The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

It's very hard to want to volunteer when the penalties for abusers are so.. non-existent??? People work hard to get horses taken away from people, rehabilitated, and rehomed.. just for the idiots to go get more horses!!!

10 members found this post helpful.

FWIW, I only called the one AC officer an idiot. Because he was. Long story short, there were many times he failed animals even when laws were broken. It took an act of a news crew to get him to do something about a bunch of starving horses abandoned in a field. I've met other AC officers who are wonderful. This one was not.
    Last edited by Capall; Aug. 17, 2013 at 11:42 PM. Reason: It's just not worth it.

2 members found this post helpful.

perhaps it's time for states to require AC to learn basic horsemanship??

It's the same in CT, at least in one town. when we first got into horses we associated with the only person we knew who owned some, she did the same-- kept one of ours in a stall, with a blanket on, all winter. we were fresh into horse ownership, and as he was mean in the stall we didn't go in there with him. spring came and he was still in the stall, still had a blanket on,,,,,,long story trying to get him out of there, but we eventually got the sheriff involved, moved him to another barn, had the vet out to check him over. when we took the blanket off--- if he was a 2 on the scale we were lucky. The vet himself said the only reason he would not call the authorities is because the other horses we had that were in our care were all fat and healthy. Vet worked with us on a careful feeding program and pretty soon horse was doing well.

Point to the story is that this person also had a team of Percherons that I know for a fact weighed 2025 and 2075 lbs when she picked them up, a year later they were both dead of starvation. I personally called AC in her town multiple times. AC would go out, but as long as there was a flake of hay and a bucket of almost clean water, nothing to be done. it's absolutely mind boggling.

It's been my experience that what gets things done is to call the state police. I called on another horse, maybe a 2.5 on the scale-- had been brought in to my trainer's barn AS A SALE HORSE. Owner just would not recognize that anything was wrong with him. I called AC in that town, who told me "if it's really an emergency call the staties" which I did. Met a VERY NICE officer who only had a little horse knowledge, but who was very willing to listen and learn from those of us who knew what we were talking about, and within two/three days the state vet had been in to evaluate, that original horse was seized, also another at a different sale barn, and TWO more at owner's property.

like others, I think it's one thing to call AC and have the person with questionable weight animals be given time to rectify the situation, but after a few months/multiple calls, if AC isn't doing anything, calls to other authorities have to be made. and made some more, until SOMEONE finally steps up and gets serious. and if AC isn't as knowledgeable as they need to be, then pushing for education for them might be at least one thing that could be done....

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post
    It's very hard to want to volunteer when the penalties for abusers are so.. non-existent??? People work hard to get horses taken away from people, rehabilitated, and rehomed.. just for the idiots to go get more horses!!!
    Yes,but it makes a difference for that horse. Starfish principle.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

3 members found this post helpful.

I really think education is the way to go, both for the officers AND the abusers.

Owners and officers need to recognize that there are individual differences among the horses themselves that make best feeding practices different on a horse by horse basis.

I have read on here about AC officers that cited based on the lack of feed in a stall - bucket empty and no hay - where at my house I would pass with flying colors for the old guy because he NEVER finishes his concentrates or his hay - and I'd get busted for the pony, who licks and hoovers up everything. The old guy needs the attention and needs at least biweekly followup, not just some snapshot in time. He's the hard keeper and he can get thin what seems like overnight.

We're a nation of individualists and we can all go out and get too many horses and get overwhelmed way too fast, then it's all reactive response and sometimes too late. I don't want to advocate the nanny state but somewhere there has to be a happy medium, if we're going to allow an abuser to just acquire more horses, or ignore that makes no sense. The money we spend chasing these guys and rehabilitating their victims would be far better spent on nutrition education for the common man - flyers at feedstores, continuing education that is simple, easy to get to and CHEAP.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Whatever happened to http://speakupforhorses.org/ they had a GREAT education program aimed at LE to help them identify neglect and abuse. Is it still active??? luvmytbs would know...
    Do other rescue organizations have anything like that?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    I really think education is the way to go, both for the officers AND the abusers.

Owners and officers need to recognize that there are individual differences among the horses themselves that make best feeding practices different on a horse by horse basis.

I have read on here about AC officers that cited based on the lack of feed in a stall - bucket empty and no hay - where at my house I would pass with flying colors for the old guy because he NEVER finishes his concentrates or his hay - and I'd get busted for the pony, who licks and hoovers up everything. The old guy needs the attention and needs at least biweekly followup, not just some snapshot in time. He's the hard keeper and he can get thin what seems like overnight.

We're a nation of individualists and we can all go out and get too many horses and get overwhelmed way too fast, then it's all reactive response and sometimes too late. I don't want to advocate the nanny state but somewhere there has to be a happy medium, if we're going to allow an abuser to just acquire more horses, or ignore that makes no sense. The money we spend chasing these guys and rehabilitating their victims would be far better spent on nutrition education for the common man - flyers at feedstores, continuing education that is simple, easy to get to and CHEAP.
    The problem is, some of these people ARE educated and they STILL don't keep feed or hay on hand while they STILL acquire horses. I have known at least two of these and no amount of calling and reporting got anything done.

