The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Frog wedge in the Soft Ride boots

We've been looking at getting a pair of Soft Ride boots with the special orthotics. However, the orthotics seem to have a very thick frog support and almost look like they wedge the horse onto its toes. Is that true or does the horse's heel weight down the back?

Why would you want the wedged heel? How does that help a horse that's laminitic compared to a horse that has an abscess compared to a horse that just needs some cushion for a trailer ride?

They don't wedge the horse onto its toes. They offer some support but don't push the toe into the front if the boot. My mare has been in these boots for a few months now - they saved her life. Literally. I was about to put her down due to horrible laminitis in one front foot but my team of vets said to try these first (along w/ ice, bute, stall rest, etc). Just over 24 hours later she was putting full weight on her bad foot. She now just wears them for turnout - not when she's in her stall at night.

The boots are worth the price and the company is great to deal with. You can call them and ask any questions - they are very good at explaining things.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Caveat: I am not an expert on frogs or planters or the different inserts for the soft-ride boots. I just know that the soft-rides work wonders and do it as soon as they are put on the hoof.

I do know, however, that in consultation with my vet and with Debbie at soft-ride, it was determined that the best solution for my horse was the "regular" insert which comes with the soft-ride boots.

So consult your vet and your farrier and Debbie (if she is the soft-ride person still, about 4 yrs ago she called me right back when I left a message, and she was wonderful.) as to what is best for whatever is needed for your horse.

Putting on the soft-rides gives INSTANT relief to hoof problems. After eventgroupie2 mentioned them here, and I bought some, my vet and others have all recommended them for hoof problems.

^^^ This.

My mare is wearing the regular inserts now - she originally wore the ones designed for horses with laminitis. I believe Debbie is the one my vet and I talked to on different occasions - she is extremely helpful!
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

I have had mine for a while and forget what options the pads have. However, I use them for hauling and for shows for my barefoot horses, not for lamiinitis. I used a hacksaw to shave off the raised frog triangles.
    friend of bar.ka

My horse recently diagnosed with acute laminitis The vet make a form for the frog and he is stall bound We are looking into these boots to give this TB time to grow out his hoof as he as just trimmed then came up lame. Any ideas about using soft ride. My insurance person said ones she is aware of did not have success.

When I used the boots for my laminitic guy, we just used the regular teal inserts, not the two tone founder inserts. My vet and farrier made that decision with both types in hand, as I had ordered both. We did trim the frog triangle off as it protruded too much. The boots worked well enough for him, the problem I had was that his feet are different so ordering one pair in one size meant one boot was a little big and would spin. I had to wrap his foot with a vet wrap "sock" to fit. I also had to spray raplast on the Velcro as he is a mouthy warmblood and would pull on them. In the end, he only wore them until stable enough to apply shoes with pads. I honestly didn't feel the boots were any more effective than the foam and gorilla tape pads we started with, but certainly more convenient to put on and remove.

I have a pair for my laminitic (hope we're over i t) older gelding. I put it on the "bad" foot so the better foot can be trimmed. He was also wearing them in his stall and run, but he'd started walking on his heels and would walk out of the boot.

When he could wear them, he was much more comfortable than without. His foot shape has changed quite a bit, though, so they don't fit right now. I'm hoping that the farrier can take off flares and the long toes he's grown so that he can wear them more often.

I've always wrapped the horses' hooves in vet wrap when they wear boots; otherwise it seems that they always rub the heel bulbs. Somebody (easy boot?) makes an insert that protects the back of the foot.