The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Our ACD once went to get a drink out of an open toilet...she had a bone in her mouth. She dropped the bone to get a drink and the bone went down the toilet and got stuck in that twisty drain area. Of course, we weren't aware that this had happened until the toilet overflowed the next time it was used. We had to take the whole toilet out and spin it around until the bone fell out. You'd THINK that incident would have been enough to make DH remember to put the lid down, but it wasn't. I'm NOT helping with any other "lid left up" disasters...he's on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Capall View Post
    I really don't like spraying fecal matter around the bathroom. Lid down, then flush. It's a sanitary thing!
    This. Particles spray all over the place, you just can't see them.

3 members found this post helpful.

My husband can't reply since he's not on Coth. However he does put the lid down. Always has, his mom taught him that.
    However we did have a 7 year period where the lid was almost always up despite the family always leaving it down. Our GSD insisted toilet water was Da Bomb. And he was smart enough to learn how to lift the lids himself to get at it.
    Looking back, he was smart enough for me to have taught how to put the lid back down when he was done, LOL! He did learn to put his own toys away and put his food bowls in the sink when he was done eating so they could be washed. He also learned to pick up sticks and branches off the lawn before I mowed, but had a hard time leaving them in the woods where he'd put them. That boy LOVED sticks and balls.
    Lordy I miss that boy.

FWIW, I'm in CT and have well water. The interior of the house never gets warm and damp enough to grow mold in the toilet...not to mention the year round temp of our well water is between 40-45 degrees. Keeps the toilet bowl cold.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Makes sense but still doesn't answer the question why GUYS put both the lid and seat down.

I know very few women who put the lid down after use.

But reading the answers to questions posed on COTH gives me interesting insight into what the teachers of English lit get into when grading essay questions on tests!
    RoanPonyMare

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    I always leave the lid up. I don't want any extra obstacles between me and the bowl when I gotta go and time is critical.
    BINGO!
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

I'm voting for LexInVA's, amastrike's, and MistyBlue's replies. MistyBlue, your husband, despite not being on COTH, may have answered as spokesman for several of the COTH guys I asked:

"Because our moms taught us to."

Very good answer! He and Lex and amastrike -- and you! -- have got BINGO as far as I'm concerned!
    RoanPonyMare

I recently had to retrain my husband to quit putting the lid down.

I found out I have ulcerative colitis - when you're in full flare, as I was until about a week ago, the urge to go strikes often, hard, and with little to no warning, and it is messy. There is no time for niceties like oh, grabbing a book on the way or even closing the bathroom door and firing up the fart fan. A couple of times I've screamed at him to put the magazine down, wipe and get off because I'm coming in and cannot be stopped!

So I don't want him putting the lid down. Thankfully everything is getting back under control with meds, but when I need the john I just want to sit and release, no extra steps, thanks. And I don't want to have to clean the lid either.

LOL, Mr Blue has the old school mom, "It just isn't done, Billy!" And if Billy forgot, wooden spoon.
    But then she always felt bad if he got whomped, so she'd go buy him something, LOL!

Hmmmm, that explains a lot.

Oh geez Mara...UC? Tough thing to deal with.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I'm a female and I can't speak for any guys but my cat is determined that the toilet is the place to sit in the bathroom and that she obviously can't jump on the counter without using the toilet to get up there (though she can get on my kitchen table....cats). She fell in the toilet once and trying to bath her wasn't enjoyable so now the toilet, at least the one that's off my bedroom, has the lid down all the time.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    not if you clean it.
    THANK YOU!!!! I was reading these responses about mold and mildew and it was giving me the creeps! Do you people who have a mold/mildew problem when you keep the toilet lid closed not clean your toilets? I close my toilet lids all the time except for when they're in use....never had a mold problem. BECAUSE I CLEAN MY TOILETS REGULARLY.

WTF!
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

4 members found this post helpful.

Why don't women put the lid up? Sitting to pee doesn't rank higher than standing.

Guys consider it a minor thing when women leave the lid/seat down...we just have to put it up...not a big hassle so we don't complain about it.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    Why don't women put the lid up? Sitting to pee doesn't rank higher than standing.

Guys consider it a minor thing when women leave the lid/seat down...we just have to put it up...not a big hassle so we don't complain about it.
    ah...the splatter is better contained squatting....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    ah...the splatter is better contained squatting....
    Not if you aim well....I hear lots of complaints about the mess women make "hovering".
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Not if you aim well....I hear lots of complaints about the mess women make "hovering".
    LOL, I don't hover over my toilet...though I should...my guys forget they are house broken some times, maybe time to roll up that news paper...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Actually we women can sit on the rim when the lid is up.

I can't think of any reason why we'd want to, but we can ...

Can't think of any reason why some moms teach their sons to pee sitting down, saw that in a movie once and thought, "Oh, that poor kid, he's old enough to go to school, don't the other boys make fun of him?" (One Fine Day -- NOT for him!) I've helped to housebreak boys and they stood. Not a derogatory term, just less offensive to me than "potty training" but then I'm not a mom ... and when I talk to kids I speak regular English.

Anyway, just saying ...
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by RPM View Post
    Makes sense but still doesn't answer the question why GUYS put both the lid and seat down.
    I don't understand the question. You have gotten many responses with good reasons for putting the lid down. Doesn't it seem reasonable that guys who put the lid down do it for these reasons? Or do you think that we're too weird to do anything for logical reasons, and that there must be some mysterious "guy thing" involved?

The consequences are different. If the seat is down, the worst that will happen with a man is that he won't notice and might create a little splatter. If the seat is up, the worst that will happen with a woman is that she won't notice and will fall in. Falling in is worse than splattering.

5 members found this post helpful.

I read MistyBlues response too quickly, and wondered why her husband cleared the lawn of sticks before mowing but wouldn't leave the sticks alone. Had to read it twice before I got that "boy" was her dog.
    I have Toto toilets, after doing 6 months research. It's has a slow moving self closing lid. It is convenient.

Oh for pete's sake: Why do guys put the lid down?

Because if they are living with or visiting overnight with a woman friend, if the guy does not put the lid down, he will not go canoeing........much less kayaking!

There is a slo-mo going round the internet of the spray and how far it goes in a bathroom - consider the facecloths and toothbrushes - ;(
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

2 members found this post helpful.