The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DEA goes after Veterinarians truck

This article came across my FB feed tonight. I think this law has been mentioned a few times over the last couple years here on the forum on a few topics. So thought I would pass it along. Something that horse people should talk to the political reps about.

http://farmprogress.com/blogs-dea-go...ns-trucks-7073

P.

The Veterinary Medicine Mobility Act was introduced to Congress in May in response to the DEA's enforcement of the CSA. It's backed by the AVMA.

2 members found this post helpful.

You can't expect the current house of reps to actually act on anything, worthwhile or not. The members are too busy taking vacations, voting 40 times, unsuccessfully, to unfund the Affordable Care Act, and generally dithering around. Until each state goes to re-districting by non-partisan committees, we're stuck with the same dunderheads who've been in office forever.

Contact your own congressman and senators to insist that they pass this revision or else, no matter what your political affiliation, or their political affiliation.
    Last edited by Hermein; Aug. 12, 2013 at 03:15 PM.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by morganpony86 View Post
    The Veterinary Medicine Mobility Act was introduced to Congress in May in response to the DEA's enforcement of the CSA. It's backed by the AVMA.
    This!!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

All of what Hermein said...

And REALLY? The DEA has nothing more worthwhile to do with their time?

Maybe they need their funding cut back a bit if they have so little real work to do.

6 members found this post helpful.

What about those with mobile trucks that go from track to track doping horses that ultimately are owned/run for mexican drug cartels? I see a DEA connection there.
    "I am still under the impression there is nothing alive quite so beautiful
    as a thoroughbred horse."

-JOHN GALSWORTHY

And if your horse is too injured/sick to get in your own horse trailer and make the 40 mile trip to the nearest vet clinic? Have the DEA and their supporters considered the logistics involved in moving a 500 head herd of dairy cattle to the vet's office for injections?

Saratoga TB, unfortunately, some racetrack vets commit many sins; in the face of some pretty stringent laws. If this particular nonsense is enforced, do you really think that the chemical horse abuse on the tracks would stop?

2 members found this post helpful.

It's odd because certainly we allow human doctors to take narcotics out on transport picking up patients. It's called a transport team and they carry transport boxes filled with medications and every day we inventory the narcotics/controlled substances and medicines that they need to safely bring in babies/children to our hospital via helicopter/ambulance.

Granted the medicines are carefully tracked/logged and documented and under oversight by licensed pharmacists versus a veterinary practice where there can't be quite as much oversight. There are exceptions though for hospice care, etc. Surely though the DEA recognizes that the vets have to do their job and there can be some compromise addressed with just enhancing documentation or something.

Good luck to the AVMA - would be lovely to see Congress do something right for a change...

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rockfordbuckeye View Post
    Granted the medicines are carefully tracked/logged and documented and under oversight by licensed pharmacists versus a veterinary practice where there can't be quite as much oversight.
    I would think veterinary practices keep pretty good track of their controlled substances too.

Agree that vets keep track.

I'm not a fan of politics, but sometimes you just have to get involved. Like on this matter. We have people (whom we elected) passing judgement on matters they know less than nothing about. In this particular case, I expect they think they'll be considered soft on drugs if they don't keep restrictions in place, regardless of how much damage it does.

The Controlled Substances Act was effective starting in 1970. As I understand, the parts of it affecting vets has only recently started to be enforced due to the "war on drugs". I think the vet-carrying-DEA-substances thing was something that was simply overlooked by non-veterinarian lawmakers. As I understand, there is absolutely no opposition to the VMMA and it should pass without issue. The way I see it is it's the Congress edition of "whoops, our bad" and they're righting it in the manner outlined by our Constitution.

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

You can send a letter to your congressman supporting the bill using this portal:
    http://avmacan.avma.org/avma/issues/...ertid=62592206
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I would think veterinary practices keep pretty good track of their controlled substances too.
    When I say oversight, I'm talking about a non-involved party - like pharmacists - who are not profiting in anyway off the practice, etc. Checks and balances where their only job is to track but they are not allowed to administer/use and gain no benefit. It's a slightly higher level of accountability. If it wasn't - doctors would dispense drugs out of their own offices. There is a reason that they can only do that in very limited amounts.

SO the DEA is trying to squash what is legitimate and needed vet medicine/supplies, meanwhile the AG/DOJ is trotting around saying he's going to change the law to lessen penalites for nonviolent drug offenses (which BTW he's not supposed to do, just uphold the existing laws but I digress), and heaven forbid one of us gals wants to do our nails after an afternoon at the barn, forget our ID so can't purchase nail polish remover at the CVS [who is now requiring ID's for said purchase of nail polish remover]

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    SO the DEA is trying to squash what is legitimate and needed vet medicine/supplies, meanwhile the AG/DOJ is trotting around saying he's going to change the law to lessen penalites for nonviolent drug offenses (which BTW he's not supposed to do, just uphold the existing laws but I digress), and heaven forbid one of us gals wants to do our nails after an afternoon at the barn, forget our ID so can't purchase nail polish remover at the CVS [who is now requiring ID's for said purchase of nail polish remover]
    Yup, and don't forget to bring your ID for your allergy meds. Sneezing counts just like polishing nails.

I did not know you needed ID to buy nail polish remover?
    wow.

I remember when I was doing some touch up work on my old horse trailer and I went to Walmart to buy some spray paint (primer) and I was asked for ID to buy spray paint.

I did not know you needed ID to buy nail polish remover?
    wow.

I remember when I was doing some touch up work on my old horse trailer and I went to Walmart to buy some spray paint (primer) and I was asked for ID to buy spray paint.
    Maybe that was to make sure you were old enough. They are trying to keep some stuff out of the hands of teenagers that are using them in a drug related way.

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    Maybe that was to make sure you were old enough. They are trying to keep some stuff out of the hands of teenagers that are using them in a drug related way.
    I know it was to make sure I was old enough. The minimum age to buy spray paint is 18.
    I was just adding it to the list, like the nail polish remover.

I know it was to make sure I was old enough. The minimum age to buy spray paint is 18.
    I was just adding it to the list, like the nail polish remover.
    I thought the spray paint thing was anti-graffiti and the nail polish remover and allergy pills were to prevent production of meth. (And the really strong iodine)
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    I thought the spray paint thing was anti-graffiti and the nail polish remover and allergy pills were to prevent production of meth. (And the really strong iodine)
    Spray paint is used as a drug to get high.