The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

My dear friend in college used to always ask me, quite earnestly, when I came back from a show: "Did you win the race?"

Same person also referred to an Appaloosa as "the ugliest horse I've ever seen."

1 members found this post helpful.

Ah, yes, the lessons! I think we've all heard that. I stopped referring to lessons. Instead, I "have a session with my coach." Many non-horsey people have serious sports hobbies or know someone else who does ... there are coaches for tennis, golf, etc. Knowing I compete, the coach concept seems to make more intuitive sense to them than "lessons."
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

3 members found this post helpful.

Thoroughbred horses of almost any breed (Meaning purebred).
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

5 members found this post helpful.

I once couldn't find my way out of a conversation with a woman who insisted on arguing with me about my horse being an Arabian. She was right, I was wrong, all white horses with little spots on them (flea-bitten grey) are Arabians, she knew he was an Arabian because of his color, whomever sold me the horse lied to me, I obviously didn't know my horse was an Arabian, this b!tch followed me all over the park and even started down the trail head after me when I was trying to ride away from her arguing with me that my horse was an Arabian.

So my horse was an Arabian. My grey, gaited, jug-headed, thick bodied, plug-ugly, nondescript, hard pacing when he was in a bad mood, supposedly a Tennessee Walker but very obviously at least part Standardbred horse was clearly AN ARABIAN. I swear I've never wanted to punch a non-horse person in the throat for an off observation about my horse like I did that woman. She just wouldn't let it go.

17 members found this post helpful.

I have two!
    "You're letting my daughter ride a pony? How dangerous! Wouldn't she be safer on a horse, not a baby pony? I'd like her on something experienced!!" This one was from a mother taking her kid to her first riding lesson. It took a few minutes to explain that the pony she was riding was 20 years old, and quite the veteran.

The next one was from this lady who came with her husband/boyfriend/whatever for a riding lesson when they were on vacation. Neither of them had ridden before, and both were total hippies (I adored them!). Right before I helped the woman get on the horse she pressed her forehead against the horse's, then looked at me, crying tears of joy (literally) and said "He has the most wonderful chakras I've ever come across. How on earth do you get them this at peace with the universe?"

29 members found this post helpful.

My soon to be horsey niece is 2.5 years old..... Sister took her to the county fair last week and walked through the draft barn where the horses are mostly in tie stalls iwth hindquarters facing out into the aisleway....

Niece says:

"It's their butts! They're waving at me!"

4 members found this post helpful.

When I was looking for an upper level dressage horse my well-intentioned friend told me I didn't need to spend more than $500 because her boss got a horse for that much.

An old friend of mine, now dead, used to wax rhapsodic about a "huge Bergeron" he once saw whenever he was ran into me or another horsey friend while drunk. All I could figure was that our drunken friend, an English major, was thinking of the Kurt Vonnegut short story.

Quote Originally Posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post

So my horse was an Arabian. My grey, gaited, jug-headed, thick bodied, plug-ugly, nondescript, hard pacing when he was in a bad mood, supposedly a Tennessee Walker but very obviously at least part Standardbred horse was clearly AN ARABIAN. I swear I've never wanted to punch a non-horse person in the throat for an off observation about my horse like I did that woman. She just wouldn't let it go.
    I had an ugly buckskin MFT cross that was also an Arabian per a non-horsey onlooker. Maybe our horses were related, a rare strain of ugly gaited Arabians?

I had someone stop me once while I was trail riding and ask me what kind of horse I was on. I was riding a TWH but according to the guy, my horse couldn't possibly be a TWH because he didn't have shoes on????
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I guess I'm weird, but I really hate talking about horses with non-horse people. I don't even mention I own horses unless it's somehow relevant to the conversation. Mainly because I can't deal with the topics that arise like:

"How much did you pay for your horses?"
    "My cousin's ex wife's brother's neighbor had a horse and he died because..." (fill in the blank with a story of complete ignorance)
    "What do you mean you have to feed your horses? Don't they eat grass?"
    "I rode a horse once. The SOB threw me off..."
    Last edited by Texarkana; Aug. 17, 2013 at 03:10 PM.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

6 members found this post helpful.

My brother thinks that because I have a couple TB's that I race them. He lives in Abu Dhabi and when we went to visit this summer he thought it would be fun to visit the race track so he could see me ride one . Thank goodness it was off season.

Me: "Mom, can you watch the horse for a moment while i grab my tack?"
    Mom: "NO! He's gonna charge at me!"
    Me: "It's a horse, not a bull..."
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

2 members found this post helpful.

I've definitely gotten the "How was your race this weekend?" and the "Why are you still taking lessons? Aren't you like an expert by now?"

I've also heard the term "bucked up" from numerous non-horsey people As in, "I'm an expert rider because on the trail ride I took on vacation my horse bucked up on me, and I stayed on."

