The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Do you need piaffe and passage to get your bronze?

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

6 members found this post helpful.

One thing I do like about this mare...she can tip her pelvis (bascule), so I think she will...with a lot of strength developed, be able to "sit", and when she gets "there", she will not be considered high behind or downhill. There are plenty of purpose-bred horses that do not have that ability. They may be uphill in a conformation shot, but they don't have the flexibility needed later in training. It is the flexion of the joints of the hind legs and the tipping of the pelvis that piaffe shows. She seems to track up. She can canter. She is going to be baroque looking. She is thick in the throatlatch, and that may pose some problem when she eventually truly collects. It is my impression that you were really disappointed at one point when this mare was not going to be available for you to buy. Now is your chance, but as everyone has pointed out, it will be challenging. If you are up to a good challenge, go for it. Someone once said you know you are looking at the right horse when you already have plans for what saddles and things you want to buy for that horse.

In your video. Stop it at 38 seconds.

1 members found this post helpful.

Read the Push it article on COTH. Then decide if you are serious about Dressage. Doesn't matter to anyone but you what you decide, but you should decide one way or the other. That would guide your next steps. There is no shame in just having fun and doing your best and seeing what you can accomplish with the horse you have...if that is this horse...that is your business

2 members found this post helpful.

Another bit of ability she shows (I re watched the video). Somebody is free longing her, and when they wave their arm or whip, instead of breaking into trot and then flattening into canter, she steps into canter and at one point canters almost from a halt., and her canter is balanced and steady. Less impressed with her trot on second watch but there are moments when she shows quite a bit of loft.

I think she is a diamond in the rough.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyedragon View Post
    I am reposting this and hopefully won't get in trouble this time. This is my friend's mare that she has been going back and forth with me on selling for months now. It sounds like she is to the point where she is absolutely going to have to sell so I am looking at her a little more seriously for myself. She is 6 years old, Appaloosa/Draft cross. I wish I had some riding video of her, but this is the best I have:

http://youtu.be/TWjldYfxX9U
    I would rather work with this horse than the other one you posted - who I believe will present you some real challenges in terms of a consistent forward & work ethic.
    She's 10 & as mentioned (by another poster), re-eductating is going to take 2-3 years before you can start really working towards your goal.

My goals with her would be to also work through the dressage levels. I have talked at length about this mare with my trainer and she at first said that she didn't think we would make second level,
    First Level & that will be a challenge for her, physically - mentally, she may quit sooner to be happy to keep on trying.

If you want to do dressage, choose a dressage prospect - the better conformed a horse is for your ultimate goal, the easier it will be for the horse to do the work, the faster the rate of progress for both you & the horse ...
    (I don't know many horses that enjoy giving the wrong answer, again & again)

Maybe my experience with a draft cross will help you decide...

I've been training a percheron/tb gelding for 3 yrs. He is a handsome horse; does look like a warmblood in many ways, but has the usual conformation issues of most draft crosses. It has been a bit of a struggle to bring him along; he's difficult to get in front of the leg, he doesn't have much in the way of extension, he is not terribly smart.

But with perseverance and determination, we were getting there and we were entered in out 2nd level debut. This is now all on hold because he seems to be having hock issues and we now need to determine our next course of action.

Of course, all breeds of horses can develop hock problems, but I can't help thinking its because he is not conformationaly suited to the work and it has put a strain on his hind legs. It is extremely disappointing to have him 'right there' and now all the hard work may be for naught.

Really think this through if your goal is to go up the levels, you may be in for a big disappointment.

I wouldn't say hock arthritis is because of his confo so much. Many a warmblood suited for this Job gets injections regularly with age and moving up. It's like us some get it sooner than others depending on genetics sometimes, sometimes how we have taken care of our selves etc.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by Skyedragon View Post
    I am torn between the fact that I have wanted to be serious about working through the levels for years, I have just never had the horse to do it with, and how much I really do like this mare. I have known her since she was an unbroke three year old and liked her a lot then, just didn't have the resources to get her broke out. A good chunk of me says "Just get her and get as far as you can and be happy." BUT there is a nagging voice in there too saying "Look what happened with your last mare? You got her because you felt instantly in love and connected and then spent two years bouncing around from thing to thing trying to find something that she would enjoy and do well at." I don't really want that to happen again either.
    It seems that riding this mare for a couple of weeks after years of frustration with another has given you a renewed sense of excitement about riding and training. She deserves a big thank you for that. It's a good service.

However, based on her conformation I would say that two years down the line you'll be bored and frustrated again -- this time because you can't get past her limitations. Then you might ride another horse who feels light and athletic and have the same feeling of relief you do now, but you will have this horse on your hands.

I would enjoy your renewed optimism and channel it into finding a suitable partner who is amenable and trainable like this mare but who has a bit more to offer athletically.
    Shut up! You look fine! --Judybigredpony
    Ms. Brazil

However, based on her conformation I would say that two years down the line you'll be bored and frustrated again -- this time because you can't get past her limitations. Then you might ride another horse who feels light and athletic and have the same feeling of relief you do now, but you will have this horse on your hands.
    yes, at this age she is unlikely to become uphill in her conformation. She looks like a fun horse but we can only go by your stated goals and you have said you want a horse to take to second level. It's always possible but not necessarilly easy. I know someone who has taken a PMU grade draft cross to GP but it was not easy and it shows.

So, yes, it can be done but better for horse and rider if the the horse has the conformation and gaits to make it easier for the horse.

if you were looking for a fun all rounder and having no particular dressage goals, you would get different replies.

