The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Legal Advice- Ripoff Report

I recently found out that back in 2011, someone filed a ripoff report against my name. At that period of time I did not have a business nor did I offer any services. The content of the report is childish and is basically doing nothing but calling me a fat, ugly, liar. Apparently I had pissed off someone in my personal life who felt the need to go on a childish, internet rant against me. I have a fairly good idea of who it was as well.

Normally this wouldn't bother me, but if you google my name it is one of the first results that pop up. I'm quite concerned that any potential future employers, etc, will find this. I contacted ripoff report that it was a slanderous (libelous?) post and since it reflected no business transaction that I would like to have it removed. They replied with a canned response that it is not possible. I can either pay to have it arbitrated or I could "get over it". I was so livid after I received that response that I had a minor breakdown.

So my question is this. Should I go for some legal action against them? Or should I just drop it? Anyone who reads the post will realize that it is something along the lines of a jilted ex lover (or a mentally unstable horse person...)

Thanks in advance
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I can't help you much there... but did you e-mail Ripoff report or call them? If you e-mailed, then I would call them instead. May be better to speak with someone about how it was just a "revenge" report against you, not because of a poor business.

I don't think I would drop it... if for some reason a potential employer or customer(if you ever start your own business) sees it then they will be cautious of you. When I was looking for a Great Dane puppy a month ago I looked up the name of someone close by to me on ripoff report. Turns out she got a pretty bad review from someone. One bad review was enough to send me in another direction.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

I would gladly call but they do not have a customer service phone number, or any number at all. I've done some google sleuthing for it and have come up completely dry
    **Friend of bar.ka**

My equine soulmate

http://who.is/whois/ripoffreport.com

Lists the contact number for the owner of Ripoff Report, if you really want to start being the squeaky wheel.

2 members found this post helpful.

Maybe you could just enter a rebuttal, with the points you made here.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    Maybe you could just enter a rebuttal, with the points you made here.
    I thought about that. The only problem is that the last post was in 2011. I don't want to raise the page's hits and bump it back up to the top.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

My equine soulmate

My first instinct was to suggest you try to work with Google instead, but it seems they won't remove content that doesn't belong to you from their search without a court order.

These folks suggest creating enough content that ranks higher in Google that the Ripoff material gets buried further down the search results.

http://regainyourname.com/news/buryi...earch-results/

And, tell all your friends and acquaintances (including anyone here who knows or can find out your real name) NOT to click on the Google result for the Ripoff report...it will only push it further up the search results.

What a creep he is to make a personal and insulting attack on OP! Not an attack on her professionally, but personally. I wouldn't want to stir the crazy guy up again, but there has to be some way to negate the post there. I assume that he'll get a notice if you or anyone else posts on the ripoff report?

Darn, I miss the old days when my boss only got letters saying I was anti-black, anti-gay, anti-semitic, anti-male, anti-white, anti-catholic, etc. (Each time I tried some criminal of any group.) Uh no, i was anti-criminal.