The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Twin Peaks

As long as tv shows are coming up, anyone remember Twin Peaks? It's on Netflix and I watched the entire first season. It was on tv during some of my no-tv years (1990-91) so I missed it.

I loved it. Anybody else?

4 members found this post helpful.

Spoiler Alert:

I shot Laura Palmer.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

2 members found this post helpful.

My husband has the whole series on VHS and we watched it together when we started dating... very addictive. But I love David Lynch's weirdness.

Do NOT watch "Fire Walk With Me." Just Do Not Do It.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes, I've heard that I should enjoy the 2 seasons of the show and skip Fire Walk. But I loved that first season so much, think I'll watch it again. I was aware of the show when it was on because it was HUGE. So many people talking about it and I was like hmmpf, a tv show, you gotta be kidding.....

Well, I was wrong.

It ends on such an awful unfinished crazy episode that you will really really want to watch FWWM just in hopes of getting some closure. Don't give in. Just accept that everything in the world is wrong and strange and effed up. Then watch HBO's Carnivale and do the same horrible masochistic thing to yourself all over again.

I went to high school with Laura Palmer's younger brother. Never watched the show, but my mother was addicted to it!

MrB loves it, but i never quite got into it.... Dunno if I just wasn't paying enough attention
    I do love some northern exposure episodes that have a similar, discordant, unnerving feel to them.

And then there's the Psych episode mock of twin peaks, awesome
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Quote Originally Posted by bits619 View Post
    MrB loves it, but i never quite got into it.... Dunno if I just wasn't paying enough attention
    I do love some northern exposure episodes that have a similar, discordant, unnerving feel to them.
    Northern Exposure was the best show ever. I loved that show so damn much. My husband, when I tried to get him into it, was only slightly interested though.

We were just watching the last season of it tonight. Best show ever. Some of the episodes make me all teary eyed I still have refused to watch the last two episodes ever because I don't want it to 'end'!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Both Twin Peaks and Northern Exposure are in my hit list. Loved them both. And now I live in Washington, the home of both of them! I keep meaning to re-watch Twin Peaks in order to see things I recognize. One of the schools in my town, Carnation, was the police headquarters. The exterior, anyway. And nearby Salish Lodge was… What was it called, just the Black Lodge? I'm drawing a blank!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

I admit I couldn't get Laura Palmer's face out of my mind. So I actually looked it up and David Lynch, to keep costs down, wanted to hire a local girl (they filmed in Washington state) because she was just to play a dead body but she did one other scene (the "home video" one) and you just could not look away from her. From Wikipedia:

"To save on money, Lynch intended to cast a local girl from Seattle "just to play a dead girl". The local girl ended up being Sheryl Lee. "But no one — not Mark, me, anyone — had any idea that she could act, or that she was going to be so powerful just being dead." Indeed, the image of Lee wrapped in plastic became one of the show's most enduring and memorable images. And then, while Lynch shot the home movie that James takes of Donna and Laura, he realized that Lee had something special. "She did do another scene — the video with Donna on the picnic — and it was that scene that did it." As a result, Sheryl Lee became a semi-regular addition to the cast, appearing in flashbacks as Laura, and becoming a recurring character—Maddy, Laura's cousin...."

Wiki's source for Lynch quotes is Rodley, Chris (1997). "Lynch on Lynch". Faber & Faber.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Spoiler Alert:

I shot Laura Palmer.

Keep dreaming Badger. I offed her after I had my slice of cherry pie.

(Twin Peaks is why I really love The Killing - it's just a grown up serious psychological version of Who Killed Laura Palmer)

That psych episode is a must see for all fans of Twin Peaks!
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Twin Peaks will be out on Blu-Ray in the near future and it will be on Netflix HD too. I was a wee kid when it was out so I never watched it.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    (Twin Peaks is why I really love The Killing - it's just a grown up serious psychological version of Who Killed Laura Palmer)
    Thanks for mentioning this! I needed something new to watch since I don't do cable, and I can get these online. So excited!!

I love all the quirky shows like TP, NE, and the newer American Horror Story.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    Keep dreaming Badger. I offed her after I had my slice of cherry pie.
    Perhaps you are confusing "Twin Peaks" with "Dallas?" It's "Dallas" where it was all a dream....
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Besides, she wasn't shot.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    Northern Exposure was the best show ever. I loved that show so damn much. My husband, when I tried to get him into it, was only slightly interested though.
    Agree 1000x
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My favorite TP weirdness is when they scrape under her fingernails and find...

...an R
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

I love twin peaks and northern exposure, but I was too young to really get them when they were on tv. Watched them again later in life. Curious if anyone else has noticed the amount of Twin Peaks actors, (and at least 1 Northern Exposure,) who have been involved with WB/CW shows? Whats the correlation there?

Really? Which actors? Maybe because WB/CW programmed for a younger demographic and was more accepting of "different"? People get so typecast. Look at Kyle McLachlen's work. Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks, Dune...

Or maybe some of the TP producers & writers ended up at WB so brought them in, like Johnny Galecki, Laurie Metcalf, and Sara Gilbert on Big Bang Theory after all being together with the same exec. producer/creator on Roseanne.