The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Drivers who don't YIELD

Yield signs... What's so tough to understand? You CAN slow down, it is NOT my job to slam on the brakes so that YOU can merge quicker.

That is all.

Anyone else tired of avoiding selfish drivers today?

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

3 members found this post helpful.

Yep, my sister was clocked by one of those. In traffic court, the other driver kept saying, "but i was merging!" And my sister was patiently repeating, "yes, but i had right of way."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

1 members found this post helpful.

In backed up rush hour traffic the folks who pull up tight to the front bumper of the car in front in order to not let anyone in torque me off. They stare straight ahead and pretend they don't notice anyyyyyyyone around LOL!! I used to just cut in but now I am practicing better driving techniques. I roll down my drivers window, hang out the window, honk, wave, point and yell "HEY CAN I GET IN?? THANKS!!!" Never fails. No one wants the crazy happy lady in the neon green Fiesta drawing that much attention on them
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    In backed up rush hour traffic the folks who pull up tight to the front bumper of the car in front in order to not let anyone in torque me off. They stare straight ahead and pretend they don't notice anyyyyyyyone around LOL!! I used to just cut in but now I am practicing better driving techniques. I roll down my drivers window, hang out the window, honk, wave, point and yell "HEY CAN I GET IN?? THANKS!!!" Never fails. No one wants the crazy happy lady in the neon green Fiesta drawing that much attention on them
    Generally traffic wouldn't be backed up if people up ahead weren't forcing their way in

5 members found this post helpful.

Um, you don't know much about congested traffic areas do you? Because you know if it were that simple alllll the traffic congestion from NY to Houston to LA to Seattle and more would be Presto! Fixed!

Gee, too bad you just now thought of the solution to traffic congestion everywhere.
    The Knotted Pony

Here is where I get on the 5 after work even.

http://seattletransitblog.com/2010/10/01/serving-jblm/
    The Knotted Pony

So you feel that adding another inconsiderate driver to the mix will improve the situation?

I shouldn'd complain since I am only dealing Lexington traffic and not the likes of Seattle or LA, but yes, lack of merging (or driving in general) skills drives me batty. I am headed to my hometown in Iowa and the driving skills improved dramatically as soon as we made it into Ohio. There is something to be said for actually requiring driver's ed.......

Quote Originally Posted by Angelico View Post
    So you feel that adding another inconsiderate driver to the mix will improve the situation?
    Actually, don't you think the driver's refusing to either move to the middle or left lane to allow merging traffic in are the inconsiderate ones? That is usually the issue here. Empty left lane and the people in the right refuse to move over to let people on.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelico View Post
    Are you suggesting that NO ONE should be allowed to merge onto anything? Yes or no and then please explain your answer fully.

As for your question, the answer is no and your question is unwarranted, I was merely making fun of your naive response OH everybody just quit drivinggggggggg and mergggiinnggggg onto highways your tax dollars built!
    The Knotted Pony

Quote Originally Posted by ddashaq View Post
    I shouldn'd complain since I am only dealing Lexington traffic and not the likes of Seattle or LA, but yes, lack of merging (or driving in general) skills drives me batty. I am headed to my hometown in Iowa and the driving skills improved dramatically as soon as we made it into Ohio. There is something to be said for actually requiring driver's ed.......
    My friend (from here) said the same thing when visiting the OH and KY border area. Hhhm. But, I still love KY!
    The Knotted Pony

I shouldnt complain either because the city is only about 12,000 people BUT, I will see your driver that doesn't yeild and raise you three idiots that think a yield sign is just an oddly shaped stop sign. Nothing quite like getting up to nearly the speed of the road i am merging into and some old guy with a hat has stopped and is looking BOTH ways on a flippin' one way road. Said vehicle is generally something small and fragile and I drive a fairly large truck.

