The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Fivehorses, I think Chachie was asking why they hadn't banned Aspenlucas, not why they hadn't shut down the thread.

But the answer is still pretty much the same. Aspen hasn't done anything that would break the board rules. The law? Yes.

On another train of thought, I too wonder where MBM is. Having been on the receiving end of one of her scoldings, I sure hope she's reading and realizing that sometimes there is a reason for the pile on. Heck, she used to defend Jill Burnell. I understand her heart tells her to stick up for "the underdog", but sometimes "the underdog"...isn't.

I'm heartbroken for Aspen's horses over this. I feel duped into thinking she was a horseman.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Grrr. Someone should post a link to this thread in the comments. I won't do it because you have to give all your personal information to be able to log in. I'm shocked that people agree to that.
    Well feel free to use my info to link it.

And that blind filly is still suffering? The one laurierace offered to go help? OMG!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Can someone explain to me how you linked the person IRL from the article to the COTH threads? (I am just missing it, I know there is something that makes complete sense!) Thanks!
    No man is an Island, especially when you have business information online.
    It is rather easy to track people across the net if you are so inclined. I know I am leaving bread crumbs everywhere even though I hardly ever give out personal details.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

I knew the name. I think when she posted FB pictures, the name appeared. I could not remember the user name, but I sure knew who she was.

Lots of people talk a good game online. I talked for years with a gal who had me convinced she was a Friesian breeder, even though I could never find anything about her farm online. This was quite a while ago, late 90's, so not everybody was online, and so I bought it. She talked like a knowledgeable person, she clearly had trained and shown horses - there's only so much you can fake. But then she slipped and forwarded me something from her other e-mail with her real name on it and it turned out with a little investigation that she didn't have a single horse, and despite her claims of being a wealthy person, was actually a poor person. I guess her online life was her way of compensating. At least in that situation, there were no horses - as opposed to there being starving horses! But I would not feel too bad about being fooled - it is easy to get fooled. Just be glad you never sent her a horse!

3 members found this post helpful.

So f-ing disgusting. It takes next to zero effort to keep tabs on a horse's weight. At my house in the winter anyone who doesn't get ridden (so the old guy and the 2 y.o) get blankets taken off at least every other day. I weight tape once a week and log it on the board. I have weight records going back 6 months so that I can keep track of trends. That maaaaaybe takes me 20 minutes a week combined, probably not even that. It just baffles me that someone keeps animals around that they clearly don't give two s@*%$ about. Why? I'm sure they're still some amount of work, even if you're neglecting them. And even for a sad excuse for a human being like her it can't be a pleasant thing to look out at fields of starving horses... I just can't comprehend.

4 members found this post helpful.

I've never weight taped a horse. Despite that, in 30 + years of horses, I've yet to starve one.

Keeping the average horse in good flesh is easy as eating lettuce. Assuming one bothers to do the task.

17 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    I've never weight taped a horse. Despite that, in 30 + years of horses, I've yet to starve one.

Keeping the average horse in good flesh is easy as eating lettuce. Assuming one bothers to do the task.
    as easy as eating chips, really...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

My mare is *still* recovering from her starvation episode, months later. I have ZERO TOLERANCE for people who do these sorts of things! And how many people have to turn a blind eye?? If there are boarders and lesson students and what have you??

Shocking, sad, inexcusable.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    My mare is *still* recovering from her starvation episode, months later. I have ZERO TOLERANCE for people who do these sorts of things! And how many people have to turn a blind eye?? If there are boarders and lesson students and what have you??

Shocking, sad, inexcusable.
    There are too many boarders and students in too many places that still believe in "old horse" excuse.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennywell Bay View Post
    This is so true. Another "trainer" in my old area has been reported to the SPCA, she's had horses DIE and a VET reported her, she gives a song and dance about how she "rescues" them. All her personal horses are thin and ribby, her self care boarders (but if they have good quality alfalfa, they store it elsewhere so she doesn't steal it).

SPCA is on notice. It's disgusting. She has a horrible reputation (deservedly) so it is baffling WHY people associate and board with her. Can they really not tell how bad the horses look? Can't they see that FED horses look decent in self care at her barn? Or is it bad character on the boarders part because they want that discount board so badly?

Horse/animal negligence is dreadful. The associates who turn a blind eye can be just as bad as the abusers (that's what they are).

I encourage boarders to educate themselves and be an advocate for animals, even if they aren't yours.
    Ugh it makes me SICK that there is more than one like that out there! She called herself a "rescue" even though some of the "rescues" had been there for years and were her own personal horses- and were still way too thin. She also ran a "lesson" program. On these "rescued" horses. One lady I saw was riding a poor mare that you could literally see every vertebrae from tail to poll. She also once sold a pregnant unbroke pony mare to people who had no clue about horses for their five year old daughter. The kicker? She didn't tell them the pony was pregnant.

When they first moved into the area, I worked feeding and cleaning for a few months. It started out OK, but then when the psycho husband got on me about feeding the horses "too much" and when once he screamed at me that I HAD to get on top of the massive stack of alfalfa via a rickety ancient ladder and knock it down when I was there all by myself (rather than feed the readily available oat hay for one meal!) I asked him what would happen if I fell off and was hurt, and no one was there? He said "And what if *I* was there and you fell off? There's nothing I could do for you!" I was dumbfounded. I said "Well you could apply basic first aid and call 911 and I would think that a COP would know that!" That was the last straw for me and I left. In the months that followed, more and more horses were being brought in, and less and less hay was being fed. An 18'2hh TB that was fed ONE flake of alfalfa, twice a day. Small flakes. Like, 5-6lbs! I knew all this because I boarded my horse next door and knew some people from over there. AC was called constantly, but the "they are rescues of COURSE they are skinny!" excuse was always given, believed and because there was food and water on the premises, they always left. Oh! Don't get me started on how one day the lady came running down the hill telling me not to water the horses because then she wouldn't have enough water for a shower! This was shortly before I left, and one of the things that pushed me over that edge. I felt bad for the horses and yes, I watered anyway and I fed as much as those horses needed. It was hard to leave, knowing that they wouldn't be cared for in the same way.

For some clarity, I saw the poor skinny horse being ridden after I stopped working there. The pregnant pony mare? If I had known the whole situation while they were there (that the pony was pregnant, that the parents knew nothing and that it was for a five year old girl) I would have tipped them off somehow. I also probably should have left sooner but like I said, I felt bad for the horses and knew I was the only one really giving them care.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Yup. My 23 yr old blanket-wearing mare never gets weight taped, I don't even know how to do that, but thus far she has remained unstarved.
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

1 members found this post helpful.

It's disgusting how this happens over and over and people are still "in business". Their customers can't see how skinny and unkept the "pros" horses are compared to others, esp when they go to shows? People who turn a blind eye are just as guilty. Same as people who keep supplying the offenders with business and buying their crap. This is a hot button for me.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennywell Bay View Post
    It's disgusting how this happens over and over and people are still "in business". Their customers can't see how skinny and unkept the "pros" horses are compared to others, esp when they go to shows? People who turn a blind eye are just as guilty. Same as people who keep supplying the offenders with business and buying their crap. This is a hot button for me.
    I'm right there with you.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Of course,letting them get so overweight that they founder is just as cruel...

7 members found this post helpful.

The weight tape was a suggestion for those who can't judge weight.
    I have used one occasionally to remind myself about a particular horses weight for meds, etc
    It's another tool.
    I have rehabbed a few horses, one in pArticular was a 1-2 per the vet. Which is another point...get the vet involved so if aco shows up you have documentation that the horse just arrived.
    Weight gain is not rocket science...hay will do it. Grain helps but it's hay that puts on the weight.
    Capall I am sorry you had that experience and I hope you have contacted the authorities to assist the. In prosecution. You will be relieved stepping up vs staying quiet.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm not dismissing the idea, fivehorses, not at all. I am just expressing (badly) my frustration with Aspenlucas' apparent inability to only own - or board!?!-what she can afford to FEED. Putting out hay is not rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    There are too many boarders and students in too many places that still believe in "old horse" excuse.
    Let me introduce you to my 1978 Appaloosa/QH cross mare:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-d...8-no/Kerry.JPG

(Please excuse the burrs in her forelock - she's constantly getting into them which makes grooming a hour long daily ritual... Grrr - Grey Horse Syndrome)

I think she should be the poster child for how all horses should age. This is the horse that I show to all those people who buy into the "Old horses are just skinny" crap.

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fivehorses View Post
    The weight tape was a suggestion for those who can't judge weight.
    I have used one occasionally to remind myself about a particular horses weight for meds, etc
    It's another tool.

Exactly, it's a very helpful tool for certain horses. I've been doing this for 26+ years. I'm not a newbie and I can certainly tell a horse who is in good weight... Personally, I started using it as a way to get ahead of weight loss in my oldster when he started having a harder time keeping it on. It's turned out to be a helpful way to see trends so that I can plan ahead. Thanks to the previous 3+ years of record keeping I now know exactly what times of year he tends to drop a bit and I've been able to get out ahead of that and keep him at a rock steady weight with next to no fluctuation. He turned 30 this year and looks great so I must be doing something right For the youngster... Well I just started doing him because I'm doing his buddy anyway and it's fun to see how much he's grown... Akin to the height measurements a lot of parents do

My point was... I know that I do more than most people probably do (I'm a bit type A), but even that takes next to no time. There is no excuse for not peeking under the damn blanket. You don't even have to take it off, just pull the thing up. Simply disgusting that she couldn't even bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Let me introduce you to my 1978 Appaloosa/QH cross mare:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-d...8-no/Kerry.JPG

(Please excuse the burrs in her forelock - she's constantly getting into them which makes grooming a hour long daily ritual... Grrr - Grey Horse Syndrome)

I think she should be the poster child for how all horses should age. This is the horse that I show to all those people who buy into the "Old horses are just skinny" crap.
    WOW, she looks fantastic! Its those hardy old stock horse bloodlines (and loving care obviously ). My 1983 model is a hardy old guy too. This is him at the tail end of a pretty cold/wet winter this year. I hope he's still around and looking fabulous at 35 too!