The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

nobody I know here trailers their horse to the vet clinic because they just do not have the facilities. There are a few vet hospitals in the area where you will take the horse for colic and other surgeries, but for lameness or other routine care, the vets come to the farm with a vet truck. The only times I trailered my mare (draft x) to a clinic was for a tooth extraction that the vet felt would not be safe at the barn (no stock) and she stayed 4 days and for sinus flushes for a week. Otherwise, everything is done out of the truck!

Makes no sense to me: requiring ID for nail polish or spray paint, but just about everyone is allowed to own guns!

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    nobody

Makes no sense to me: requiring ID for nail polish or spray paint, but just about everyone is allowed to own guns!

The ID is required because CHILDREN buy nail polish remover and spray paint to get high on...it's called huffing and can cause death ..

same as adults buying OTC cold meds to manufacture Meth .

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    Clearly you have never tried to buy a gun.

"sniffing glue". Been around a long time, and nail polish remover is much easier for kids to get than model airplane glue, cheaper, more sales outlets etc.

I don't really understand the need for legislation, but undoubtedly veterinarians need to be able to carry controlled substances on farm calls and if this corrects a situation where the letter of the law is being violated then I guess we need to support the bill. It's federal? What's the number on it again?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    ...and heaven forbid one of us gals wants to do our nails after an afternoon at the barn, forget our ID so can't purchase nail polish remover at the CVS [who is now requiring ID's for said purchase of nail polish remover]
    Yes! I was shocked when that happen to me the other day. Is the DEA running the country now? It's a really eerie feeling when your name and driver's license number is put into some Federal database for buying a small bottle of nail polish remover?

Good grief! Let's disband this organization (DEA). The "war on drugs" is a complete and utter failure.

This may be a stupid question but how does one get high from spray paint? Don't you end up with paint all over your face?
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tiburon View Post
    The ID is required because CHILDREN buy nail polish remover and spray paint to get high on...it's called huffing and can cause death ..
    If that were true, then why did the cashier at CVS not just look at the license and check DOB like they do with cigarettes or alcohol? She had to actually type my driver's licence number into her cash register/computer.

same as adults buying OTC cold meds to manufacture Meth .
    So what? If they want to live like that, I say, let 'em. Do we really need to spend billion$ in law enforcement and jails "protecting" idiots from themselves while the average person is subjected to this type of violation?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverBendPol View Post
    This may be a stupid question but how does one get high from spray paint? Don't you end up with paint all over your face?

Yep.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I say this working in a pediatric ICU...the DEA can regulate all they want but when children are being curious and experimental or depressed/misunderstood and wish to act out on that - they will always find something to get into trouble with. If it's not one thing it's another and I am on the receiving end of seeing children die of these mistakes. But I also believe the only thing that minimizes (not stops - because frankly that's impossible depending on how motivated the child is) it is good solid vigilant PRESENT parenting. Not ID checks at CVS.

rcloissone wrote: So what? If they want to live like that, I say, let 'em. Do we really need to spend billion$ in law enforcement and jails "protecting" idiots from themselves while the average person is subjected to this type of violation?

I agree with you about the idiots, but I think the DEA thinks it's protecting those of us who don't use, but are victims of those who do. Even if we aren't burgled or assaulted by some junkie, it costs us taxpayers big bucks to arrest them for whatever they've done and try them and pay for their lawyers.

However, I don't know what they think they're doing by "enforcing" their ill-considered law only in California and Washington. I think they ought to personally experience wrangling a herd of cows while transporting them to a brick and mortar vet's office for exams and innoculations.

Last news I've heard:
    http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-...ouse-bill/1528 is the official tracker stating "04/30/2013 Referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, and Investigations."

FWIW, I just got an email from my Congressman Bob Goodlatte in response to sending the AVMA suggested letter via their site:

"Thank you for contacting me regarding your support for the Veterinary Medicine Mobility Act. I appreciate hearing from you and I share your concerns.

Veterinary medicine is an important service for our country. Whether it is servicing the health and wellbeing of our country's livestock, treating family pets, or advancing modern medicine that can be life-saving to humans, veterinarians play a vital role in our nation's economy.

As you know, the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) has recently interpreted the Controlled Substances Act to forbid veterinarians from carrying and administering certain drugs and medications on house calls, including farms, stockyards, and arenas. This rule is harmful to many veterinary practices, especially those that care for livestock, and is a prime example of an expansive federal bureaucracy that has little clue how agriculture and veterinary medicine is practiced.

To overcome this problem, I have cosponsored H.R. 1528, the Veterinary Medicine Mobility Act. This legislation would amend the Controlled Substances Act to prohibit a veterinarian who is registered to manufacture or distribute controlled substances from being required to have a separate registration in order to transport and dispense controlled substances in the usual course of veterinary practice at a site other than a veterinarian's principal place of business or professional practice, as long as the dispensing site is located in a state where the veterinarian is licensed to practice.

H.R. 1528 was introduced on April 12, 2013 and was referred to the House Committees on Energy and Commerce and the Judiciary. Rest assured, as Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee and a cosponsor of this legislation, I will work to see this legislation becomes law.

I appreciate you taking the time to contact me. I believe it is important to keep an open line of communication so I can best serve the interests of Virginia's 6th District. I hope you will continue to be in touch as the 113th Congress debates issues of importance to the United States.

Again, thank you for the benefit of your comments. Please feel free to contact me whenever I may be of assistance. "
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog