The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Brenderup Owners - Help!

I brought my used Brenderup a few weeks ago, towed it 700+ miles w/no problems, took it to a friend's barn who is letting me store it there for free, backed it into its spot...and couldn't unhitch it from my car! I had to pull the pin and unhitch it from the car! The ball is still attached to the trailer and I Can.Not.Get.It.Off!

Been over there 3x, with the owners manual in hand, but it just won't let go of the ball! I've tried calling the guy I bought it from, hasn't returned my calls and there's no way I can back my car up and line it up to reattach it to tow it to a trailer place.

Is there some "secret" I don't know about??? Previous owner told me all I had to do was pull up on the lever and it would let go.

Since there are no dealers in the US anymore I don't know who else to ask. Any advice? (this is so embarrassing!)

Pull back, then pull up.

Once you've got it loose, you might also want to use grease like white lithium on the ball before you hook up next time. It'll prevent any seizing due to metal-on-metal heat buildup.
    Savannah Custom Scrapbook Design. For horses...and people, too!
    www.savannahscrapbooks.com
    www.thislifeblog.com

1 members found this post helpful.

sometimes if the grease has warn off, very hot, or lots of hills/backing, the ball gets a bit of a vacuum thing going on. sometimes I stand on the truck bumper and bounce with the handle raised. It doesn't happen very often, maybe 3x since 2008 with 2 different b-ups. annoying as heck!

Yeah - I'm not sure how to fix it with the truck detached. I just stand on the bumper of the Jeep while someone else holds the handle up. It always pops right off.

Yes- make sure it is greased well.

Also, check the status of the break. If the rubber piece is all the way compressed (as happens when you back up) you may need to pull a bit forward and force it to uncoil in order to unhitch the trailer.

WD-40. It did this to me once when I had a little rust on the ball. Sometimes it will help if you pull forward a few feet after backing in to release that tongue braking mechanism too.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

1 members found this post helpful.

Sounds like the ball wasn't properly greased

Try calling these guys:

http://www.mountaintoptrailers.com/

They're the US dealer for B'up parts. They might have some ideas too.
    ==================
    Somehow my inner ten year old seems to have stolen my chequebook!

http://reriderandpony.blogspot.com/

Sometimes this happens to me when I have the trailer's wheel too high, if that makes sense. If I lower the trailer more (wind up the winding thing so that the weight of the trailer is sitting on the hitch, not on the trailer wheel), that releases some mysterious tension. Try it with the trailer wheel barely even touching the ground, so it's not carrying any of the weight of the trailer. Don't worry, the trailer won't move because it's still being carried by the ball. It's just that it might be easier for the hitch to release. Once the receiver is released, you can wind the trailer wheel into position well off the ball.

Are you giving it your best "I am the lead mare and you will not mess with me" stare? That helps too (says she who once pulled away from the trailer having forgotten to undo the emergency brake cable. It took several conversations to get the emergency brake to believe that yes, it had to release now).

Not at all embarrassing. I'm sure there will be even better "adventures in trailering." :-)

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh yeah. Now that I think about it, the owner's manual says to grease the ball with vaseline with every trip. Thanks for the reminder.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Thank you ALL! Never would have thought unhitching would be the hardest part of hauling a trailer.

I'm taking WD40 and my best "lead mare stare" to Git R Done!

Chailia - Thanks for the link, if all else fails...

It's free!

2 members found this post helpful.

how did you do it?
    ==================

I was really hoping nobody would ask...I was pulling the wrong lever.

Now I'm really embarrassed...

10 members found this post helpful.

Don't worry. You're among friends
    ==================

LOL! And congratulations on your new trailer. What model did you get?

I have the Baron 1 with the tackroom.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Sounds like you were pulling the hand brake and not the lever for the ball. It's okay, it happens. Do take the advice of greasing the ball regularly. It helps. I had a Brenderup for 11 years and loved it. It broke my heart to sell it but I needed something larger than a 2 horse trailer. Someone else is enjoying my Brenderup now. I still miss that trailer!
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Well done for getting it off, no matter what the reason was I have this great stuff, something about magic grease, but of course I can NOT remember the name of it right now. Anyway, it's magical at getting rusted-on things loose, just in case you ever need to do that.

I don't think I even have an owner's manuel, and I bought mine new. Vaseline? I always use the trailer grease in the little jar....

Get a bigger hammer.
    That always helps, no matter what your problem is.

Can you get someone with a tractor come drag it out to where you can hitch to it again?
    Or does it has those brakes that you can't move it without the plug being connected?

Even so, you can drag it very slowly for a short distance, carefully, without hurting the locked wheels as they drag, not roll.

Since this was revived...I took Her Highness for her first ride last week, other than 6" of manure she loaded right up and was wonderful. It was her first ever solo ride and her first in this trailer.

Anyone else notice how nice and cool they are? I was really impressed, 92 outside but inside the trailer was pretty comfortable.

I'm so happy I found this trailer, it's light, easy to tow, plenty big and, now that I know what I'm doing, easy to hitch and unhitch!

3 members found this post helpful.