The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fences, What kind and who to get to build it?

I plan on fencing the back and part of the sides of my new little house for the kitties. Even though there is nothing but dense field and woods to the back and sides the road is fairly busy for a country road.
    NEver have put a fence up before, other than horse fencing, so have no idea where to look, I do have a guy who says he can build me one, he said it is less expensive that a pre made one.
    I want it to be a privacy fence, not going to fence the front. the house and yard are too cute. Just wondering what options there are and where to look for ideas.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Look in the phone book yellow pages under fencing and start calling. Also, ask friends in the area who would build you a privacy fence.

That's what I did when I bought my farm 23 yrs ago. I was looking for horse fencing and back then the prices ranged from $12/installed foot and they supplied the material to $1/installed foot and I supplied the materials.

Isn't there something called Angie's List for stuff like that?
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

The best fence that lasts forever is to use metal, square poles with bolt holes both directions, cement them in, and get the 8' panels for stockade fence and bolt them to the poles. Then, you just fill in the bolt sections with screwed in individual pickets. If you build from scratch and use wood, then use cedar, three cross pieces of 2 x 4, screwed in, and because you want the better side for you, put the smooth or prettier fence slats towards you-plus that way the cats can't work there way up and over. And if you need to screw in any slats or replace any, then you just unscrew them, put another in it's place, drill a small pilot hole while it's in place, and screw in the two screws per cross piece. It takes maybe a couple of minutes to replace the slats. And I get spare fence slats, and keep them in a big plastic trash can, so they aren't on the wet floor or the garage or basement, and are out of the way.

You can also get vinyl coated chain link, and the black vinyl looks really good, plus the gates aren't so heavy (my former privacy fence gate knocked me flat a few months ago, so it's now black vinyl).
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

JanM, is that fence tornado proof? Holy moly.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

Ooooh, you've reminded me about something I wanted opinions on. I have a similar issue, with a few wrinkles. I need to fence the back of our new property for dogs. It's 3.5 acres, brush/woody conservation land on all sides but the street, which can be quite busy. House is 600 feet from the road, so it would be prohibitively expensive to try to fence the whole thing.

The backyard part to be fenced is probably 700 linear feet around. Our dogs would probably be fine with a 5 foot chain link or deer fence, but we have wildlife that currently hangs out in the backyard, it's more field than lawn. Coyote, deer, lots of bunnies and a large bobcat, as big as my ACD. Anything that keeps the dogs in would likely keep the coyote out, but I'm sure the bobcat can climb and the deer can jump. Bunnies will chew anything not metal. There are woodchucks, but their territory seems to be the front yard, a ways from the house.

I won't leave the dogs out when we're not home, but still don't want any emergencies with a large deer or bobcat in the yard with them.

Any ideas on what fence would be appropriate?

Laura-nothing is tornado proof, but the because Colorado has heavy winds from thunderstorms, the winter gales, and blizzards, the fence is pretty tough. The toughest is the ones with one wide slat on the inside, the next on the outside, because it lets the wind through. The solid ones are kind of like an airplane wing, because they're solid. You need the third horizontal support for strength. The cedar is better than pine, but all they use where I lived now (Alabama) is pine, which depending on the grade, deteriorates quickly, warps, and the nails come out. I'm probably going to replace my 3 sides and the one short side with black vinyl chain. It's going to have to hold up the rotten fence that belongs to the rental house next door, so I might have to get the 6' chain on that side. The black vinyl chain is about $2 per linear foot more than the plain chain link, but it looks a lot better. Before you hire a contractor, get an estimate, and go look at other fences they've done that have aged a bit, and if you can, ask the homeowners if they'd hire them again.

Wow JAn, You sound like you have built one.
    I need to have pictures, and I guess have someone come out to give me an estimate.
    Sigh, I am good with digging but not with building.
    First off I need a survey!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I've lived in Colorado, and replaced pickets, and one cross piece. Here in Alabama I fortunately only put up chain link in the last house, but had the builder fence now-cheapest pine out there, and it sucks. I have to go out regularly and pound nails back in (that and the warping pickets will never stop), put back entire panels (front the neighbor owned but rented side-but it was in the way), and I've always hired a fence company. The only people I know who did their own here took about a year to put their fence up. The cedar from Colorado is good wood, but the lousy, cheap pine here is a nightmare. They have better grades of pine and treated pine, but they still take maintenance, and need to be treated so they don't deteriorate. I'm probably going to bite the bullet and put up the other two long sides, back and one short side (fortunately no gate), so I don't have to watch the stupid fence fall down a lot. I really like the fact that privacy fence blocks the view, but the pine privacy fences are a problem here. Don't get the chain fence with the aluminum slats in it either-it's awful when the wind hits the slats and when it gets older.

Op ... any fence that does not perform the job you want ... Control kitties (that can climb ) is worthless ... Make sure what ever fence you put up can perform the function first. Then price, installation, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    Ooooh, you've reminded me about something I wanted opinions on. I have a similar issue, with a few wrinkles. I need to fence the back of our new property for dogs. It's 3.5 acres, brush/woody conservation land on all sides but the street, which can be quite busy. House is 600 feet from the road, so it would be prohibitively expensive to try to fence the whole thing.

The backyard part to be fenced is probably 700 linear feet around. Our dogs would probably be fine with a 5 foot chain link or deer fence, but we have wildlife that currently hangs out in the backyard, it's more field than lawn. Coyote, deer, lots of bunnies and a large bobcat, as big as my ACD. Anything that keeps the dogs in would likely keep the coyote out, but I'm sure the bobcat can climb and the deer can jump. Bunnies will chew anything not metal. There are woodchucks, but their territory seems to be the front yard, a ways from the house.

I won't leave the dogs out when we're not home, but still don't want any emergencies with a large deer or bobcat in the yard with them.

Any ideas on what fence would be appropriate?
    my suggestion would be livestock panels. They would not do for the OP, but your dogs are large enough that 52" tall panels would work. They are 16 feet long and strong enough that you don't need corner posts, just put a landscape timber down and have a strong guy bend it up. At 52" deer can still jump but then they have to jump back out with dogs on their heels and all the resident deer around here learned quick that it was easier to stay onthe other side. Bunnies....well, that was just a massacre till the girls learned to keep their babies out. My yard was not 700 ft, but you won't find stronger fencing for the price (my panels were about $12 each, prob more now). I used landscape timbers for my posts.
    http://sierrafencetx.com/gallery/cattle-panel-fencing/

Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    Op ... any fence that does not perform the job you want ... Control kitties (that can climb ) is worthless ... Make sure what ever fence you put up can perform the function first. Then price, installation, etc
    They are too old to climb! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    They are too old to climb! LOL
    They may be too old to climb now but what about if you get some more kitties when this batch crosses the Rainbow Bridge? Would you consider some of the chain link enclosures that are sold for dog's? They are usually 6' high, maybe 10' x10' and you could easily put a chicken wire top so any new kitties couldn't climb out. They do sell tarps also that go over the top but I would think a smart kitty could easily climb up and through a gap in the tarp cover.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...rm=dog+fencing
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

A friend's son had a ground floor level basement. He built an entire chain link room, two stories tall, including top, with the sun fabric to keep everyone from overheating. He hauled a huge tree from the river in there first, and planted it firmly, and used a kitty door in the window, with ramps on either side. The cats loved it, but he should have put a people gate in the side, because when it needed cleaning he had to crawl in and out of the window to clean it up. On bare ground I would put a bunch of sand, and use it for litter, because you know they will do that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    my suggestion would be livestock panels. They would not do for the OP, but your dogs are large enough that 52" tall panels would work. They are 16 feet long and strong enough that you don't need corner posts, just put a landscape timber down and have a strong guy bend it up. At 52" deer can still jump but then they have to jump back out with dogs on their heels and all the resident deer around here learned quick that it was easier to stay onthe other side. Bunnies....well, that was just a massacre till the girls learned to keep their babies out. My yard was not 700 ft, but you won't find stronger fencing for the price (my panels were about $12 each, prob more now). I used landscape timbers for my posts.
    http://sierrafencetx.com/gallery/cattle-panel-fencing/
    I've attached them to livestock gates to keep dogs in/out too. I saw a fence in a magazine made of pressure treated posts, livestock panels and a sightboard on top. The whole things was painted black. It was a very attractive fence.

Just looked at the photo...that's almost what I was talking about.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

See here is the big dilemma guys.
    All three of them have lived here for 10 years or more. when someone dumped them. We have lots of land in a rural area set way off the road, never had a fence. They never go near the road. Too car scared.
    But this house sits fairly near the road. I know I cannot even let them out for a while till they get acclimated, they adore going outside, IT is the only part of buying this house I am second guessing. They so love there outside time. Two of them never leave the deck or the area by the garage, the male wanders around at night, in the woods. but never leaves.
    Sigh... I do plan on getting another shepherd someday.

There's something I saw in a ad recently called a Cat something, that is an outdoor room, with a top, and a secure gate for cats.

http://www.google.com/search?q=cat+o...w=1360&bih=622

Here are some pictures from Google of different enclosures.

Here they are:

http://www.cagesbydesign.com/t-suncatchercat.aspx I bet you could get something like this built by some handyman a lot cheaper than these things, and you might find a used one on Craigslist.

Wow there are some really creative ones people have made.
    Thanks for that!