The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by pony baloney View Post
    Sorry if someone posted this one already; I didn't read all of them.

When I tell a non-horse person that my Arab is 28 years old, they always ask "Well how long do they live for?" If I had $1 for every time someone asked that, well, I'd have a lot of dollars.
    I haven't met a single non-horse person who didn't ask me how long do horses live.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

3 members found this post helpful.

"Why are you having foals next year? You already have horses." Said my neighbor to myself (a breeder). This comment has been made about half a dozen times over the last thirteen or so years. :-)
    Mary/New Horizons Haflinger Sport Horses
    Standing Stellar TVR, lifetime licensed with WE, RPSI, AWS, AHR
    www.newhorizonshaflingers.com
    www.facebook.com/NewHorizonsHaflingers

Weedling instead of weanling!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

1 members found this post helpful.

From my DH who should know better- "She dumped me."

Me- "No, she didn't. I saw it, you just fell off."

DH doesn't ride well at all, which is why I had bought that particular horse for him- she didn't have the ambition to "dump" anybody.

oh I forgot along with the being dumped/ "bucked"/ etc

IT'S FREAKING OUT!!!! usually shaking off a fly/ looking at something

Of course there was that one time my boyfriend started yelping for help because my horse was "freaking out" and I was like "it's ok just let her....." only to turn around and see her shaking her head rearing about halfway up and leaping sideways repeatedly.... I guess for once a beginner really had it right...

I was laying in bed and recalled two more good ones but can only remember one right now

I once had a girl ask me if pinto's were called native american horses now or if they were still called indian ponies... and she was dead serious and thought all paint looking horses were the same "breed", I explained that there was a Paint horse breed registry and that pinto was a color that many breeds came in. (I really really wanted to go into genetics but refrained) Ironically the horses we were looking at are not named paints nor pintos but "spotted" saddle horses.

If I had a nickel for every time someone asked me when my 10.2HH pony was going to "grow up" I'd be rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Niennor View Post
    I haven't met a single non-horse person who didn't ask me how long do horses live.
    I forgot that one - I was just asked that yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Niennor View Post
    OMG I think I get this question at least once a month from my in-laws. You'd think they'd remember the answer by now!

And then whenever they catch wind that my pony misbehaved, or hurt himself, or whatever, it's: "Why don't you just sell that horse and get another one?"

UGH.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

It doesn't seem like most of these questions/comments are meant in bad spirit, they are just questions from people that don't know. Why is it so awful if someone with no horse experience asks how long a horse lives? Most people have not heard of many breeds, so maybe they ask if you have an Arabian or Thoroughbred because those are the only two breeds they know.

Now, I do think if the person asking/commenting is passing themselves off as a professional, it is a different story. But I don't see what is wrong with many of the questions/comments people have posted about. Have you never asked a question about something about which you knew nothing? How else can anyone learn?

I'm with andreab. I have a good friend who knows nothing about horses but has taken me to barns to just see some horses when I was unable to ride and had no transportation. He is an intelligent person and has asked me LOTS of questions about the horses (including was the big [WB-looking] one an Arabian because it was grey). To me that showed his interest in me and in something I obviously care about very much. Yeah, some of his questions have been cute, funny, but they're also obviously attempts to learn, and to try to get it right!

I think my favorite comment from a non-horsey SO (not this guy but from someone I read about online, maybe here on COTH) is the one someone's DH made about his wife who rides h/j "This year we're going in the Amateur Hunter-Gatherer division." I just think that is such a good attempt to get it right .
    Last edited by Wellspotted; Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:53 AM.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

I don't think this thread was meant to be mean-spirited. I saw it as sort of a "Stuff white people like" type of thing.

Yeah nobody's ripping heads off here, it's all in good fun.

And the non horse people sometimes learn something too. Like once i explained to my friend and coworker that white horses are actually called grey, and explained why. So now everytime someone says i got a white horse she corrects them and says "No, you don0t call horses white, you call them... wait... i got it... grey!"
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

I get a teeny bit offended when someone asks how long a horse lives for when they hear how old mine is. I mean, if their grandmother was 96, I wouldn't ask the same question. "Gee, won't she be dying soon??"

5 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, there is nothing mean spirited in these answers...it gets annoying to be asked what seems like silly questions over and over, but I don't think people are being mean. My husband used to be commercial diver and whenever someone found that out they would ALWAYS ask, "How deep do you go?", and then they would follow it up with,, "Have you ever seen sharks?"....we still laugh about it. It was so predictable. So whenever I say I have a 33 year old mare people predictable ask, "How old do they live?"...I always answer kindly .

Quote Originally Posted by Texarkana View Post
    I guess I'm weird, but I really hate talking about horses with non-horse people. I don't even mention I own horses unless it's somehow relevant to the conversation. Mainly because I can't deal with the topics that arise like:

"How much did you pay for your horses?"
    "My cousin's ex wife's brother's neighbor had a horse and he died because..." (fill in the blank with a story of complete ignorance)
    "What do you mean you have to feed your horses? Don't they eat grass?"
    "I rode a horse once. The SOB threw me off..."
    OH yes! This! A thousand times this!
    It has always just annoyed me. But I guess that is why some people say horse folks are snobs.
    Not snobbery just can't stand answering stupid questions, and listening to dumb comments.
    Everyone you meet says I had a horse once it "Bucked me" What the??
    I think someone should compile a list of all the comments! LOL
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

On the flipside, I don't even like talking to horse people off the bat because so many of them really ARE snobs. One of the first question they ask is "What do you ride?"...I always interpret that to mean discipline or breed....which is a funny question for me, since I do a bit of this and that, and have 7 horses, 6 different breeds, which makes me sound like a collector. I've also heard, "Who do you ride with?" which is pretty uppity to me, since not everyone has a riding instructor....I would never ask that unless I knew they had a coach or instructor. I work with a WP woman who trains and shows in the upper levels and she looks at me like I'm a whackadoodle, and I certainly couldn't know a damn thing since I don't show. Whatever. So, it really goes both ways.

ETA: I don't mean everyone, but there are a lot of them out there!
    Last edited by hundredacres; Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    On the flipside, I don't even like talking to horse people off the bat because so many of them really ARE snobs. One of the first question they ask is "What do you ride?"
    While there certainly ARE snobs and people with odd notions in every aspect of society (and it sounds like you ran into one with the WP person, hundredacres!). But when I meet another horse owner, honestly, "what do you ride?", referring to breed or discipline, is often the first thing out of my mouth. I mean it as just an ice-breaker and the start of additional horse-related conversation, not a judgement. "Who do you ride with?", likewise, I'd read as an effort to find some common ground, or possibly just to gain information, not automatically judgemental.

What happens AFTER those questions may lead to a snob/loony/weirdo label being attached to the questioner! Buta label of possible show buddy/knows good trainer/cool person in new discipline might also be applied ... nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Looking at the "bucked off" comments, well, yeah, I've also heard that from non-horse people when they learn I have horses. But to be fair, to a non-rider who falls, what they know is that the horse was moving in a way they weren't able to follow and they hit the ground. Some of those bucking-offs might be honest misinterpretations of events by someone without the experience to distinguish.

And that happens even with horse people; I've seen plenty of "bolts" that were just a horse getting strong. And the slightest elevation of the front feet from the ground in a resistant manner makes my hindbrain scream "ack! rear!" even though I logically know that is NOT what's happening.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    On the flipside, I don't even like talking to horse people off the bat because so many of them really ARE snobs. One of the first question they ask is "What do you ride?"...I always interpret that to mean discipline or breed....which is a funny question for me, since I do a bit of this and that, and have 7 horses, 6 different breeds, which makes me sound like a collector. I've also heard, "Who do you ride with?" which is pretty uppity to me, since not everyone has a riding instructor....I would never ask that unless I knew they had a coach or instructor. I work with a WP woman who trains and shows in the upper levels and she looks at me like I'm a whackadoodle, and I certainly couldn't know a damn thing since I don't show. Whatever. So, it really goes both ways.

ETA: I don't mean everyone, but there are a lot of them out there!
    Very true.. so many practice the art of Oneupsmanship! LOL
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I was talking with a different non-horsey friend yesterday and he started to ask about different breeds. We had only gotten as far as Standardbred before we both had to leave, but we are planning to take up where we left off next time we hang out together.

I was really glad of the conversation because it made me dig deep into my memory to explain to him the name "Standardbred" (and later on last night I checked myself online! and was right!). I don't know why he started off asking about Standardbreds but I was glad it was a breed I knew something about (not much, but enough to answer his questions). Next time we are going to move on to Morgans.

We also talked a bit about gaits and why some horses are called "gaited" when all horses have gaits, and we both ended up laughing at my attempts to demonstrate a rack, running walk, and pace. When we have more time I will youtube them for him.

I love talking horses with people who love horses, whether they know anything about these wonderful creatures or not. (Depending, of course, on the person's attitude ).
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique