The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan. 18, 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada and South Australia
    Posts
    3,126

    Default DEA goes after Veterinarians truck

    This article came across my FB feed tonight. I think this law has been mentioned a few times over the last couple years here on the forum on a few topics. So thought I would pass it along. Something that horse people should talk to the political reps about.


    http://farmprogress.com/blogs-dea-go...ns-trucks-7073

    P.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan. 21, 2010
    Posts
    2,193

    Default

    The Veterinary Medicine Mobility Act was introduced to Congress in May in response to the DEA's enforcement of the CSA. It's backed by the AVMA.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2013
    Posts
    378

    Default

    You can't expect the current house of reps to actually act on anything, worthwhile or not. The members are too busy taking vacations, voting 40 times, unsuccessfully, to unfund the Affordable Care Act, and generally dithering around. Until each state goes to re-districting by non-partisan committees, we're stuck with the same dunderheads who've been in office forever.

    Contact your own congressman and senators to insist that they pass this revision or else, no matter what your political affiliation, or their political affiliation.
    Last edited by Hermein; Aug. 12, 2013 at 03:15 PM.


    12 members found this post helpful.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug. 25, 2005
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    10,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by morganpony86 View Post
    The Veterinary Medicine Mobility Act was introduced to Congress in May in response to the DEA's enforcement of the CSA. It's backed by the AVMA.
    This!!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    May. 17, 2003
    Posts
    5,618

    Default

    All of what Hermein said...

    And REALLY? The DEA has nothing more worthwhile to do with their time?

    Maybe they need their funding cut back a bit if they have so little real work to do.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr. 15, 2011
    Posts
    448

    Default

    What about those with mobile trucks that go from track to track doping horses that ultimately are owned/run for mexican drug cartels? I see a DEA connection there.
    "I am still under the impression there is nothing alive quite so beautiful
    as a thoroughbred horse."

    -JOHN GALSWORTHY



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2013
    Posts
    378

    Default

    And if your horse is too injured/sick to get in your own horse trailer and make the 40 mile trip to the nearest vet clinic? Have the DEA and their supporters considered the logistics involved in moving a 500 head herd of dairy cattle to the vet's office for injections?

    Saratoga TB, unfortunately, some racetrack vets commit many sins; in the face of some pretty stringent laws. If this particular nonsense is enforced, do you really think that the chemical horse abuse on the tracks would stop?


    2 members found this post helpful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug. 22, 2009
    Posts
    1,016

    Default

    It's odd because certainly we allow human doctors to take narcotics out on transport picking up patients. It's called a transport team and they carry transport boxes filled with medications and every day we inventory the narcotics/controlled substances and medicines that they need to safely bring in babies/children to our hospital via helicopter/ambulance.

    Granted the medicines are carefully tracked/logged and documented and under oversight by licensed pharmacists versus a veterinary practice where there can't be quite as much oversight. There are exceptions though for hospice care, etc. Surely though the DEA recognizes that the vets have to do their job and there can be some compromise addressed with just enhancing documentation or something.

    Good luck to the AVMA - would be lovely to see Congress do something right for a change...


    1 members found this post helpful.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    12,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rockfordbuckeye View Post
    Granted the medicines are carefully tracked/logged and documented and under oversight by licensed pharmacists versus a veterinary practice where there can't be quite as much oversight.
    I would think veterinary practices keep pretty good track of their controlled substances too.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2013
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Agree that vets keep track.

    I'm not a fan of politics, but sometimes you just have to get involved. Like on this matter. We have people (whom we elected) passing judgement on matters they know less than nothing about. In this particular case, I expect they think they'll be considered soft on drugs if they don't keep restrictions in place, regardless of how much damage it does.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan. 21, 2010
    Posts
    2,193

    Default

    The Controlled Substances Act was effective starting in 1970. As I understand, the parts of it affecting vets has only recently started to be enforced due to the "war on drugs". I think the vet-carrying-DEA-substances thing was something that was simply overlooked by non-veterinarian lawmakers. As I understand, there is absolutely no opposition to the VMMA and it should pass without issue. The way I see it is it's the Congress edition of "whoops, our bad" and they're righting it in the manner outlined by our Constitution.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar. 13, 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour
    Posts
    2,386

    Default

    You can send a letter to your congressman supporting the bill using this portal:
    http://avmacan.avma.org/avma/issues/...ertid=62592206
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

    "...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x


    1 members found this post helpful.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug. 22, 2009
    Posts
    1,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I would think veterinary practices keep pretty good track of their controlled substances too.
    When I say oversight, I'm talking about a non-involved party - like pharmacists - who are not profiting in anyway off the practice, etc. Checks and balances where their only job is to track but they are not allowed to administer/use and gain no benefit. It's a slightly higher level of accountability. If it wasn't - doctors would dispense drugs out of their own offices. There is a reason that they can only do that in very limited amounts.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2008
    Posts
    4,539

    Default

    SO the DEA is trying to squash what is legitimate and needed vet medicine/supplies, meanwhile the AG/DOJ is trotting around saying he's going to change the law to lessen penalites for nonviolent drug offenses (which BTW he's not supposed to do, just uphold the existing laws but I digress), and heaven forbid one of us gals wants to do our nails after an afternoon at the barn, forget our ID so can't purchase nail polish remover at the CVS [who is now requiring ID's for said purchase of nail polish remover]



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun. 12, 2009
    Location
    Up north
    Posts
    1,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    SO the DEA is trying to squash what is legitimate and needed vet medicine/supplies, meanwhile the AG/DOJ is trotting around saying he's going to change the law to lessen penalites for nonviolent drug offenses (which BTW he's not supposed to do, just uphold the existing laws but I digress), and heaven forbid one of us gals wants to do our nails after an afternoon at the barn, forget our ID so can't purchase nail polish remover at the CVS [who is now requiring ID's for said purchase of nail polish remover]
    Yup, and don't forget to bring your ID for your allergy meds. Sneezing counts just like polishing nails.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    12,506

    Default

    I did not know you needed ID to buy nail polish remover?
    wow.

    I remember when I was doing some touch up work on my old horse trailer and I went to Walmart to buy some spray paint (primer) and I was asked for ID to buy spray paint.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan. 25, 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I did not know you needed ID to buy nail polish remover?
    wow.

    I remember when I was doing some touch up work on my old horse trailer and I went to Walmart to buy some spray paint (primer) and I was asked for ID to buy spray paint.
    Maybe that was to make sure you were old enough. They are trying to keep some stuff out of the hands of teenagers that are using them in a drug related way.



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    12,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    Maybe that was to make sure you were old enough. They are trying to keep some stuff out of the hands of teenagers that are using them in a drug related way.
    I know it was to make sure I was old enough. The minimum age to buy spray paint is 18.
    I was just adding it to the list, like the nail polish remover.



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar. 24, 2004
    Location
    Pottstown, PA (East Coventry)
    Posts
    3,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I know it was to make sure I was old enough. The minimum age to buy spray paint is 18.
    I was just adding it to the list, like the nail polish remover.
    I thought the spray paint thing was anti-graffiti and the nail polish remover and allergy pills were to prevent production of meth. (And the really strong iodine)
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    12,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    I thought the spray paint thing was anti-graffiti and the nail polish remover and allergy pills were to prevent production of meth. (And the really strong iodine)
    Spray paint is used as a drug to get high.



Similar Threads

  1. Dodge truck owners-bought the truck! update!
    By Blume Farm in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Aug. 8, 2013, 08:57 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: May. 18, 2012, 02:33 PM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: Oct. 20, 2010, 09:48 AM
  4. Asheville, NC Veterinarians
    By ncsuequine in forum Off Course
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Apr. 5, 2010, 09:54 AM
  5. Using multiple veterinarians
    By mybeau1999 in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: Dec. 17, 2008, 04:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness