The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anybody buy a 1/2 or 1/4 beef ?

I am buying for the first time a 1/4 beef from a local butcher. Its not organic or strictly grass fed. Its pasture raised with no antibiotics, growth hormones and I guess fed normal Cow chow.

I just picked up my 7.0 cubic foot freezer from Home Depot the other night and plugged it in. The butcher said a 7 foot freezer will store a 1/2 beef so I should have plenty of room plus room for other frozen stuff.

I am picking up the beef tomorrow. I had them cut it into 1" steaks and hamburger with some kebobs thrown in. No roasts.

The 1/4 came to 180 lbs hanging weight. Not sure exactly how much I will end up with in little packages.

I am wondering how long it will last 2 people? In the summer, we will grill alot, in the winter, I like to make chilis, meat sauce, meatloaf and beef enchiladas. So, I will have plenty of options for the hamburger.

I have a friend who has 3 kids and they said they buy a 1/2 beef and it lasts them 6 to 7 months.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

General rule of thumb is 60% of the hang weight comes back to you as meat. 1/4 should last 2 people a fairly long time if it isn't your sole source of protein. It is probably close to 6mos worth of meat
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Just got the call yesterday from the butcher that our 1/2 is ready. Feed anywhere from 2 - 5 people, 1 -2 times per week, plus picnics, giving some away. Last about a year. All cuts, roasts, stew meat, ground, steaks, right around $3.00 a pound yummy. Can't even get "cheap" ground at the grocery store for that around here.
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

6-7 mos sounds about right to me. We raise our own grass-fed Highland beef. I think once you try it, you will never go back to the grocery meat counter.

1 members found this post helpful.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Yup, for the last few years we get 1/2 an Angus steer from a friend at our barn...her husband "ranches" on a small scale, and is fanatic about his cattle. We love having beef in the freezer. We do steaks, roasts, short ribs (yum!), soup bones, stew meat and lots of hamburger. Next time, we're keeping the brisket so my nephew can smoke it on his Traeger grill.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

How long it lasts is wholly dependent on how often you cook with beef.

I love buying this way. Just know that the flavor of beef can vary quite a lot by producer.

I tend to take the steaks and cut them up into thin strips for stir fry rather than eating them as steaks these days. Thus, I am feeding four people for nearly a year off a quarter beef (with other foods mixed in of course).
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket