The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Small Dog attacked by Mountain Lion

Just a quick warning for dog owners who go camping with their dogs:

Just this weekend my sister went camping with a bunch of friends & their dogs when her little dog was attacked by a mountain lion. Luckily some of her friends were near by and were able to come to the aid of her dog. They were able to scare the mountain lion in which it dropped her dog and ran up a tree. Thanks to their quick action as well as the vet the dog will make a full recovery. She was lucky to survive with only a few puncture wounds but never the less a reminder to keep your dogs on a leash when camping.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jenbrin View Post
    Just a quick warning for dog owners who go camping with their dogs:

Just this weekend my sister went camping with a bunch of friends & their dogs when her little dog was attacked by a mountain lion. Luckily some of her friends were near by and were able to come to the aid of her dog. They were able to scare the mountain lion in which it dropped her dog and ran up a tree. Thanks to their quick action as well as the vet the dog will make a full recovery. She was lucky to survive with only a few puncture wounds but never the less a reminder to keep your dogs on a leash when camping.
    Yes, and not to mention bears, other campers with guns, etc. We camped with my sisters dogs once in Colorado and she refused to keep them leashed. They ran into the neighboring camp area and they were mistook as bears in the dark and almost shot. Camping does not mean dogs run free, it is not safe. And a cougar will snipe a dog in a heartbeat, so will coyotes.

Your sister's dog is very lucky it survived. I also know people whose dogs were killed by moose and gored by elk.

1 members found this post helpful.