The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I have now, officially, seen it all!

I am in a Facebook group for local horses and an ad just came across my news feed that irritated me! A lady is re-homing her "precious baby" that she has owned 11 years. He has an old hip injury so can only be ridden by small adults or kids. He also needs an experienced rider. She must re-home him, because in her words, her rescue business has grown and she does not have time. She does claim there is a contract but I am scratching my head of the following things:

Needs and experienced rider but would be good for kids
    Her precious baby??
    Rescue business?

Maybe I am just grumpy today but wow!

5 members found this post helpful.

Maybe he could still be a good riding horse for someone instead of doing nothing at her rescue.
    Maybe she wants an 'experienced' rider because she doesn't want to send this horse to clueless/beginner people?

Most rescue places try to rehab the good horses.
    This one is only 11yrs old, it might give a small adult/kid a good horse and make room for an older one in needs.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    Maybe he could still be a good riding horse for someone instead of doing nothing at her rescue.
    Maybe she wants an 'experienced' rider because she doesn't want to send this horse to clueless/beginner people?

Most rescue places try to rehab the good horses.
    This one is only 11yrs old, it might give a small adult/kid a good horse and make room for an older one in needs.

I thought about that but it is just the wording of the ad. I would cut and paste it but I can't on my iPad.

Basically, the horse is 15 and she owned him for 11years. He was her personal horse not a rescue. He has an old hip injury and she really wants him to go to a child but he needs an experienced rider. The ad just sounded like, time for him to go! I wonder if he could handle more activity if she would be letting him go.

Like I said, I am a bit grumpy today so that might be why it struck me wrong.

Why does he need any rider? He sounds like a candidate for pasture pet to me. Why is she not willing to keep him as an ornament?

Why do people take on horses with the idea that when they are old or lame, someone will take the horse off their hands? Do they treat their pets that way? Their family?

I would think this would considerably undermine her credibility as a "rescue" for horses.

2 members found this post helpful.

If she has a "rescue business," why can't she just rescue her own horse and let him live in her own pasture?
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

4 members found this post helpful.

The problem with a horse with his temperament needing an experienced rider is that an experienced kid is not going to just want to do walk-trot on him. An experienced kid is most likely going to want to do jumping or barrel racing or something more straining on a horse.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cindyg View Post
    If she has a "rescue business," why can't she just rescue her own horse and let him live in her own pasture?
    The fact that she refers to her rescue operation as a "business" is probably a big clue.

I hope people in that FB group are asking her these same questions.

Really frosts me when people are getting rid of their horses or their dogs and "insist on a fur-ever home." Why? YOU obviously didn't provide one.