The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mirena

Tell me how you like yours? Doc wants me to get one next week. I personally know four people who have/had them and they're 50/50 on working and happy and really really not working.

I was not a fan. It REALLY hurt being put in and taken out. It worked okay for the first two years and then not so much. The "string" ended up causing a ton of irritation. It just wasn't a good experience for me.

Of course I'm one of the fraction of folks that didn't have a successful ablation either... So maybe I was just doomed in that area. I did have a very successful hysterectomy! Best thing I ever did! I was able to keep my ovaries so no hormone replacement needed. Life is sooooooooo much better!
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Didn't hurt what so ever getting it placed.. Or removed. Was free through my insurance, and after the first 3 months of light periods, I was free of them till I had it removed. I had some other stuff going on that required the change of hormones and it started to cause some cystic acne, not horrible, just annoying. I'd recommend it! Fwiw though, I had it placed 6weeks after the birth of my son, so I'm sure that added to the zero pain factor
    ---^v---^v---^v----------------------^v---^v---^v---
    For a moment there, you bored me to death

I have the Paraguard copper IUD, so I can't comment on Mirena. But getting it placed is the same and it hurt, a lot. I actually fainted on my way out of the clinic after placement. I don't have any kids so that makes placing them more painful, or can I should say. I was fine the next day. I've never had any issues with the strings although I did worry about them for the first year. I was so concerned about it getting expelled or moving. Again, more likely if ypuve have never had kids. I don't worry about it anymore.

I've heard people love this iud because it makes your period lighter or stop it all together. I can't have any hormonal bc so that's why I have the copper iud. I can say that my periods are awful. They hurt horribly, are heavy and last a long time. But even with the negatives I like it. If I could get Mirena I would in a second.

You can ask for something to take to relax you before the appt and something for the pain. Just have someone to drive you. Most drs will agree to giving it if you have a ride home. If ypuve get it and hate it just have it removed. I say totally worth trying.
    Hope Blooming- Life with Chronic Pancreatitis

My blog: Life with Pancreatitis

I had mine put in a week and a half ago. Never had kids, so having it put in was a little uncomfortable. Had really bad cramps afterwards which lasted for about 2 days, and both Tylenol and Ibuprofen didn't really help with. I started my period 4 days after it was placed and it has been the most uncomfortable period I have ever had. It keeps kind of starting and stopping with terrible cramps. Never had much of any issue with any cramps before this which aren't relieved by any OTC meds. I'm hoping that after this, my period will sort of just disappear and the cramping will go away. I know a lot of people have cramping in the beginning, so I'm hoping mine will fade. Pretty uncomfortable right now though. I'm on the 5th day of my period and typically this would be about the last day of my period, so hoping this one is about over.

Love mine. Minor discomfort to place (I've had a kid). I do have periods still, but like one day of spotting instead of a full-on shark week!

It has 3 months left and it'll be replaced with a new one.
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

Love mine! I also have kids, some discomfort when placed, but having had kids and two uterine bx's it was minor. I have had mine 4 years, no periods! Will defiantly get another.

I had a terrible experience with Mirena. Almost passed out having it put in (and I am NOT a weenie). It was ok for the first month then for the next 18 months I had constant periods and the worst daily cramping I could imagine. I finally gave up and had it removed and wouldn't ever do it again.

I don't have one, but a good friend of mine does. Said it hurt like HELL getting it put in, (she has had a child) and even worse taking it out. She was periods, but they're really light. Like barely enough to need to wear a pad. It's worked for her. Her SIL got pregnant with one, though.

I've heard that they won't give you one unless you've had a kid? Is that just the Dr's preference?

eponacowgirl is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post

I've heard that they won't give you one unless you've had a kid? Is that just the Dr's preference?
    Must be Drs preference. Mine had no qualms about giving me one and I'm childless.

She warned me to pre-medicate with ibuprofen for 36 hours prior and gave me an rx for something that should soften my cervix. Hoping that will make it suck less.

I am a nulliparous woman and I also have a copper IUD (not Mirena, which has hormones, and I cannot have). I second who ever mentioned asking to have an anti-anxiety med prior to your procedure. Having it placed was neither painful nor stressful, and I am not pain tolerant at all. I said "Are you going to do it now?" and the doctor said "I already did!" So I guess it must depend on what drugs you take, the skill of the operator, conformation, etc? Look, nobody's cervix loves being pried open...but criminy, they are made to deliver human HEADS through.

The cramps that followed were no picnic, but with 600 mg Ibuprofen 3xday I was comfortable enough. As it says in your doctor's office - if you have pain, you have the right to be treated for it.

Strings are fine. They're supposed to curl up like fishing line. If they're too long, have them cut shorter.

Anyway, I like having an IUD. It's very freeing...if you're monogamous anyway.
    Disclaimer: My mom told me that people might look at my name and think I had an addiction other than horses. I don't; his name was Bravado.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

The "official" website defines it thus:
    Mirena is an FDA-approved intrauterine contraceptive system (also known as an IUD*) that is recommended for women who’ve had a child.
    So you'll be getting it off label unless you've had a child.
    http://www.mirena-us.com/about-mirena/
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

1 members found this post helpful.

