The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I keep killing birds.

Until the start of this year, I've never hit and killed a bird when I'm driving. I hit a pheasant back in April and since then, I've hit at least ten other birds. I'm starting to feel like some sort of bird murderer!

They just keep flying out in front of the truck and thunk! Dead birdy. Is there anything I can do? I'm starting to get jumpy when I spot a bird near the road.

(It didn't help that I drove into the supermarket today and people were staring at the truck. Yep, I had a bird stuck in the grill.)
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    Until the start of this year, I've never hit and killed a bird when I'm driving. I hit a pheasant back in April and since then, I've hit at least ten other birds. I'm starting to feel like some sort of bird murderer!

They just keep flying out in front of the truck and thunk! Dead birdy. Is there anything I can do? I'm starting to get jumpy when I spot a bird near the road.

(It didn't help that I drove into the supermarket today and people were staring at the truck. Yep, I had a bird stuck in the grill.)
    I go through spurts of this it seems. My dad once told me that I should slow down and give them a fighting chance, but I don't drive that fast..lol. I have even had a duck fly into my windshield. A flipping duck!!! Really?

And what about the squirrels? I swear some days it's like the squirrel kamikaze club met up and about 10 different squirrels will bolt out in front of me on my way in to work.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

do those noise thingies people put on their cars work for birds?

Quote Originally Posted by RacetrackReject View Post
    I go through spurts of this it seems. My dad once told me that I should slow down and give them a fighting chance, but I don't drive that fast..lol. I have even had a duck fly into my windshield. A flipping duck!!! Really?

And what about the squirrels? I swear some days it's like the squirrel kamikaze club met up and about 10 different squirrels will bolt out in front of me on my way in to work.
    I have hit the occasional animal and finally absolved myself of the crippling guilt by eventually being like, "You know, it's a bird. It is not like the option to fly 3 feet higher up was unavailable to it."

Additionally, when something starts zig zagging wildly I am just like, ayfkm?

At some point I think even a chipmunk makes its own destiny.

2 members found this post helpful.

Default In 40 years of driving,

I have never hit anything but birds! Oh, and one snake, slithering across the road....
    And I drove professionally, maybe 100 miles a day too. But I realize it is the luck of the draw.
    I would be grief stricken if I hit anything else, but when they fly up in front, or swoop down, just can't be helped.
    Another killer of threads

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post

Suicidal birds...
    Nearly had a duck fly into the windshield leaving the gym the other day....

but hey: If your idea of fast food is hitting a deer at 55 mph...you might be a redneck...

They needed culling, don't feel bad!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I swear, pheasants are suicidal. I haven't hit one yet, but one has ran down the middle of the road in front of me for at least 100 feet before it decided to pick a side! What makes it worse is that one of the quarry owners a few miles down from the one where I work is a hunter and decided to repopulate the back area of his quarry with them. Well, they didn't know they were supposed to stay there, now there are at least three roads that are swarming with the darn things, ugh. I think I've hit about three flying birds in my life, but the squirrels... I swear they veer back into the line of fire on purpose...
    Quarry Rat

My best friend, in high school, hated the squirrels. Her dad (mine, too, they're really quite similar) would feed the squirrels in the yard and they became really bold, to the point of not moving much to get out of her way to and from the car. Anyway, she was sick of them and would TRY to hit the squirrels when driving. Like, swerve and aim for them. Never got one... Took almost three years of driving. Meanwhile, I'd feel HORRIBLE about offing a squirrel, and hit 8 my first year driving. Plus a few birds.
    I laughed about the bird on the grill... I had a big gorgeous butterfly, all bright yellows and black, on the front tag of my car. I think it 'rode' with me across a few state lines. Noticed it and kicked it off my car, to the protestations of MrB who said it was a hood ornament that warned other drivers that I didn't eff around... Lol

I think too about the birds being able to fly up up up and yet, clunk, dead at a foot above ground.
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

1 members found this post helpful.