The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

It's amazing how some people have no clue. With my own experience at a local farm up here, I caught my guy losing weight in Feb. The place was beautiful when I moved in. Always very clean, good mowed pastures, grew their own hay. When he started to slide, offered to pay extra for him to get the unlimited hay he was entitled to in the first place under the board contract. BO dug in. It was suggested my guy had worms, or another condition. No, he always needed plenty to eat, and just because they hadn't been on pasture all winter, and he required more than a half bale a day during 24 hr turnout in subfreezing temps, doesn't mean you aren't supposed to feed him. Got him outta there and back up to good weight within a month at new place. Honest to God, I think people think animals/horses are sustained on what is present at any time. What sparked my comment is the fact that of course he wore a blanket. Why my BO couldn't see it either. Look under the blanket, and at the ribs under the winter coat!!!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinadreamin' View Post
    Hey, aspen, we know you're reading this thread. You're disgusting for what you've done to those horses. Shame on you.
    Get off your derriere and go take care of the horses under your care! Turn off the computer and quit following the thread...come back when the horses are fed, sound and trained.

3 members found this post helpful.

My head was spinning from the other thread about the blind filly.
    MB, your initial comments were right on...

Now to read this, and find out who the poster is. This kind of stuff just makes me sick.
    I am the kind of person who takes people at face value. Sometimes(always) I have to remind myself that some people do live behind a fa├žade.
    Watching the interview though made me especially ill.
    Rule number 1 in blanketing...remove the blanket at least weekly to evaluate the weight of your horse. If you can't do that accurately, get a tape measure and measure and record to determine if horse is gaining, maintaining or losing weight. With a rescued or new to me horse, I'd most likely do it more often, weekly being minimal time.

Oh why are there so many idiot people out there.
    And aspen, Maria, I will say this, it is totally your fault about that filly. Absolutely no excuse whatsoever to have a horse who born on your property under your care get to the point where it is feral. Feral = wild, and wild happens when an animal is not cared for.
    Get some help Aspen maria.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

10 members found this post helpful.

Aspen, Maria, what a beautiful example you set for your daughters!!! wow...
    and your goats? are they starving too?
    shame, shame,shame on you.

The other thread about the blind filly makes me think of "Munchausens By Internet". Lots of dragged out drama and excuses and no really good end to the answers and input given.

Lets just pray the filly was seized and finally someone will take care of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Who knows what experience level these boarders were?
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

whatever the circumstances, it is sad.
    This is so true. Another "trainer" in my old area has been reported to the SPCA, she's had horses DIE and a VET reported her, she gives a song and dance about how she "rescues" them. All her personal horses are thin and ribby, her self care boarders (but if they have good quality alfalfa, they store it elsewhere so she doesn't steal it).

SPCA is on notice. It's disgusting. She has a horrible reputation (deservedly) so it is baffling WHY people associate and board with her. Can they really not tell how bad the horses look? Can't they see that FED horses look decent in self care at her barn? Or is it bad character on the boarders part because they want that discount board so badly?

Horse/animal negligence is dreadful. The associates who turn a blind eye can be just as bad as the abusers (that's what they are).

I encourage boarders to educate themselves and be an advocate for animals, even if they aren't yours.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

The feral 'blind' filly thread. She was considering getting a sharpshooter rather than a vet

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ht=blind+filly

The comments under that article are interesting. So many for and only one against.

Are there any photos of the skinny horses prior to following the feeding plan (one would think a barn owner would not need a feeding plan but...)?

Just another collector. As you can read in the vet's notes on the video, "Paddocks would not support grass in the warmer weather with the density of horses..."

The body scores were 2/9, 2-3/9, 3/9, 2-3/9, 4/9, and 2/9.

Didn't think the horses at around :30 in looked good...
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    The feral 'blind' filly thread. She was considering getting a sharpshooter rather than a vet

She was considering it but apparently did nothing and the feral filly is still suffering.

1 members found this post helpful.

difficult to fathom

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post

When is mbm going to come on this thread to defend her and chastise the rest of you ?

11 members found this post helpful.

yes we a lways deserve a good scolding from mbm apparently.

In fact some of us are just not as gullible as mbm and when it comes to the welfare of the horse that is always more important than the posters widdle feelings.

very interesting that it was primarily boarders' horses or only boarders' horses who were being neglected. HMMM. So much for poor me bad winter,etc
    Last edited by Crockpot; Aug. 14, 2013 at 10:04 AM.

8 members found this post helpful.

Why hasn't CoTH banned her? I remember a few years back there was another member who also starved her horses. She was on the news, SPCA and social services were both involved as she had a lot of issues besides the horses. Several CoTHers were trying to help her and the animals but she was pretty disturbed. Finally after a few weeks and pages of similar threads, she was banned. Curious as to why Aspen isn't banned yet....

different mods...
    When I think of all the drama when she wanted to purchase the farm she was renting.... shame on you. Feed your horses!
    If that is what your kids are learning...

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post

When is mbm going to come on this thread to defend her and chastise the rest of you ?
    Let them bring their best. There is no defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Chachie View Post
    Why hasn't CoTH banned her? I remember a few years back there was another member who also starved her horses. She was on the news, SPCA and social services were both involved as she had a lot of issues besides the horses. Several CoTHers were trying to help her and the animals but she was pretty disturbed. Finally after a few weeks and pages of similar threads, she was banned. Curious as to why Aspen isn't banned yet....
    coth, thankfully does not ban threads that report someone being a jerk. They only shut down threads if someone is being a jerk to other posters...and you'd have to be pretty bad. In other words, coth does allow for healthy and heated discussions.
    Personally, I am thankful to read posts like this. Not that it happens, but that people are outed. I tend to be gullible and believe people. Many on coth, and they have my respect, are excellent at sleuthing, and have great critical skills and smell something way before I would even be aware of anything being out of the ordinary.
    So, when threads like this come along, it reminds me to get out of my Pollyanna head that people are good. As I get along, I think I have been very fortunate to have met many kind people, but in the last few years, I have met my share that took advantage of my good nature and screwed me...most financially.
    These threads remind me to be a bit more on top of the game, instead of being the schmuck.
    With animals, I am more attuned to dishonest horse people, so haven't been swindles too badly, except by shady ac4h and a few others who saw my bleeding heart coming a mile away.
    Now, and because of that, and because I run my own rescue(LOL), I just don't have time or room or money. I am just plain turned off.
    Ok, off tangent, but do want to thank the mods, since its a good reminder that
    1. we do have wolves in our midst
    2. hopefully it will deter others from being deceptive...cothers will catch you! and burn you at the stake...and you will deserve it.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

6 members found this post helpful.

Can someone explain to me how you linked the person IRL from the article to the COTH threads? (I am just missing it, I know there is something that makes complete sense!) Thanks!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

When I saw the farm name I knew I'd seen it somewhere before... Google (and CoTH Search functionality) is your friend...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

1 members found this post helpful.