Quote Originally Posted by tabula rashah View Post
    I had someone stop me once while I was trail riding and ask me what kind of horse I was on. I was riding a TWH but according to the guy, my horse couldn't possibly be a TWH because he didn't have shoes on????
    I've gotten that a few times with my barefoot Walkers. A friend I camp with who owned an Arabian invited some other women to camp with us on our big Memorial Day ride some years back, they were a mix of endurance riders on Arabians and barrel racers with QHs 6 women total. Myself and another woman we regularly camp with were the only ones in our bunch with Walking Horses on that trip. Two of the women with Arabians asked me if my Walker was gaited and when I told her yes she laid into me, and mean LAID into me, about how they are tortured to make them gait, how unnatural they are etc. Naturally I assumed she was talking about Big Lick so I agreed, it's a damn shame what they do to them, told her mine went barefoot and thankfully were not subjected to that. Got a big shock when she kept chewing my ass with her buddies jumping in telling me what a horrible person I am calling me a horse abuser and so forth, they are ALL abused to make them gait blah blah. It got ugly, the one woman was in my face yelling and wagging her finger about an inch from my nose, I thought for a minute it might come to blows! Luckily my other Walking Horse riding friend came up on the tail end of it from the shower house and between the two of us we were able to get them to back off and go back to their own campsite. Was an awkward weekend with them two sites down from us and I still don't talk to my (ex) friend who invited them.

That same weekend I went out alone for a short evening ride while my friend was cooking dinner. I was riding my plug ugly jug-headed grey gaited beast I described in my previous post just tooling down the trail at a slow walk. Came across a woman and her husband riding a *gorgeous* pair of fancy TBs that weren't doing so well on the trail. They were spooking, spinning, the husband's horse popped up a couple times, neither horse wanted to lead and they were just having a bad time. I recognized them from camp and when I got up close, asked the wife if she wanted to fall in behind me since we were headed back to the same place. She agreed and we started chatting, she told me their horses were show horses and new to the trail, they hadn't anticipated this many problems with them. They settled in nicely once they had someone to follow, her horse practically had her nose up my gelding's rear end, I think that mare fell in love at first sight. We kept chatting, really nice couple. We got on the service road that went back to camp and came across a couple guys on Walkers moving at a slow gait down the trail when the wife snatched her horse up by the face and started freaking out a little, horse reacted and started spinning, husband's horse picked up on it and started jigging and popping up. Once the Walkers passed the woman explained to me that their horses HATE gaited horses and cannot stand to be near them. I didn't say anything but after a few minutes asked her if they were comfortable picking up a slow trot. Sure, she said so I let my horse move out a little, the horror on her face was priceless when she saw my horse doing a nice easy flat walk. After the shock wore off she was able to laugh about it and even apologized to me for her earlier remarks.

Lots of Walking Horse hate going around that weekend for some reason. At least the couple I met on the trail were cool about it though, they even came over and had a pot-luck dinner with us the last night. Those other witches, I'd be perfectly happy never coming across them on a trail ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by TaterTotTB View Post

The next one was from this lady who came with her husband/boyfriend/whatever for a riding lesson when they were on vacation. Neither of them had ridden before, and both were total hippies (I adored them!). Right before I helped the woman get on the horse she pressed her forehead against the horse's, then looked at me, crying tears of joy (literally) and said "He has the most wonderful chakras I've ever come across. How on earth do you get them this at peace with the universe?"
    How sweet! But I've got a mare whose chakras, I'm sure, would make her run away screaming in horror.

I remember when I got my first helmet (about age 8) my aunt and uncle came over and I was coming in the house after riding, helmet on. My mom explained to them that it was "a jumping helmet." My uncle kind of looked at me funny, and then said, "Does it make you jump higher?"

"Why is he sticking his thing out?" (Our gelding really likes his butt scratches).
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

Okay, my turn to be clueless....What in the world is a chakras? Is it contagious?
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

Quote Originally Posted by TaterTotTB View Post
    I have two!
    "You're letting my daughter ride a pony? How dangerous! Wouldn't she be safer on a horse, not a baby pony? I'd like her on something experienced!!" This one was from a mother taking her kid to her first riding lesson. It took a few minutes to explain that the pony she was riding was 20 years old, and quite the veteran.

I keep a fire hose around to repel those types . . .

My then 3 year old brother referred to fly masks as "bug helmets". I thought it was brilliant.

My fiance, when first introduced to the horsey world, happened to see some Parelli-types with their carrot sticks. Later that day, he began asking me some serious questions about the "pirogi sticks" and wanted to know if I would need one when I bought a young horse of my own. Now he rides too and neither of us own "pirogi sticks" but we still call them that.