Disclaimer - Old guy with a hat is in no way slated specifically towards old guys with hats - it's a general term for anyone who cannot keep up with traffic (25mph), pick a lane and STAY in it, can't read traffic signs and doesn't know what signal lights are for among other sins. Said old guy may be young, old, or inbetween or male or female.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by ddashaq View Post
    Actually, don't you think the driver's refusing to either move to the middle or left lane to allow merging traffic in are the inconsiderate ones? That is usually the issue here. Empy left lane and the people in the right refuse to move over to let people on.
    No, it is not the fault of the drivers already on the highway. They do not have the yield sign. Moving so that someone can merge is a courtesy, not something that you are entitled to.

Sometimes the other driver can't get over, or maybe they are in that lane because they are getting off at the next exit and don't want to risk not being able to get back in that lane. If you can let someone on, that is great, but when you have the right of way, it is not your sole obligation to help twotrudoc get her fiesta on the highway.

8 members found this post helpful.

Yield and merge aren't the same thing. Yield sign is slow down and prepare to stop if you need to. Through traffic has the right of way.

Merge blends traffic, neither lane has the right of way.

People who deliberately run up an open lane to get to the front of a line of traffic forcing their way in at the front rather than getting in the back of the line when there is plenty of time and room to do so are arrogant, self important, (I can't say that word here) and should expect to suffer verbal and other abuse from everyone they are trying to cut off.

16 members found this post helpful.

Bingo!
    The Knotted Pony

Quote Originally Posted by mswillie View Post

People who deliberately run up an open lane to get to the front of a line of traffic forcing their way in at the front rather than getting in the back of the line when there is plenty of time and room to do so are arrogant, self important, (I can't say that word here) and should expect to suffer verbal and other abuse from everyone they are trying to cut off.
    1000 likes
    I was rear ended because of this reason. There was a long line of cars in the single lane that transitioned to another freeway but in this same line there is an on ramp for cars to enter. Most people will leave a space for the cars entering the freeway via the on ramp to merge, but that same space is seen as an opening for the dreaded "line cutter". The line cutter swoops in from the faster lanes of the freeway and fills the gap before the car entering can merge. When this happened to me, the line cutter swooped in so fast that he could not stop in time and rear ended me.

I would have to say that when trying to merge into bumper-to-bumper stop-and-go traffic (which is fairly normal in my area), the cars that stay right on the bumper ahead of them and refuse to let anybody in are the inconsiderate selfish jerks. But then again, merging is not yielding, but a little pet peeve of mine.

4 members found this post helpful.

And this, is the problem. When you cut out in front of traffic to get onto the highway, those who were already traveling at highway speed who had the right of way and every right to be where they were, have to slam on the brakes and compromise themselves and everyone behind them because of YOU. How selfish. You doing that creates the brake light domino effect on the highway. Whether you like it or not, that upside down triangle is for YOU.

If possible I will gladly help someone in if traffic flow is decent, no reason not to if you can.

My biggest pet peeve is when there are signs miles in advance that tell you to get over, a lane is closing, and there are always those few idiots refuse to get over until the very last minute end up causing wrecks because they freak out when they run out of lane and jump out in front of those who were where they were supposed to be.

(I should clarify: the woman who hit my sister did indeed have a yield sign, which she chose to ignore.)

As for highway merging-- that's what the acceleration lane is for: you speed up to enter the traffic flow smoothly when there's an opening. If there's no opening, traffic in the travel lanes is not obligated to make one for you. It's nice if they do, but sometimes they just can't. If not, you have to wait. Sucks, but there it is.

Then there's the yielding, or lack-of, in and out of traffic circles--but that might have to wait for another OT day.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

I have a few rural intersections near me with bad sight lines so they are a 4 way stop sign. My favorite is the people that don't stop at their stop sign because they figure the other 3 directions have to stop so why should they. Problems occur when two people come to the same intersection at 90 degree angles and neither stop.
    I have had a few times where I have been nearly hit. I stop, look, nobody at other stop signs and start to go only to have to slam on the brakes because somebody pops up over the hill and runs the stop sign. Because I go through at roughly the same time in the morning I know it is the same couple of cars that are doing it. So no it was not a mistake. The laws just don't apply to them.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)