The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Did we lose a chunk of this thread?!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

1 members found this post helpful.

I think the upgrades/maintenance lost the more recent posts on every thread after X time ....

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Yes, we did.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

So, I guess I will repost this. This gelding was posted earlier:

http://www.equine.com/horses-for-sal...2.html#contact

But isn't he built downhill too?
    The Blog

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I just noticed that a lot of threads came back up shortened.

Being built down hill is not the end all for 2nd unless that are wayyyy down hill. You have to look at the whole picture.
    Last edited by rabicon; Aug. 21, 2013 at 03:07 PM.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by Skyedragon View Post
    So, I guess I will repost this. This gelding was posted earlier:

http://www.equine.com/horses-for-sal...2.html#contact

But isn't he built downhill too?
    I don't think the setup for the confo photo did him any favors. He doesn't look too horrendously downhill, but I wouldn't call him "uphill" either

I really like his back end - it looks like he could really power from behind. His trot photos look pretty decent, too.

I am nowhere near an expert, but I think he's nicer than the draftx mare.

1 members found this post helpful.

He looks like he has a nice trot based on the pictures and understands a basic connection with the bit. Temperment being rated a 3 bodes well for his brain too. If I were looking in that price range and he was within 3-4 hours, I would go see him. He sounds promising as a well started, all-around, flashy 4 year old.

I like him also. His topline will improve with work. With his hind leg standing way under his body I think he looks weaker than he is.

i would xray his feet
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

He looks like a great deal if he vets well

In the abstract, I like that horse fine. I stand by my position that a green horse is a BAD idea for your situation at the moment. Also consider that an experienced eventer (as that seller appear's to be) may have a very difference concept of what 3/10 on the temperment scale is than you.

But in a "look at the horse in a vacuum way" in terms of his build/movement/quality I find that pally QH to be easily the most promising of all you've posted so far.

Is 15.1 going to be small for you? It can be a dicey size for re-sale if he's going to be an "English horse." I feel strongly that whatever you choose, whether you listen to anything else we recommend or not, please get something very "resaleable" in case 6 months or more down the line you're in that position again.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

2 members found this post helpful.

I posted that link with some other more seasoned horses that would be a better fit IMO. But he was nice so I posted with the disclaimer "if you must have a green horse this is a nice one". So I'm guessing she does just really want a young greenie but hopefully the help she has on hand is appropriate to help her with one. That said if a greenie is a must for some reason and you have the hope for 2nd this one is far better built for the task you will be asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunsets View Post
    I don't think the setup for the confo photo did him any favors. He doesn't look too horrendously downhill, but I wouldn't call him "uphill" either

I really like his back end - it looks like he could really power from behind. His trot photos look pretty decent, too.

I am nowhere near an expert, but I think he's nicer than the draftx mare.
    For sure.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Also to add to the op. If you can't eye this horse and tell it would be more suitable for the job then the one you posted you may really need an experienced person with this discipline to help guide you to a horse. Pretty is as pretty does and color doesn't mean the world. I knew when bought my paint that he isn't going to be my grand prix prospect but after a year of looking at true grand prix prospect I was happy with him as my order and making to 2nd or 3rd if all goes well. If you truly don't want to be in a position again with an unsuitable horse you really need to find someone to help you. Not trying to be mean but I also agree that if your trainer can only get you to training level that is questionable IMO. 1st is not much different and any decent hunter/jumper, lower level eventing, or even most western trainers could get a horse through 1st. I don't understand why training is a cut off because truthfully intro means nothing much. It's a fun way to get green horses out, or green riders starting or kiddos out. Don't get me wrong i showed my greenie in intro As well and my new guy will start in intro but intro is not by no means a tell to if a horse is going to do well in the next level. Even training. My guy could easily pull mid 70s intro but he was a hard one with the canter and holding himself and reaching. His scores dropped to low and mid 60s for training and first. So that said that 63 you got in intro if you went training with this horse tomorrow, since we know the horse has changes it can canter, you would probably score in the mid 50s. That's not what you want for a 2nd level prospect.

He is cute (the pally QH), looks like a good guy and acceptable mover. I don't know that 4 and "very green" would be the best fit. Are you ready to train a horse? Have you trained a green horse in dressage before?

If you are both just learning - understand that the process may be reduced to an absolute crawl - and be ready to pay a trainer to ride your horse as well as taking very frequent lessons. And do not expect any progress without that.

Training green horses is a special skill, and it requires a strong and confident rider, who has feel - and knows the moment when something is done right (and dispenses reward), and the know how to "open the right doors, and close the wrong ones" in guiding the horse through the learning process. It takes a very in tune and responsive rider to create a well broke horse.

He's very cute. $1500 for horse and spend $1500 for trainer to ride him. He's four and ad says very green. A temperament of 3 sounds promising but honestly you don't know a thing about him, or any of them till you try them and then you still don't know till you have them home.

If you are going to take on a 4 year old, he's a better prospect than an OTTB at for the resources you have .

Quote Originally Posted by Countrywood View Post
    He's very cute. $1500 for horse and spend $1500 for trainer to ride him. He's four and ad says very green. A temperament of 3 sounds promising but honestly you don't know a thing about him, or any of them till you try them and then you still don't know till you have them home.

If you are going to take on a 4 year old, he's a better prospect than an OTTB at for the resources you have .
    Definitely. If the OP buys this horse, she should spend the excess in her budget on a month or two of full training for the horse, and extra lessons for herself.

I don't know where you're located, OP, but Carol Schulz (Lansing area) is an excellent rider and does very well with non-warmbloods, horses that need to be retrained for dressage, and greenies.

I don't "need" or particularly "want" a green horse, however green horses are much easier to come by in my price range then horses with more training. The more I look the scarier it gets, haha.

Without going into huge detail I think what it comes down to is my trainer wants to retire. She is into her 70s and has been giving lessons and training most of her life. I think getting me to training and then passing me on to another trainer is her "end game" plan. Of course that was when I was aiming to make it as far as I could with my lease gelding, so I don't really know what the plan is right now.
    The Blog

You didn't like any of the others I posted before it disappeared? The ones that have been trained or at least wtc and have been out on the trails? Are you looking for something particular? Truthfully if your trainer is that age and wanting to retire sometime I would for sure start getting out there and checking out other trainers.

some qh's are born broke...some not so much.

that guy is probably a little less downhill than my old qh who was schooling 2nd and 3rd movements when he decided he wasn't doing that anymore.

having said that - when we started pushing him, he was also a stubborn cuss and i ended up having a LOT of training put on him, cause i didn't know enuf to do it myself.

ended up being a really good husband horse for a few years after till we retired him.