5 members found this post helpful.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    Whatever happened to http://speakupforhorses.org/ they had a GREAT education program aimed at LE to help them identify neglect and abuse. Is it still active??? luvmytbs would know...
    Do other rescue organizations have anything like that?
    Yes it is. From the website:

How To Recognize Equine Abuse And Neglect
    Through the generous support of the ASPCA, My Racing Heart, and an anonymous donor, Speak Up is busy training Kentucky law enforcement and elected officials in "How to Recognize Equine Abuse and Neglect". This program is free of charge and we will travel to you to accommodate your busy schedules. We encourage interested veterinarians, horse owners and enthusiasts to attend any one of our classes. Contact Shelly for more information or to schedule training in your Kentucky county. *The program is free! Learn how to use Kentucky law to help abused and neglected horses. Training program in the media.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Yes it is. From the website:

How To Recognize Equine Abuse And Neglect
    Through the generous support of the ASPCA, My Racing Heart, and an anonymous donor, Speak Up is busy training Kentucky law enforcement and elected officials in "How to Recognize Equine Abuse and Neglect". This program is free of charge and we will travel to you to accommodate your busy schedules. We encourage interested veterinarians, horse owners and enthusiasts to attend any one of our classes. Contact Shelly for more information or to schedule training in your Kentucky county. *The program is free! Learn how to use Kentucky law to help abused and neglected horses. Training program in the media.
    That sounds like a great program! Let's hope it will one day reach out beyond Kentucky!

Bluebonnet in Texas was doing some education for AC/LE in their area. I believe they have wanted to expand that program but financing the cost has been one of the key blockages for that.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Well, LauraKY, I can't say I knew a thing about them but I liked them on Fb and invited a friend as well. Sounds like an excellent program.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Just wanted you all to know she has been cleared of ALL charges. That's right, NOT GUILTY!!!! So all of the bashing you did was all in vain, and since you don't truly know her, you should all be ashamed of what you said about her. Considering all of the statements made about her on this forum were based on hear say. I certainly hope none of you EVER are falsely accused of anything like this!!! The TRUTH was told today and ALL is well once again!!

Way to resurrect an old thread. Now you have put this person back in the front of my mind as someone not to buy a horse from, ever.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahlygirl View Post
    Just wanted you all to know she has been cleared of ALL charges. That's right, NOT GUILTY!!!! So all of the bashing you did was all in vain, and since you don't truly know her, you should all be ashamed of what you said about her. Considering all of the statements made about her on this forum were based on hear say. I certainly hope none of you EVER are falsely accused of anything like this!!! The TRUTH was told today and ALL is well once again!!

Welcome to the forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

5 members found this post helpful.

Only thing it proved is that Pa sucks in terms of animal cruelty convictions.

17 members found this post helpful.

Hey troll, do not for one moment think she has been vindicated. Getting off scott free only indicates that laws regarding animal welfare are weak at best, a travesty at worst. You trumpeting her innocence puts you front and center in the travesty corner. Are you all cozy in your shared existence which includes animals suffering? Shame on you!

18 members found this post helpful.

do you always refer to yourself in the third person? it's like The Jimmy.

How's the blind filly doing?

16 members found this post helpful.

After rescuing over 50 horses, you'd think she'd have figured out how to feed them.

Those poor animals. Stuck with a hoarder.

7 members found this post helpful.

I'm only going to post once and hopefully the news and the Press Enterprise are going to cover the story in it's entirety. Be careful who you use in your equine profession. Today not only was I found not guilty, but it was obvious to the judge that this was nothing but malicious intent to hurt me. One horse was put down after she went down and the vet did nothing in the afternoon to try to save her. Nothing. She walked off the farm when the mare's temperature would not register. The owner went to work. Yes we lost the mare and I tried my best. The other four counts were also not warranted.

This picture was taken of one horse seven days after the one day investigation
    http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/e...psd371645a.png

This was taken just 17 days before
    http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/e...psfef2adab.png

And this is one of the bred mares just 4 weeks after being deemed as starved
    http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/e...psbcca98e2.png

The State Trooper came out ONE time the day after the mare was put down. He admitted that in court and also admitted that the complaint by the vet was the reason he came out and it was obvious to him this vet did not like me. Other testimonies by other vets today confirmed this was not a neglect case. Hay and grain receipts were provided. Suppliers were questioned by the police a and it all was found to be as I had supplied to them.

I can't change your minds, but you can see by the pictures just how emaciated the animals were I was charged with. These ARE the animals! Instead of jumping on me, you should question the vet and her practice. She let that poor mare down that day and also me and the owner. She wasted tax paying dollars today and possibly animals suffered as three vets were gone for six hours during trial and transit time. It did not take the judge more then 30 seconds after closing statements.

My animals had heated electric automatic waterers, shelter, stalls, hay and grain. They had dental care and also farrier work done. The fecals taken March 2 were all negative. They were not neglected.

I've had nothing but support locally. I held horse camps all summer, and had lessons weekly. Why did no one say anything? Because the animals were fine that were in my care.

“Never explain -- your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway.”
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

Yay Maria! So glad that everything has been cleared
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain