The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    I too think the techs see it all so i'm not worried about grossing them out.
    what I REALLY worry about is getting cooties though.
    the problem is I don't know how to find a salon which is uber clean--for me advertising extra cleanliness would be a big draw.
    You want one with barbicide (the blue liquid that sanitizes metal implements) and bleach and you want to see them washing their implements and see them soaking for at least 10 minutes in the blue barbicide and bleaching and wiping out pedi spas. OPI and I think a few other companies do make a solution that can be run through pedi spas to disinfect and sanitize that is like a hospital grade disinfectant, but I, myself, prefer bleach and my state board states bleach + powder dishwasher detergent...which is weird but I actually really like it because if you pour too much bleach in, then run it through the jets, it foams up into a GIANT foamy mess and the powder detergent keeps that from happening somehow.

OH and see them washing their hands between every person!
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

The place I go to opens a new sterilized pack of instruments for every person.
    They do not bleach between each client but use a blue sanitizer. I am glad they don't use bleach. I hate the stuff- makes my eyes water and gives me a headache.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Sigh_ I have never had one.. I have ugly feet!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    The place I go to opens a new sterilized pack of instruments for every person.
    They do not bleach between each client but use a blue sanitizer. I am glad they don't use bleach. I hate the stuff- makes my eyes water and gives me a headache.
    I'm glad you've found a clean place!

I should have defined implements....metal ones being cuticle pushers and nippers, nail clippers, curette, maybe a little metal file which we use to smooth the edge of the nail before painting. those all need to soak for 10+ minutes in barbicide. Things like files and orange sticks are of course new for each client. They make sanitizable files, but in NC and some other states they are not allowed anymore and must be thrown away after one use.

The bleach is only used to clean the pedi tub after a client so you wouldn't be by it or in contact with it...unless their chairs were right on top of each other and the one next to you was being run with bleach after someone.
    Facebook me!

The place I go has a row of about 10 massage/soaking/pedi chairs in a row. So it would be likely one of the tubs on either side would get done while I was there. I tend to go at lunch and they are really busy then.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I had my very first pedi about 2 weeks ago. I have always been weirded out w/ people seeing/touching my feet. It's taken years but I'm TRYING to get over it. Hey, I can even wear flip flops now and not panic! LOL

Anyway, everyone goes straight into the soak tub at the salon I visited.

I am glad to hear about some of these "checklist" items to look for. I just scheduled my step daughters and myself for a mani tomorrow. Back to school soon and we're trying to do some fun things together. I've never had a regular mani, just had acrylics put one twice and that was more than 10 years ago and awful. (at a nice place, but they used the dremmel and went through my nail...lots of bleeding, very painful, was my last trip to a salon for nails til two weeks ago)

Good luck OP!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

1 members found this post helpful.

Buddyroo, if you get mani's, spring for the gel polish for yourself, if not for the kids. The polish lasts FOREVER. I'm really hard on nail polish because I'm outside feeding horses, etc. The gel polish will look good on my nails for up to a month and sometimes longer. It also makes your nails stronger so they will grow out.

Quote Originally Posted by wireweiners View Post
    Buddyroo, if you get mani's, spring for the gel polish for yourself, if not for the kids. The polish lasts FOREVER. I'm really hard on nail polish because I'm outside feeding horses, etc. The gel polish will look good on my nails for up to a month and sometimes longer. It also makes your nails stronger so they will grow out.
    CND Shellac does NO damage to the natural nail and there's no filing or anything, soaks right of in pure acetone in 10min. OPI GelColor is a little more durable, has a longer removal time. Gelish, I do not care for, as it's rough on the natural nail and it's a PAIN to get off of people.

I personally wear Shellac (3+ years now) and never have a problem with it. I work with pure acetone so the edges of my thumb, first, and middle finger on my right hand and my thumb on my left hand wear a little bit but that's it. I call it armor for your nails because when you think you've just broken your nail horribly on a car door or a carseat or something, you haven't, it's perfectly fine and shiny and perfect.

edit: I do natural nail care and repair (no acrylics), CND Shellac, occasionally OPI Gelcolor, and for some people who have a little trouble keeping Shellac on, I will use GelColor's base coat and then Shellac color and Shellac Top coat; it anchors it without giving me the extended removal time of GelColor.
    Facebook me!

I bumped our appt to mani/pedi after re-reading this thread a time or ten. My SD's are totally geeked as this will be their very first experience. (Don't worry Moms...I got Mom's permission. I am not a girly girl and Mom is actually happy that I'm doing something girly with her daughters)

Anyway, I normally don't do any kind of polish on my hands because I hate the look of chipped polish. Now that I'm working in veterinary medicine again, wearing gloves, using chemicals, etc etc, I really just planned to do the mani as a group event/bonding experience but figured I'd have to take it all off in a day or two. I'll look into the gels, but I already have very healthy nails and am more concerned that a treatment will damage them like before with the acrylics (I did those only due to being in a pageant in HS and college). You guys tell me EXACTLY what to ask for and I will. But seriously, I have the kind of nails that nail freaks probably dream of--hard as nails, healthy and grow like weeds.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

The gel polish won't hurt your nails like the acrylics. No grinding with a dremel required. But make sure you tell them you want gel POLISH, not that you want gels, because "gels" are just like acrylics, but they're gel. The gel polish is awesome. Lasts 2 weeks without chipping. Love love love it.

cotton - what's your recommendation for an at-home gel polish?
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

My nails are hard, healthy and grow like weeds too but the gel nail polish lasts forever and does seem to protect your nails from breakage. My salon uses the Gelish system and I've not noticed any damage to my natural nails. The down side to gel manicures is that the polish is hard to get off, it must be soaked off in pure acetone. So if you like to change nail colors frequently, you might not like the gel polish. I believe you can get a french nail in the gel polishes. It will eventually chip/peel off but I've gone as much as 6 weeks before it got too bad looking. I think the gel polishes would be great for someone who bites their nails since it is so hard.

You might want to read thru this or look it up yourself.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news...d-with-caution

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    I bumped our appt to mani/pedi after re-reading this thread a time or ten. My SD's are totally geeked as this will be their very first experience. (Don't worry Moms...I got Mom's permission. I am not a girly girl and Mom is actually happy that I'm doing something girly with her daughters)

Anyway, I normally don't do any kind of polish on my hands because I hate the look of chipped polish. Now that I'm working in veterinary medicine again, wearing gloves, using chemicals, etc etc, I really just planned to do the mani as a group event/bonding experience but figured I'd have to take it all off in a day or two. I'll look into the gels, but I already have very healthy nails and am more concerned that a treatment will damage them like before with the acrylics (I did those only due to being in a pageant in HS and college). You guys tell me EXACTLY what to ask for and I will. But seriously, I have the kind of nails that nail freaks probably dream of--hard as nails, healthy and grow like weeds.
    I, too, have really healthy and hard nails so CND Shellac was a dream when it came on the market about 4 years ago. It comes in a ton of shades, and of course you can do a French look as well. I am always neutral on my hands so go for lighter shades. It's definitely not like acrylics so no worries!!
    Facebook me!

Meh, you could get run over by a bus on the way to the salon too. I've been getting pedicures for years with no problems. Although some of the things Cotton has said has made me wonder about my salon.

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    The gel polish won't hurt your nails like the acrylics. No grinding with a dremel required. But make sure you tell them you want gel POLISH, not that you want gels, because "gels" are just like acrylics, but they're gel. The gel polish is awesome. Lasts 2 weeks without chipping. Love love love it.

cotton - what's your recommendation for an at-home gel polish?
    I'm not super familiar with the at-home gel systems since I'm a professional and work with professional products. I know prep goes a long way. We swipe with pure acetone, buff with a yellow buffer (fine grit) then alcohol with a paper towel (int free) before every single polish job and it makes such a difference.

I know some people who aren't professionals who buy the pro systems for at-home use online. It's $$$.

CND has come out with their Vinylux polish this May which is a regular polish that is a "weekly polish" that is chip free for a week and comes off just like regular polish. No base coat required, just proper prep, two coats of color then the Vinylux top coat. Dries in 9 minutes and strengthens with exposure to natural light. It's great for people who don't want to commitment to the Shellac. We retail it. I have some at home that I've worn some and put on DD and it does wear really well.
    Facebook me!

A little off topic but after a day at Warped Tour and two days of shopping in Dallas, I got a reflexology foot massage at a kiosk in the mall. OMG, HEAVEN, I wanted to take that little man home with me.

2 members found this post helpful.

I wish I was a pedi person!! I want to like them but it's the absolute opposite of relaxing for me. Actually, if you wanted to punish me, make me get a pedicure. I'm a ball of nerves the whole time.
    Well, actually now I don't even get them (last one was two summers ago for bff's wedding). After having surgery on my pinkie toe I'm really self conscious of it and it's almost too much for my comfort to do yoga class with someone in my bubble. I'd just be mortified if someone was inches from my foot, looking at it! (aside from the surgeon who did it!)
    That said, in China my mom and relatives all wanted foot massages almost every day. They were like.... 7 bucks for forty five minutes and looked heavenly. I got back massages instead, so all was good!

I tried the gel route, but it still shipped and came off after less than 2 weeks. Is this just low quality stuff the salons I'm going to are using or is it me? I work in an office so I didn't think it would be that bad.