I decline because I don't have time, and I want to maintain my amateur status, but also I realized that if I WERE willing to do it, I couldn't possibly charge as much as my time would be worth to me.

This thread brings this into stark relief if you think about it... If $550 is for a month, how many days a week are you expecting your horse to be worked? If it's 5 days a week, and a standard 4.5 week month, that's effectively $24.44 a day. That includes twenty minutes to half an hour grooming/tacking, and ground work, half an hour cleaning up after the ride (or paying someone else to do it for them)... and perhaps an hour in the saddle in between. So you are talking perhaps $12.22 an hour. Anyone worth their salt wouldn't be able to do it for that little. That seems incredibly cheap to me.

13 members found this post helpful.

I wouldn't expect to pay less than $1000 per month for full training board! Just board at a reputable barn is $475-700 per month, so I would expect to pay at least double that to include training.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kayteedee View Post
    This is interesting. I had three people ask me to train their horses for them this year. The funny thing is, not only did I decline because I don't have time, and I want to maintain my amateur status, but also I realized that if I WERE willing to do it, I couldn't possibly charge as much as my time would be worth to me.

This thread brings this into stark relief if you think about it... If $550 is for a month, how many days a week are you expecting your horse to be worked? If it's 5 days a week, and a standard 4.5 week month, that's effectively $24.44 a day. That includes twenty minutes to half an hour grooming/tacking, and ground work, half an hour cleaning up after the ride (or paying someone else to do it for them)... and perhaps an hour in the saddle in between. So you are talking perhaps $12.22 an hour. Anyone worth their salt wouldn't be able to do it for that little. That seems incredibly cheap to me.
    Right.

I usually send my horses to a trainer outside Philly in a pretty affluent horse area. I paid $650 two years ago and am paying $750 this year.

Last year, I kept my horse that was in training in Michigan. The least expensive quote I got with an experienced dressage trainer was $900. One was well worth it. The other had no clue how to train young horses, and it showed.

I no longer think the $750 is expensive, as I get excellent quality training with someone I respect. She works him five to six days a week. I feel very fortunate to have found her. She has also purchased four horses that I bred, and two clients of hers purchased two horses from me, so it has been a mutually beneficial relationship! :-)
    Mary/New Horizons Haflinger Sport Horses
    Standing Stellar TVR, lifetime licensed with WE, RPSI, AWS, AHR
    www.newhorizonshaflingers.com
    www.facebook.com/NewHorizonsHaflingers

What is the trainer going to do for $550?

If he works the horse for one hour a day for 25 days that works out to $27.50/hr. Not chicken feed, but not a king's ransom either.

Does the trainer do their own grooming and tack up or do they have a groom? If the latter, then substract a fee for the groom.

If the trainer is self-employed remember that the first 15.3% of their income goes to Uncle Sugar for Social Security. Then there all the other taxes our various levels of government (Federal, stale, local) can levy.

What does the trainer pay, if anything, to the barn owner?

Frankly, $550/mo. is about average for most areas of the country I'm familiar with.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

The cheapest I've ever paid for training board was $600 (including board). The most expensive, and this would have been dressage training (as opposed to general training) with a BNT with all her medals was $1500.

I think if your trainer is good that's a decent price for it.

ETA: What's it worth to me. I'm broke all the time and drive an old Tahoe with 290K miles on it, but any little bit of money comes my way goes into lessons or training depending on my need. My trainer will take 1/2 training from me too and ride Fella 3 times a week instead of 6 or some such accommodation.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).