The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Companies That Hire Felons?

I have been a lurker on COTH for quite awhile and some of the OT Day threads and posts have given me hope of finding some helpful info here. I have some horse-related questions for another day, but while it is OT Day I really want to ask this.

Do any of you know of any companies that actually hire convicted felons? I am talking about people whose cases are closed and are back in the world, leading good lives and trying to earn a living.

I have seen lists of such companies online but not all of them actually hire people with criminal records, and some that do find reasons to let them go.

I know COTHers have a lot of experience in a lot of areas and have different kinds of helpful info, so I am asking for help.

Please feel free to PM me if you don't want to reply here.

I am asking for a very good friend of mine who would love to be given a second chance at making a living for the rest of their life.

1 members found this post helpful.

I think it depends on what the person did. If it involved fraud/theft, violent crime, you probably won't get hired where you would be dealing with customers, money or goods that have value. If it was drugs, you won't be hired where you would have access to drugs (nursing homecare, pharmacy, etc). But drug offenses are pretty ok in many other fields, if you are able to pass a drug test now.

I worked at a place that seemed to have the policy that you had to be a) convicted, b) on parole or c) have outstanding warrants...made for fun times when half your crew dove into the pansies when the sheriff drove by...

I think it is not supposed to be a discriminating factor...but we all know how that works.

Good luck for your friends (I am assuming) on finding something past ditch digger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Many of the national fitness club chains will hire someone with a felony record. I worked in the operations side of LA Fitness for 5 years - it was amazing how many of the sales staff had rather extensive arrest records. It almost seemed as though they viewed jail time as a resume builder.

2 members found this post helpful.

I know of one convicted felon (drugs) at Intuit when i worked there. I think he was hired when the facility was owned by Best Programs though
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I've waitressed at a couple of national chain restuarants and more than one of the cooks were in the work release program.

OP- any specific area of training/skills?

From experience, a lot of construction companies, chain restaurant (as mentioned above) or "labor" type of work (working in nurseries, etc) are more open to accept various backgrounds...
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

I knew a b&b owner who hired felons and iirc he made them pee in a cup weekly to keep their job. they cooked and cleaned and ddi odd jobs around the place and he may have given them rooms to live in as well.
    I think it was part of a work release program.

I would guess probably most companies would consider the skills of the applicant in conjunction with what they actually did, how old they were, etc.

The company I work for does extensive background checks. I'm not aware of any co-workers with criminal records, though I can think of a couple that it wouldn't surprise me. It's probably a bit much to hope for hire directly out of the pen, but if there's an honest work record that indicates increasing skill and responsibility, I guess I'd be surprised if your friend was ruled out as a candidate based on exclusively on an old felony.

What skills does s/he have? And what are they doing for work now? You might get more suggestions or advice if you shared that. And is your friend willing to start lower on the ladder and work twice as hard? That makes a difference, too. No one wants to deal with a victim. I personally view people who got caught doing stupid crap who then complain about the unfairness of getting caught and its associated consequences as being HIGHLY likely to repeat their stupid crap on account of having that stupid backward-looking attitude.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it." - Agent K, MIB

In Atlanta, I had friends who were ACLU lawyers who had job referral services for felons. They helped find jobs for them. And there are state and city and county agencies there which help felons reenter society.

Plus the churches all helped. People who own businesses who are members of the big churches would hire felons. And as people have said, the restaurants hired felons. It's a way to reenter society and make a record of hard work, abet at a low level.

Half way houses and diversion centers in my state require that the prisoners work, and help them find jobs. Your friend might ask the prison system if there is a list of companies who will hire felons.

I was sitting waiting for my oil to be changed one day when a guy (convicted felon) came in looking for work. I sent him over to the manager of a resort. manager was husband of one of my horsey friends. He hired the guy as a groundskeeper on one of the golf courses. I don't know if he stayed on that job, as my friend's husband got a better gig at a resort in Alabama, so they moved a few months later. So tell you friend to try working on a golf course or something like that to get his resume built up to get a better job.

I think that the positions are out there but the opportunities depend on the type of conviction. If violent, it will likely be a lot harder than if for say...fraud or drugs.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I worked retail at a local chain. They hired felons because they got tax breaks for it. They didn't even stop after some stole brand new tires from their tire shop. Another stole a box truck and tried to ditch it 1,000 miles away before he got caught. It didn't seem like a good idea because they would hire anyone regardless of their crime (drugs, violent, sex, etc.) to work with customers.

The jobs are out there. I know of at least one trucking company around here that does and they've had good results. I know theft is definitely out since they're driving super expensive equipment
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

DH works for a software company, and they had at least one employee (computer progammer) who was convicted on some sort of drug related charge(s) before they hired him. He did end up getting fired, but only after he didn't show up for work for a few days after getting pulled over with drugs in his car, which violated his parole and landed him in jail again. Had he stayed at least functionally clean and showed up for work, it would have been a non-issue.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Any place that does not do background checks. Restaurants, landscaping companies, construction companies, horse trainers
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Business degree.

Drugs charge.

Good solid business experience prior to conviction.

Rehabbed and absolutely clean ever since.

Currently doing office work in a very stressful environment (working for friend), no advancement opps, no benefits. Very grateful to be working indoors not digging ditches, etc. Just ... would like "to make some sort of positive contribution to the world" sort of work. And earn enough to have a decent place to live. Just have a life again without daily reminders that "you screwed up big time" and "I'm giving you a great break, so you better not screw up any task I assign you." Tired of constantly licking the boots of the boss who holds the carrot and the whip.

Ok based upon our PMs, you want to hire the type of lawyer I suggested, then get:

1. pardon by governor (or by president if it was federal conviction.)

2. then get the record expunged in court where conviction was had.

While the conviction still could be found with searching the right places, the pardon will make a world of difference in getting a job and in fitting into society.

Most drugs should be legalized. The rest should be decriminalized. In my experience as a prosecutor for decades, alcohol is a far worse drug than most of the drugs I dealt with.

3 members found this post helpful.

Drug or felony charges will keep you out of Government jobs that require a clearance. I do know a few agencies that have relaxed their rules about pot smoking (in the past), but I doubt they would overlook a drug-related arrest record.
    ETA: Good luck OP. I hope someone gives you a leg up.
    You are what you dare.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
    Business degree.

Just ... would like "to make some sort of positive contribution to the world" sort of work. And earn enough to have a decent place to live. Just have a life again without daily reminders that "you screwed up big time" and "I'm giving you a great break, so you better not screw up any task I assign you." Tired of constantly licking the boots of the boss who holds the carrot and the whip.
    How long has this friend been in the current office job?

What kinds of tasks does this person receive that are different from what others in their position are doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
    Business degree.

Drugs charge.

Good solid business experience prior to conviction.

Rehabbed and absolutely clean ever since.

Currently doing office work in a very stressful environment (working for friend), no advancement opps, no benefits. Very grateful to be working indoors not digging ditches, etc. Just ... would like "to make some sort of positive contribution to the world" sort of work. And earn enough to have a decent place to live. Just have a life again without daily reminders that "you screwed up big time" and "I'm giving you a great break, so you better not screw up any task I assign you." Tired of constantly licking the boots of the boss who holds the carrot and the whip.
    A close friend of mine battled with heroin addiction for years, and all the things that come with it (arrests for possession, theft, etc.). He ended up getting clean (7 years and running now!); and he currently works with a company that places addicts into much needed treatment. Additionally, he stood up and owns his own company, which compliments the other one he works for. He's incredibly, INCREDIBLY successful; and he is making that kind positive contribution to the world that your friend wants to make.

Tell your friend to think outside of the box. If he/she has been clean and sober for some time now, I'd imagine that they would have a solid support network from AA/NA, etc... these people (friends) are invaluable in not only encouraging each other to do better and reach farther; but they also [from what I've witnessed] help each other out as much as they possibly can when it comes to getting their lives together.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    Ok based upon our PMs, you want to hire the type of lawyer I suggested, then get:

1. pardon by governor (or by president if it was federal conviction.)

2. then get the record expunged in court where conviction was had.

While the conviction still could be found with searching the right places, the pardon will make a world of difference in getting a job and in fitting into society.

Most drugs should be legalized. The rest should be decriminalized. In my experience as a prosecutor for decades, alcohol is a far worse drug than most of the drugs I dealt with.
    Totally agree, cloudyandcallie.
    Quote Originally Posted by sofa View Post
    tomorrow i wear tight t-shirt that says peaches across my boobs in big orange letters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Watts View Post
    Yes, the world is a strange place. Have a glass of wine.