The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Something to help scar tissue heal?

So, I remember vaguely a couple of discussions here about some unusual creams, balms, etc, that really seemed to help heal scar tissue, but I didn't have much luck finding them, I'm afraid.

Can anyone make any suggestions? It's sad, but it's for my sister, who's having a mastectomy today, and I half-jokingly suggested "Bag Balm," but I'm sure there's something better out there.

Our mother suggested "Bio-Oil" which she'd read about somewhere(in the UK), and I googled that, but it's either the next best thing, or the next worst thing, ugh!

Thanks so much; it's been a tough day, and I thought I'd ask here, so she has something cheerful to wake up to, and/or I can add it to a care package.

I would think that if she is having drastic surgery, you leave her wound medicating to her surgeon and physician.

The first rule is "Do no harm".
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

1 members found this post helpful.

After any/all incisions have new skin growing back in, then use Mederma. You can find it at most drug stores, and at Wal-Mart. I used it after my open heart surgery, on my mid-sternum incision. You must wait until incisions have healed to a certain point. It is pricey, but is very soothing, and I believe worked well. I used it for several months. Another good option is liquid vitamin E, or just pierce a vitamin E gelcap and drizzle over the owie. Best of luck to your Sister.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Cosmetic grade emu oil is really good for scars and what worked really well for my 2 friends after their mastectomies. But only after they were completely healed to reduce the scars. You can get it online or at just about any health food store. Hugs to your sister.