It also depends on if you want a horse at the right price. If this one is a very good price and ride for two Yeats and if she tops out sell her and maybe have a little more money to put toward the next step up for you. If I remember correctly, you do not have a ton of money to spend and I believe you are a student. If yOu are limited to under 1k it will be hard to find the perfect horse possibly. I know everyone says horses are cheap but in my experience of horse shopping in the peak if the downfall of horse prices a good horse that is built well is still not cheap unless you get lucky. I'm one that will not sell my horses because I have my own farm they can stay on but if you are willing to sell that maybe another option.

I agree with most others. She looks like a fun, albeit not easy nor quick study. I like her more than the other mare you posted.

Little story: I bought, sight unseen, a young standardbred gelding. He was a project in that I just wanted to see how far I could take him, and prove that they can make nice riding horses once off the track.

I did not buy him with the expectation that he would do dressage for me. I am looking at it the other way around, let's see what dressage can do for him.

It is a long, hard journey. It has been incredibly rewarding. I've learned things about myself and my riding that no purpose-bred horse has ever taught me. I have been brought to ground-zero of riding, and had to/am having to build back up again. In so many ways, he is the best teacher I have, and I truly enjoy his company. Such a wonderful, kind hearted animal who tries his heart out. Just thinking about him makes my heart swell and tears come to my eyes.

That said, his journey is long. I have no idea how far he'll go, and how long it'll take. To satisfy my competitive drive and desire to pursue my bronze, I purchased another, more naturally talented beast with great gaits. I enjoy riding him too- but quite honestly, I enjoy my time with my standardbred much, much more. Without the Standardbred in my life, I'd be kind of "meh" about riding, despite having the beautiful, talented ride at my fingertips. If I had to choose between the 2 horses right now, I'd let the talented one go before the standardbred.

No one can tell you what to do. If you want to get to 2nd level on this horse, hey, maybe you can. it may take many many years. You could buy a beautiful purpose bred horse and get there much faster (provided your riding is up to par). You could have a fantastic relationship with any horse, regardless of ability. You could have a horrible relationship with a horse, regardless of ability. Or, the unthinkable could happen - either horse could get injured or sick and be sidelined. That's horses for you.

Good luck!

while it is all good to say we are in this for fun - think a minute: how fun will it be to struggle to get a horse forward? how fun will it be to struggle to get the horse in horizontal balance? how fun will it be when all your friends pass you by while you are still struggling with x?

sure the mare *might* be able to be trained up the levels - but only by a very good trainer -

so my suggestion is: find a more appropriate mount that you will HAVE FUN training..... one where it is easy for them to do the work so you dont have to force yourself into forcing them to do something they would rather not.

there are a TON of appropriate horses out there!

I assume OP is on a modest budget to spend..

One important thing this mare has going for her is that the OP KNOWS her, she knows the good and bad, the faults ( a bit lazy), the soundness, the temperament.

That is a huge advantage over buying unknown. Even if we try a horse a few times, we don't really know them. Some behaviors don't' reveal themselves right away, or come out with new rider or environment. Some soundness issues are intermittent and don't show up right away.

The mare is a good age (six). As far as OP knows, she is sound and not crazy with some hidden behavior that comes out soon after purchase.

I have seen buyers be unpleasantly surprised who spent a lot and even had vet checks done. Knowing the horse and what you are getting goes a long way.
    Last edited by Countrywood; Aug. 14, 2013 at 12:26 PM.

My budget is up to $3000, which in this area apparently doesn't buy a lot when it comes to dressage-types. I would need at least $6000 to start being a contender. Between $0-$3000 there are a million QHs and Paints winning on the local circuits or even breed show circuits, but when it comes to dressage types, nada.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

3k...you could do better but you could do worse. One never knows with horses. Obviously, I like this mare, and I like the fact that you know her and know her history VERY much.

Otherwise it's a crap shoot. You could get lucky, or unlucky with an unknown horse. I've seen it both ways. I've seen people spend a lot, and spend a little, and still be very surprised and unprepared for what their new horse "really" is like! And that includes people who spent big $ for the horse, had a thorough pre purchase, had trainers ride them, etc.

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse...rse_id=1883377

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse...rse_id=1878378

If your in Michigan there are a ton of possibilities in that price range on there. But if you like this mare a lot go for it

How about this guy...maybe you could make a deal. 3000 down..rest in payments? He's 13..steady..I dunno.. Trak/Arab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phnKhsjWjCo

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse...rse_id=1890943

Hm, well the paint gelding is 7.5 hours from me, so he is out. Plus he looks more hunt seat?

The last one you posted (trak/arab) was at the same show as me Saturday and was HOT in the warmup ring. Bouncing all over the place. We must have left before his actual test (don't see my truck and trailer in the background). He almost looks like a different horse when he is in the actual ring!

The others are 2.5 - 3 hours from me, but might be worth a look. None of them really draw me in like the Arab mare did. When I saw her ad I called immediately haha.
    The Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Countrywood View Post
    3k...you could do better but you could do worse. One never knows with horses. Obviously, I like this mare, and I like the fact that you know her and know her history VERY much.

Otherwise it's a crap shoot. You could get lucky, or unlucky with an unknown horse. I've seen it both ways. I've seen people spend a lot, and spend a little, and still be very surprised and unprepared for what their new horse "really" is like! And that includes people who spent big $ for the horse, had a thorough pre purchase, had trainers ride them, etc.
    This is exactly what my trainer as well as my "horse mom" (mentor that I kind of call my barn/horse mom) said to me. Knowing her complete history is a huge plus. I know where she came from, I know what has been done with her, and I have had the luxury of a rather extended "trial" period.
    The Blog