The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Stuff non-horsey people say

Inspired by another thread - what amazing nuggets of horsey wisdom have you received from non-horsey people?

Like, ponies are baby horses.
    You paid that much for a horse? I could get you one for free!
    Can it win races?
    etc...

Recently, I was telling a kid how horses are expensive - he said "why don't you just sell it?" Nope.

My hand dr said i thought horses were cute and cuddily! Lol

Riding is easy, you just sit there.

11 members found this post helpful.

I know how to ride, we went on a trail ride in the mountains four years ago.

8 members found this post helpful.

Yes, the "you just sit there" comment...if it weren't for the litigious nature of our society or the fact I otherwise like some of the folks who say that...a ride on the Amazon or Pig Pen the Wonder Pony would do wonders at correcting that false ASSumption.

Not to long ago, someone was asking about training our horses to rear...they thought it was cool. Thanks, Lone Ranger...but not so much, really.

4 members found this post helpful.

My brother just told me that "horses are basically just big dogs".

Had a call once that our "blind" horse was running in the field, we needed to go catch it.

She was wearing a flymask.
    Tin Roof Living- Custom Wreaths & Home D├ęcor
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinRoofLiving?ref=ss_profile
    PM me to receive a COTH discount!

4 members found this post helpful.

My husband (who is trying really hard to learn) texts me asking if I'm "whipping" tonight, usually if I'm not home around 7. He means am I planning on lunging... I've tried to correct him but apparently "whipping" is more exciting so we just let that dog be.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

9 members found this post helpful.

Default Out of the Mouths of . . .

We were just driving down the drive to the barn; it was a little cool and rainy. My Granddaughter pipe up: Oh, Mommy, look at the pink horse!!!

At a dressage competition, my son-in-law's first - horsey wasn't doing so well. Daughter asked me if I wanted to scratch - son-in-law looked it me VERY funny!
    Demereaux
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.

1 members found this post helpful.

People always seem to have gotten "bucked" at least once. Sometimes bucked off, occasionally they "got throwed." I am, apparently, the only person has ever just fallen off a horse, and therefore must be exceptionally clumsy.

(Which I am, lol, but it makes me crazy that non-riders believe that the one time they sat on a horse it actively tried to dislodge them rather than the obvious conclusion that they lost their balance!)
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

13 members found this post helpful.

"What happened to it's leg?" (ergots)

"Your horse just growled at me". (my gelding had just cleared his nose).

"What just happened? Did he buck?" (again, my gelding was clearing his nose).
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by axl View Post
    People always seem to have gotten "bucked" at least once. Sometimes bucked off, occasionally they "got throwed." I am, apparently, the only person has ever just fallen off a horse, and therefore must be exceptionally clumsy.
    Oh, no, axl, there are at least two of us!

One of my favorites is from my sweet grandmother (turns 90 tomorrow!): She came to visit one summer day when I had the horses in fly sheets and fly masks. She was quite impressed and made a point of telling friends and relatives what great care I take of my horses, "why, they even have bug jackets and bug bonnets to keep the mosquitoes away!"

I think "bug jackets" and "bug bonnets" are completely adorable, of course!
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

30 members found this post helpful.

Cool

Once a group of us were riding on some trails mostly used by mountain bikers and hikers, and not many equestrians. As we passed a mountain biker who pulled over to let us past him on the single-track trail, he noted -- looking at our various bell boots, splint/galloping boots, fly bonnets, etc., plus our helmets, gloves, chaps, etc., "Hey, horses have gear, too!" We laughed and said, "You have NO idea!"
    Visit the County Island, home of Whiskey the ranch horse: http://countyisland.wordpress.com
    Visit him on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/WhiskeyRanch-Horse

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    My husband (who is trying really hard to learn) texts me asking if I'm "whipping" tonight, usually if I'm not home around 7. He means am I planning on lunging... I've tried to correct him but apparently "whipping" is more exciting so we just let that dog be.
    He must secretly want you to take up foxhunting, get really into and become a staff member. Then you can "whip"
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Why do you still take lessons? I thought you had been riding for years and knew how.

I also tell them Tiger Woods has a swing coach, QB's have QB coaches and Michael Jordan had coaches. Even Olympic level athletes in sports have coaches and most of them do not have to contend with a live animal with a mind of his own.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

9 members found this post helpful.

I have gotten the "is your horse sick" on several occasions.

I body clip my beast every year. Trace clip. Lol, hasn't anyone seen a hair cut?

More along the lines of what non-dressage people say, but still a funny memory.

Daughter was riding a 2nd level test and had just done a craptastic halt and rein-back in front of judge. Horse proceeded forward to the corner of arena, when he spotted a giant tractor piddling around the grounds (Raleigh state fair grounds) and did a quick retreat out of the corner.

New dressage husband (his wife had previously done hunters) sweetly asked me if daughter did the reinback over again because the first one was so bad. I said no, horsey did that one all on his own.
    Only part of me worries...the other part doesn't believe in it.
    Wings of Desire

2 members found this post helpful.

I still think my favorite was the "feet hats" from another thread

Non-horse people often make no comment, but the expression on their faces is quite amusing when watching a horse buck and fart.

6 members found this post helpful.

When shipping my tack, grooming supplies, etc. across the country, I received a text from my mom, "Did you want us to ship your tackle box too?" meaning my grooming tote...
    My bf constantly feels the need to throw 'counter-canter' into any horse-related sentence he can muster, because apparently that's the only term he can remember.
    I have experienced the 'you still take lessons?!' on several occasions, and pretty much all of my friends think they are star-riders because they've been on a few trail rides.