The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Has anyone used sod?

My front yard drives me nuts. Half of it is bare ground. I've reseeded it god knows how many times. It just doesn't seem to grow. It will sprout, grow like mad & the next spring - nothing.

The ground stinks. I could really use a load of horse manure here!

I'm half way thinking of adding some top soil and just putting down sod. I'm afraid of it all dying next summer & it looking worse than it does now. It's a tiny yard - only about 5'x10'.

Has it worked for anyone here?

Yeah. It will die like the grass seed. I can't tell you how many times I've reseeded and sodded bare spots.

Finally brilliant SO got this idea. Grass grows in other areas I don't want it to grow. Pull it out and plant it in bare spots. It works very well, because that's the tough grass that grows between tiny cracks on concrete and hard to grow places. I don't care what kind it is. I've slowly been putting all of that stuff in my bare lawn spots, and it's the only stuff that sticks. Just make sure you get roots with it.

1 members found this post helpful.

and I have so much grass everywhere I don't want it! If you can get a load of horse manure, put it down then put a cover of something (landscape fabric?) over it for the winter, you'll have much better ground next spring.

I used manure to mulch around my shrubs/dog kennel area and this year I was pulling up wheelbarrows of grass. The dirt is loose and lovely to work in, but deargawd....there was so much grass!

Come get some of mine!

I'm frequently tempted to just pave right up to the front door.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Yeah. It will die like the grass seed. I can't tell you how many times I've reseeded and sodded bare spots.

Finally brilliant SO got this idea. Grass grows in other areas I don't want it to grow. Pull it out and plant it in bare spots. It works very well, because that's the tough grass that grows between tiny cracks on concrete and hard to grow places. I don't care what kind it is. I've slowly been putting all of that stuff in my bare lawn spots, and it's the only stuff that sticks. Just make sure you get roots with it.
    This. My dad is a general contractor, and does this when his clients complain their grass isn't growing very well.

We regraded a good section of the back yard for water control. It is an area fenced for the dogs. I really did not want to figure out how to keep them out of a seeded area and the mud so we sodded.

We put down some nice seasoned horsed manure, some fertilizer and the sod. If it didn't rain that day it got watered for the entire summer. Do not let the sod dry out the first summer. It is now nicer than the rest of the dog yard.

We have another area of the yard where we did weed and feed, reseed, weed & feed, reseed and it always looked crappy. Two pick-up trucks of manure flung around the yard and the grass started to grow.

Horse manure fixes a lot of dirt woes without all the chemicals.

For a small area OP has I would strip of the existing grass, rototill in some nice well seasoned horse manure and get good sod. I get mine from a landscape place on the same day he has it delivered. It is way cheaper than Lowe's/Home Depot and I know it got cut the day before at the longest. I want it as fresh as possible.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

If you add a few inches of top soil, and then sod, plus water it regularly according to directions, then it will be fine. Be careful to pick the kind that grows best for your climate, and shade conditions. If you do this, then plan on doing it soon, before the end of the sod growing season, or it might not root enough to keep growing next spring. Because it's the end of the season, you might get a really good deal on delivery and installation, but make sure they do the top soil right first.

If you can keep everyone off of it you could save a little with adding top soil, and hydroseeding (the green spray of fertilizer, and grass seed), but make sure it's the right grass for your area. I personally think sod is better.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Insta-lawn! Yes, we used sod for our back yard landscaping. We did prepare the "soil" (hardpan clay in Sacramento) by tilling in manure and then rolled out the sod. Worked beautifully, and is 15 years old and still growing very well.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom