The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Took Syndey to a show yesterday, we ended up high point champion for our division. She was as calm as always!

Finally got some video of her under saddle:
    video

Please no critique of me, I have already discussed at length with my trainer what I needed to improve. I know I didn't ride my best, but by that time I was so hot I felt like I was going to pass out up there. 90 degrees in a black hunt coat is not fun.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

She is not the most forward mover in the world but she is solid and gets the job done...congratulations on your win! ):

You can fix sucked back with work. Good for you taking her out and showing. Get this horse -you're relaxed with her.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

She is less forward and more sucked back than in the free lunge video, so imo keep riding her and see if she is amenable to being ridden more forward. She does not look in peak condition and just like a person, if she were in a program where she could get in shape through regular work it would be easier for her. The gaits were there in the free lunge video.

The fact that you can go out and show her and do well is a huge plus. Imo you are a good match height wise.

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, in her defense she was working in the same 90 degrees that I was trying to not pass out in! Seriously, I have never felt so sick after riding like I did yesterday, I was even chugging water between each class, stayed in the shade when I could, etc.

I know we both need more fitness, not sure how to progress her though while we are stuck to just arena riding.
    The Blog

You don't have access to a hack trail, hills, or trail riding? That's too bad for more than just fitness reasons. Nobody digs being stuck in the ring all the time. Can you haul out anywhere?

Things to improve forward and fitness:

1. Horse -make sure the tack fits (I'm not speaking to you specifically) because bad fit will impede movement.

2. Encourage forward from the beginning of the ride (with breaks of course for a horse who is not fit).

3.Ground poles and cavaletti.

4. Ride lots. How often do you ride?

For the rider

1. Ride more.

2. Get stronger in the core.

Paula

Paula gave good tips. Ground poles and little cross rails are good too.

Must have been brutal showing in a jacket like that in the heat! Cooler weather just around the corner...

I know the saddle isn't ideal (she could really use a hoop tree), but it is the best of all the options available to me. I am riding her 4-5 times a week right now, but usually for only 30-45 minutes walk/trot. I will hopefully have trails available to us soon, as of right now I don't have any trail buddies to ride with and I don't really want to go out alone. The times that I have ridden her on trails was always in a group.
    The Blog

Then ride bareback (IMO). Bad saddle fit is just going to get in your way I'm afraid. There's nothing wrong with 30-45 minutes of WT for improving forward. In fact trot will get her in shape very effectively. But you have to be working, not just moving. Get in some leg yield, some serpentine, spirals, etc.

At my original barn we didn't have trails so I just rode Fella around the farm -around the barn, outside the the ring, down the driveway, etc.

You know none of this information changes with a different horse. Still going to have to work your ass of regardless.

Paula

Video won't load for me. Do you have it available for mobile devices?
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    Video won't load for me. Do you have it available for mobile devices?
    I'm not sure how to do that?
    The Blog

Congrats on getting her out to the show
    - sounds like you both did good

Quote Originally Posted by Skyedragon View Post
    I am riding her 4-5 times a week right now, but usually for only 30-45 minutes walk/trot. I will hopefully have trails available to us soon, as of right now I don't have any trail buddies to ride with and I don't really want to go out alone. The times that I have ridden her on trails was always in a group.
    Why not just hand walk her out on the trails? this will really improve her fitness as long as you insist on a nice forward walk (& don't allow her to amble along) & is a good way to accustom a horse to going out with just you (you're right there where she can see you).
    Practise this in the arena & around the barn before heading out on the trails (you can also walk her out on the road IF the road is suitably quiet & has a wide enough shoulder).

You can also finish up every ride with 10 - 20 min of bareback, again focus on a nice forward walk, don't trot unless you're able to remain light & balanced on her.

Is there a beach or lake that you can trailer to? just walking her in water is a good workout - start with fetlock height & graduate to knee height as she gains fitness & confidence (this is much nicer in hot weather ).

3 members found this post helpful.

She seems very sweet and mellow and you look like you enjoy sitting on her.

One can't see her gaits on this video because you are riding her very, very short. This is not a "critique of you." This is to say she can do more that we don't see in the video. She can step out and in lessons you will need to work on letting her be a horse, allowing her forward, and encouraging her working gaits.

Although I am among the posters who stated that green on green is a disaster, this appears to be a horse who will be safe while you learn to ride her working gaits. She seems to be what we call an "old soul." I can see her plopping around and looking forward to her carrot as long as you loosen up and let her work on a longer rein. FYI don't try to walk on the bit this soon. You can destroy her walk. I only do this with a green horse when the horse is being so hot and distracted she needs to be put to work, and then I move to trot and canter as soon as I've got her attention.

I was very, very pleased to read that your trainer will retire and you will move on pretty soon. That will give you an opportunity to work on the next steps in your riding, which your horse needs. She is quiet enough for you to trust her at her working gaits, which are much, much bigger than we see here.

Your next trainer will help you with that.

I also wish to indicate that any horse who is servicably sound can canter under saddle, even if the up transitions are messy if she has the balance to trot a 20-meter circle. We canter OTTBs down the long side of the ring, in a 1/2 seat, their first or second ride off of the track.

See around 18:00:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy4BooIqtmM

Yours is ready and you stick in the saddle well enough to have a go at it, and as soon as you get into regular lessons with another trainer, I quadruple guarantee with sprinkles that you will not work on the trot ad nauseam before working on the canter. The canter improves the trot, loosens the horse, helps her go forward (think about how you drive a bit faster on secondary roads after you pull off of the highway), and is actually the easier gait for you to learn to sit up and achieve a decent connection with her mouth.

The only way I can see this going south, safety-wise, is if you don't take the step of allowing her forward. Holding her/ allowing her to jog like that is a recipe for getting her back sore, and will make her feel like she's got saddle issues that aren't there.

A good saddle fitter will set your mind at ease about fit so you can save your money for lessons and focus on your forward work without worrying you're hurting her.

Finally, don't worry that she's not for sale. Make an offer. Everyone has her price. If the owner isn't in love with her enough to be sure whether she'll keep her, she could be in love with the money she gets. Offer $2000 and see if she bites. It might induce her to say $3000 firm, at which point you've got a deal, but you need to do a pre-purchase. She's not working as hard as you'll want her to for the intended purpose.

When I vetted my horse she was going w/t/c on the bit, hacking out, jumping 2'6", and the vet asked me what I wanted to do with her. I said the training 3-day and maybe some hunting, and he assessed her based on that. Your vet will assess her soundness for the intended use.

I always x-ray feet and hocks. Not everyone does.

Anyhoo, this is a nice sweet horse. Every horse is beautiful when the gymnastic foundation has been laid. It's 99% lessons until high first level.

I think the palomino is a bit of a better athlete but this one is harmonious with your body type.

Have fun.
    Shut up! You look fine! --Judybigredpony
    Ms. Brazil

5 members found this post helpful.

Hey, Skye...bring her to Silver Creek with me next weekend and we can undo the "sucked back" stuff My mare took two years to "unsuck", both from her WP training and my being unsure on her. Now we have tons of forward and I do attribute it to the trail riding.

2 members found this post helpful.

I have mentioned several times now that my mare had canter issues. Some days she would canter some day she would not no mater what you did. That is why she would have never have gotten pass Intro.
    If she was sound, then I assure you the "canter issues" were not with her .

All horses canter unless they are gaited or unsound. Again, the mark of a true horseman (or woman) is that they realize THEY are the limiting factor, not the horse. It is seldom the horse.

7 members found this post helpful.

Well I just jumped through a whole bunch of hoops and hopefully the video should now be available for those of you viewing on a phone or iPad.

I have always considered Sydney to be a horse that was "born broke." Not a lot phases her. Of all of the horses I have shown I will say she is the most fun because she has also been the most relaxed.

I have been in contact with a saddle fitter who sounds very good, but haven't wanted to spend the $150 on having her out for a horse that isn't mine. My friend will be headed home soon (thank goodness), and I hope that a few things will be figured out then. If I were to buy this mare having the saddle fitter out would be one of the first things on my to-do list.
    The Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie & Starlette View Post
    Hey, Skye...bring her to Silver Creek with me next weekend and we can undo the "sucked back" stuff My mare took two years to "unsuck", both from her WP training and my being unsure on her. Now we have tons of forward and I do attribute it to the trail riding.
    How are the deer flies? I don't think I can make it this coming weekend, have plans for one last outing on the boat and some family time.
    The Blog

for many of us 'getting up there' types (or frankly, even when i wasn't in the 'getting up there' crowd) - relaxed horse = relaxed rider.

i ended up w/ an icey 'cause he has plenty of go, but zero spook! i on the other hand, have LOTS of spook - so it works out well.

my old qh was 'born broke'..never worried about him doing anything bad out of fear. pulling my arms out occasionally, yes, but i was never fearful of riding him even if we'd both been off.

got a pony after that figuring i could do a green-ish pony. pony had been abused and had a LOT of baggage....that got not-fun in a big hurry!

The rider did not ask for a critique, but she didn't rule out compliments! I think she has a nice seat and quiet hands. It's not for nothing that she just won two show divisions, the judges do apply rider scores to each. Of course she needs to transition from hunter style to dressage and riding forward etc but the basics are there, and mesh practically well with this mare at this time.

How are the deer flies? I don't think I can make it this coming weekend, have plans for one last outing on the boat and some family time.
    Not bad at all considering. Fly masks work well. And being able to swat the bombers. I know where to go to avoid as many as we can. Seriously, this would be a good test for her, too. My two horses are not to crazy about the ring, but love trail riding!