The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What are the hygiene requirements for going for a pedicure?

I hope I don't end up wishing I used an alter for this! Here's the deal. In the summer I would love to have my toenails painted and the treat of having a pedicure. Frequently I will be out shopping, and see a nail spa and sigh wistfully. But if I am out shopping in the summer, I don't feel like my feet are presentable. It would be like deciding to stop in to a doctor for a pelvic exam without special attention to bathing immediately beforehand.

But here's the thing. I've only had a couple of pedicures, for this very reason, but always the first thing has been to soak my feet in warm sudsy water. Is this the norm? Is this because feet might not be perfectly sweet and clean upon arrival? I know I am handicapped by having inherited my dad's sweaty feet – it's a curse. And if it's appropriate that I never have an impromptu pedicure, so be it. But I just thought I'd ask!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

I love pedicures ;-) The first thing they do is sink your feet in warm, sudsy water- and i would imagine it's for their benefit as much as it is to soften your skin ;-) As long as you are a normally clean person who's bathed recently (I would make sure it was that morning and not the night before, but that's just me) they wouldn't look twice at you. I bet they get some nasty cases and yours wouldn't faze them at all. Next time you get the urge, stroll on in and pick out your color!
    Kerri

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes, that's the norm. I'm sure that cleanliness is a fringe benefit, but from my understanding it's to soften the skin and nails to make it easier to trim/cut/file/pumice/whatever to beautify your tootsies! I still always make a point to try and have clean feet when I go though.

My biggest thing about going to get a pedicure is remembering to shave my legs the night before!!!!
    "I enjoy this motorcade and will recommend it to my niece."

10 members found this post helpful.

I don't believe it is about your stinky feet . Doubt they are much smellier than the rest of ours! It is about softening up dry skin and callouses.

Personally, I worry about hygiene from the other side of the equation and do my own nail business...I not sure I trust a nail salon to clean their instruments properly every time and I don't want someone else's nail/foot germs.

Soaking your feet also makes it's easier to exfoliate calluses and dry spots.

I'm pretty sure a seasoned nail tech has seen much, much worse than sweaty feet.

I go with clean feet and don't go at the end of a long day. But they still soften, file, massage.. and have only been a couple of times so was thinking the same thing as OP.

But on my very first visit she found a teeny teeny bit of nail fungus that freaked me out....I got some nail stuff and was meticulous about applying it and it has gone now. So that is the good part of pedicures - I wold never have seen it by myself. When I told my doctor in my panic, she just laughed at me. The instructions didn't help by saying that it is (amongst other things) the result of poor hygiene

Now I keep my nails very short indeed.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    My biggest thing about going to get a pedicure is remembering to shave my legs the night before!!!!
    My lady says not to shave before you are going to get a pedicure. Something about the scrub they use irritating pores I think.

Although that could just be for me - I have pale Irish skin that turns red if you look at it wrong.

And based on some of the people I have seen in salons - these ladies have seen some nasty ass feet and are not phased by it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    I hope I don't end up wishing I used an alter for this! Here's the deal. In the summer I would love to have my toenails painted and the treat of having a pedicure. Frequently I will be out shopping, and see a nail spa and sigh wistfully. But if I am out shopping in the summer, I don't feel like my feet are presentable. It would be like deciding to stop in to a doctor for a pelvic exam without special attention to bathing immediately beforehand.

But here's the thing. I've only had a couple of pedicures, for this very reason, but always the first thing has been to soak my feet in warm sudsy water. Is this the norm? Is this because feet might not be perfectly sweet and clean upon arrival? I know I am handicapped by having inherited my dad's sweaty feet – it's a curse. And if it's appropriate that I never have an impromptu pedicure, so be it. But I just thought I'd ask!
    The soak is to soften the skin, because when we use the pedi file, the dead skin literally rolls right off. IT also helps the polish that is to be removed come off a little easier and then since your skin is hydrated, it doesn't soak up a dark color (dark reds and almost-blacks like to immediately stain the surrounding skin) during removal. It's also a cleanliness factor in a good salon as they will use an Epson salt based soak, that will not only release tension in your feet and ankles and lower legs but nix any mild icky you might bring in with you, like after you've been running on the treadmill at the gym just before your appt.

The not shaving thing is true, you can shave the day before but we recommend not the day of. It's not the end of the world if you do, it can just make your skin more susceptible to irritation from the scrub since shaving leaves your skin with teeny tiny little cuts.

A good salon will be running straight bleach through their pedi jets after every single client so if you don't see them pouring Clorox in there between people, please leave. There are news stories about the dirty salons and nasty pedi jets but they don't tell you what salons are supposed to be doing and what to look for in a good salon so it just hurts the whole industry. Your state should have on their Cosmetic Arts website somewhere where each salon's sanitation score is and what they've had points taken off for. In NC, you can be shut down for being disgusting, and all you have to do is change one letter in your salon name and you can instantly reopen, and it happens all the time and consumers just don't know.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alternate_universe View Post
    Soaking your feet also makes it's easier to exfoliate calluses and dry spots.

I'm pretty sure a seasoned nail tech has seen much, much worse than sweaty feet.
    This. So go forth and get that pedicure!!

Quote Originally Posted by PaintPony View Post
    My lady says not to shave before you are going to get a pedicure. Something about the scrub they use irritating pores I think.

Although that could just be for me - I have pale Irish skin that turns red if you look at it wrong.
    This is true. It's actually a hygiene thing—having shaved recently increases the likelihood of having a knick or a cut.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintPony View Post
    I was told this as well, along with the fact that any shaving irritation can prove an entry point for an infection, something I don't allow myself to think about while getting a pedicure (it's a bit alarmingly common)
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Definitely soaking feet is the norm.

I will only go to selected, unfortunately expensive pedicures now... I ended up with nasty toenail fungus a few years ago, and I'm fairly certain it was from my local cheapo nail place. A little traumatized by the experience, and very, very selective of where I go now! Probably over-paranoid, but I'd rather not go through months of medication and gross toenails again...

I broke my leg at the end of April, an open/compound fracture, so I now have two HUGE scars - one several inches long up the outside of my calf and another, larger one by my ankle and running up the side of my shin. The incisions are healed and closed but it's obviously only been a few months and my foot and ankle are puffy and I'm still clomping around in a boot with crutches. I'm not planning on going any time right away but I'd like to know how soon I could go to get a pedi without the poor girl running away screaming in horror at my Frankenstein leg. I don't want to gross out whoever has to work on it! Should I just wait until next summer?
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

Quote Originally Posted by drawstraws View Post
    I broke my leg at the end of April, an open/compound fracture, so I now have two HUGE scars - one several inches long up the outside of my calf and another, larger one by my ankle and running up the side of my shin. The incisions are healed and closed but it's obviously only been a few months and my foot and ankle are puffy and I'm still clomping around in a boot with crutches. I'm not planning on going any time right away but I'd like to know how soon I could go to get a pedi without the poor girl running away screaming in horror at my Frankenstein leg. I don't want to gross out whoever has to work on it! Should I just wait until next summer?
    She shouldn't be grossed out! Just as long as it isn't painful (anyone with scars, I always ask if they're still tender or anything) and make sure your doctor is okay with it!
    Facebook me!

Well.. I went for a manicure after my equine accidentally ripped off the tip of my middle finger! It was healed but he had been doing me for years and I needed one.
    Dermablend makes a good scar concealer, you should keep your scars protected from the sun so they don't darken.

Call me paranoid, but I always make sure my feet are clean and not too gross before I go in for a pedicure. I'll clip my toenails and try remove the worst of my calluses, otherwise I get paranoid that the girls at the salon are talking about my gross finger toes to each other in a language I can't understand . I've seen some way grosser feet on people sitting next to me though, so not everyone feels this way. My other strategy is to bring my boyfriend with me, as his hairy man-feet make mine look cute!

2 members found this post helpful.

I too think the techs see it all so i'm not worried about grossing them out.
    what I REALLY worry about is getting cooties though.
    the problem is I don't know how to find a salon which is uber clean--for me advertising extra cleanliness would be a big draw.

I found mine by years and years of good reviews And the owner yells out "Only a few minute wait! We are ster-lizing everything right now! Right now!" LOL!! whenever she changes instruments/baths.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by birdistheword View Post
    Call me paranoid, but I always make sure my feet are clean and not too gross before I go in for a pedicure. I'll clip my toenails and try remove the worst of my calluses, otherwise I get paranoid that the girls at the salon are talking about my gross finger toes to each other in a language I can't understand . I've seen some way grosser feet on people sitting next to me though, so not everyone feels this way. My other strategy is to bring my boyfriend with me, as his hairy man-feet make mine look cute!
    At least at our salon, we don't talk about our clients except for the crazy or difficult ones...which always seem to get sent to me, and they're not difficult or mean to me . In our area, the non-English salons are the bad ones (dirty and still using illegal acrylic products that have been outlawed for 40 yrs, but are still used all over America...don't get me started on acrylic!).

If one of the other girls is going to do my nails, I like to give myself a preservice though because I feel like they have to be near perfect all the time since that's what I do.
    Facebook me!