I've had mine for 3years - never had (or plan on having) children, they knocked me out to put it in, do didn't feel anything then & hardly anything right after & haven't noticed it since, don't have periods, lost a few pounds in the months following (dr said due to the lower hormone than birth control pills) so I'm very happy with it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Didn't hurt when placed (had a child 4 weeks prior via c section) but I got pregnant not even 6 weeks later so didn't work for me although I guess insertion was incorrect... It was in my cervix not my uterus when we ultra sounded and had it removed. But my step dad is a high risk OB and not a fan... Due to the risk of uterine perforation and it moving around.

I know someone else who had one fall out, and another w serious issues with it. So wouldn't be my first choice. My friends who had the issues each had Mirena and I had Paraguard.

I've had mine since October. It took two tries to get it in (nothing was cooperating the first time and gyn was scared of injuring me, so they rescheduled for an ultrasound guided attempt), and both hurt like NOTHING I've ever experienced. INSANELY painful - even on my period, with 5 Advil pre-appt, and with an Ativan beforehand too. I haven't had kids so that may be why!

But? WORTH IT. I had some spotting for about a week, and the next few months I had a few days of spotting randomly (light spotting, as in only noticeable on TP), and now? Nothing. I adore the thing.

I never even considered an IUD, despite not wanting kids, until my gyn suggested it - I was a little wigged out at the idea at first, but it grew on me the more research I did, and now I'm psyched I have it. Though I admit I'm already dreading 4 years from now when I have to get it replaced! OW.

There's a great Livejournal (I know, LJ!) community that has a wealth of info: http://iud-divas.livejournal.com/

After reading the responses here, I think you're just going to have to try it and see!

Mine hurt like a BITCH to put in, I almost passed out, and was cursing while she was doing it, and that was WITH the Rx for the stuff that helps to dialate your cervix, and taking 800 milligrams of Ibuprofen about two hours before. I have a high pain tolerance. I was extremely crampy the remainder of the day, but had minimal spotting.

However, that pain was worth it. The next day I was 100% no cramps, no spotting, and haven't had either since. I had my Mirena put in on March 26 of this year, so just about 5 months ago now.

No irritation from the string, no apparent issues with the Mirena itself.

ETA: the gyno said that since I was on the Depo shot for about a year prior with no period, I would likely not have one after switching to the Mirena because I already had quite a bit of Progesterone in my system. It may be different if you go from no hormones at all to the Mirena, you may still have a period.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I hated mine. Had it taken out after 3 years of being miserable. It took me a while to put it together, but after struggling with a total lack of sex drive, fatigue, and cramps I finally asked my doctor to take it out. My problems resolved within a couple of weeks.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

*sigh* Epona see other people like it too, when will you learn to listen to me regarding your lady parts?

I've had mine for 4 1/2 years. LOVE IT. It will be getting replaced when it is due. I do not have kids, nor do I ever plan on having kids. Yeah it hurt like an ITCH getting put in, yeah there are some cramps... but they don't last. I haven't had a period in almost 5 years, so after dealing with being on the pill and it making me crazy and still having break through bleeding I'll take a little pain once every 5 years.

Just do it, you're insurance is going to pay for it. If you don't like it you aren't out any money. My insurance did not pay for any of it, selling Malcolm did... it's a toss up between Bob and Mirena as to which was the better spent money from that sale... I'm already saving up for the expense next March.

2 members found this post helpful.

I have had Paragard for 3 years (which means I have 7 left on this one!). I had it placed when DD was 10 months old. Placement was fine (they did it during my period) and I highly recommend not doing anything for the following few days. A day or so later I tried to work out and that was the only day I had cramping from it. I've always had really horrible terrible awful no good very bad periods that kept me home from school in bed with a heating pad so really no change there, they're not that bad anymore.

Any BC that is hormonal makes me SICK and CRAZY and fattish. I started the lowest doses available in 7th grade when ovarian cysts were popping up and making me have my period for 3 weeks and get it every 10 days and I'd spend most nights of every month getting sick...for seven years. Til I finally quit the pill and then eventually had DD and then found out about Paragard (at my yearly pap, saw a brochure that said "hormone-free BC? no related weight gain?" and I was like "yes please!") and it was like "where have you been all my life?" and it's been on the market longer than I've been alive! I had a couple really bad migraines in the first week or so after having it placed but that could have been coincidence, I have really bad migraines, have for years, and am on something for it now.

I have had 0 problems. I forget that it's there. When I go to the doctor and they ask what medications I'm on, I list all but Paragard and then later I will remember and I will blurt it out just because I don't want some horrible reaction to happen.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

Had one put in at the end of May. Never had a child and it was a brand name Mirena (saw the doctor take it out of the box). Was NOT a happy day after putting it in, not going to lie. But the cramps subsided entirely after about two days. I like it. It gives me no issues other than a menstrual cycle that is still getting itself straightened out, but I don't mind. I have not experienced any weight gain or mood issues.