The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help with waterproofing blankets, stupid questions

Have never done this, but blankets are several years old and figure it can't hurt at this point. When do you put on the waterproofing, is it something you do in the wash or after they are dry? What kind is best to use, and the biggest dumb question...if not washed in then which side of the blanket?

Thanks!

I use NikWax in the washing machine. Make sure you clean the machine before and after. Soap residue will affect the waterproofing. It works fine for me.

However, if you have Schneider's blankets, the waterproofing is revived by putting them in the dryer. I'm almost switched over now.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

I have blankets that are still waterproof after 7-8 years of service. I don't use any type of waterproofing. I have bought similar used blankets that are not waterproof that are only a couple years old. In my opinion it's about the washing process. I handwash (with a mild soap) and air dry all my blankets. It's a bit of extra work, but no spray on, or paint on waterproofing will work as well as the original waterproofing...so I just spend a few days handwashing them on hot summer days. If the weather is hot and dry they dry the same day.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I use NikWax in the washing machine. Make sure you clean the machine before and after. Soap residue will affect the waterproofing. It works fine for me.

However, if you have Schneider's blankets, the waterproofing is revived by putting them in the dryer. I'm almost switched over now.
    Good to know, yes, my "big girls" blankets are Schneider's. Thanks!

I wash all my own blankets, and I have a lot of horses!
    I keep my turnouts for years. In fact, I just had to replace some that were 5 years old. I think that was good use.
    I use to use a small amount of whatever laundry detergent I had, but now I am using either the Rambo wash.
    I do not re-waterproof them...with camp dry. I did that one year outside for 5 blankets, and I thought I was going to die from how sore my lungs were. Never again. My lungs are too important, and they go to the dump, or are used as turnouts when the temps are cooler, but no worry about not being waterproof.

I always hang out to dry on the fenceline. If in doubt, call the manufacturer because some need the dryer to revive the waterproofing and others it will destroy the waterproof.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

I wash in mild soap, hang to dry, the spray the outside of the blanket with this stuff:

Scotchgard™ Outdoor Water Shields

Quote Originally Posted by Left at the Alter View Post
    Good to know, yes, my "big girls" blankets are Schneider's. Thanks!
    When the dryer stops working, you can buy waterproof from Schneiders. I haven't needed to yet.

I use Fred's to the Rescue in Frankfort, KY. They also clean and repair firefighter gear. They do a beautiful job and the blankets are dried in commercial dryer. Last year it was $12/blanket.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

I picked up a waterproofing spray at Bass Pro Shops this spring. After I washed and dried my blankets I sprayed the outside of them with the product.